Best 32'' Inch LCD TV's in £6-700 price ranges

A

Analogue

If it was in stock without doubt the last one c/w 5 year warranty! But I think it is a "flyer" and apart from the "one" they sold will never be in stock at this price.

S

ScousePig

I aren't too bothered about that specific price, i'm just nore bothered about which is the best TV, as they all appear to be in a similar sort of price range.

S

ScousePig

Thanks for replying. I noticed the Panasonic and the Phillips and thought they looked good, but i haven't heard much about them on here, why's that?

I've heard plenty about the Toshiba 32wlt66 and the Samsung LE32R74BDX which is why i thought i was torn between those two, but maybe not now. I really would appreciate any more in depth comparison and help.

S

ScousePig

Just looking at some of the specifications of these TV's, i haven't looked at them all but on the Panasonic and Samsung models under the 'Power Device' section the Frequency required says 50hz, or 50/60hz. Does this mean that the TV's are only 50hz, or does this mean something else? I was under the impression that these TV's would be 100hz.

I've also heard a little bit about the picture quality not being as good as some people would like on there TV's, i was just wondering what the picture would be like in comparison to the TV i have at the moment, which is just a typical 22'' bog standard Sharp, not an LCD or anything like that. Can i expect a great improvement in quality? Thanks.

S

ScousePig

Sorry to bump this again, but reading through the Toshiba 32WLT66 and the Panasonic TX-32LXD60 threads, i (think) i've decided it's between these two. I still need some more advice though on all questions that i have asked above, also what is the buzzing like on these TV's? I don't think i could stand really bad buzzing whilst i'm watching TV.

The 50hz part is really puzzling me also.

I should add that this TV will be used mainly for Sky Plus and my DVD player, with the possibility of the PS3 in a few months.

Get the Panasonic. A steal around £700 on the net (£749 Currys reserve and collect)

There seems to be some confusion here between the UK standard electricity supply (50 hz) and the spec of some sets which produce pictures at 50hz or, alternatively, 100hz to avoid flicker. Don't worry about this

As for buzzing, I've yet to have a buzz problem with my Panasonics (apart from me dropping off zzzzzzzzzzzz! with the quality of the programmes!)

S

ScousePig

Most people seem to be saying the Panasonic, so that looks favourite at the moment. Thanks for the replies so far.

I've noticed these products come with a LCD TV Stand, what exactly is this?

Loobster

Novice Member
I've also heard a little bit about the picture quality not being as good as some people would like on there TV's, i was just wondering what the picture would be like in comparison to the TV i have at the moment, which is just a typical 22'' bog standard Sharp, not an LCD or anything like that. Can i expect a great improvement in quality? Thanks.
No, you should not expect any improvement with SD sources, you should expect it to be worse. Have you never seen an SD source through an LCD display?

For HD sources they are good but for SD they are the poorest displays out of CRT, Plasma or LCD.

S

ScousePig

No, you should not expect any improvement with SD sources, you should expect it to be worse. Have you never seen an SD source through an LCD display?

For HD sources they are good but for SD they are the poorest displays out of CRT, Plasma or LCD.
Seriously? No, i haven't.

Are the pictures really bad then?

S

ScousePig

If this is the case, and picture aren't as good on LCD TV's as they are on normal TV's, then why is everyone buying them?

M

mjay

Good point! I'm looking at getting a new telly but don't know whether to just get a good quality but significantly cheaper CRT. When I look around comet and currys etc. the picture quality of the LCDs always looks grainy, is this probably due to the quality of the signal the TVs are being fed or is it likely to look like that on my own ariel at home?

S

ScousePig

If i buy a TV from somewhere online, can i send it back if i don't like it?

Good point! I'm looking at getting a new telly but don't know whether to just get a good quality but significantly cheaper CRT. When I look around comet and currys etc. the picture quality of the LCDs always looks grainy, is this probably due to the quality of the signal the TVs are being fed or is it likely to look like that on my own ariel at home?
A good lcd or plasma set properly set up with a good quality aerial and/or well tuned sky dish and box will produce a good sd picture

They vary, some being better than others. Panasonic and Sony being among the best

SD feeds in the retail chains you mention are invariably poor, added to which the sets are often poorly set up and the settings turned way up to max to combat shop lighting

matt1

Novice Member
If i buy a TV from somewhere online, can i send it back if i don't like it?
Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 states:

The regulations give consumers an unconditional right to cancel an order. This is to allow the consumer the opportunity to examine the goods or consider the nature of a service.

If a consumer cancels an order, written notice must be given to you by:

goods – seven working days from the day after that on which the goods are received by the consumer;
services – seven working days from the day after that on which the consumer agrees to go ahead with the contract

S

ScousePig

Thanks guys, i'll have a look around, see where i can get the best deal.

I think i'm looking at the Panasonic at the moment.

matt1

Novice Member
Yeah sorry, thought quoting it would be enough :)

I'm leaning towards the Samsung, but to be honest the only things putting me off (other than spending alot of money) are:
1. None are 1080P, which probably isn't an issue on a 32"
2. I believe they only support HDMI 1.2, when 1.3 is probably worth waiting for
Trouble is, if you start waiting for things you'll always be waiting. :suicide:

Loobster

Novice Member
If this is the case, and picture aren't as good on LCD TV's as they are on normal TV's, then why is everyone buying them?
That's a good question. And I can't offer you an answer other than perhaps people are expecting to watch DVD or HD sources far more than SD ones, so figure they will put up with poor SD performance?

blackthorn26

Standard Member
Thanks guys, i'll have a look around, see where i can get the best deal.

I think i'm looking at the Panasonic at the moment.
I tried Sony and Toshiba before settling on the Panasonic which had the best Freeview image quality of them all. There does seem to be a fair number of happy Panasonic members on here.

S

ScousePig

I tried Sony and Toshiba before settling on the Panasonic which had the best Freeview image quality of them all. There does seem to be a fair number of happy Panasonic members on here.
Yeah, thanks. I think i have decided on the Panasonic, IF i choose to buy one. Now that people are saying the picture isn't very good for Sky Plus, i'm not sure if i will bother for the moment.