Best 32'' Inch LCD TV's in £6-700 price ranges

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by ScousePig, Dec 29, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it was in stock without doubt the last one c/w 5 year warranty! But I think it is a "flyer" and apart from the "one" they sold will never be in stock at this price.

3. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I aren't too bothered about that specific price, i'm just nore bothered about which is the best TV, as they all appear to be in a similar sort of price range.

4. blackthorn26

blackthorn26
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Panasonic has excellent PQ and nice deep blacks.:thumbsup:

5. Mr Cole

Mr Cole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'd definately go for the Panasonic too. ;)

6. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying. I noticed the Panasonic and the Phillips and thought they looked good, but i haven't heard much about them on here, why's that?

I've heard plenty about the Toshiba 32wlt66 and the Samsung LE32R74BDX which is why i thought i was torn between those two, but maybe not now. I really would appreciate any more in depth comparison and help.

7. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looking at some of the specifications of these TV's, i haven't looked at them all but on the Panasonic and Samsung models under the 'Power Device' section the Frequency required says 50hz, or 50/60hz. Does this mean that the TV's are only 50hz, or does this mean something else? I was under the impression that these TV's would be 100hz.

I've also heard a little bit about the picture quality not being as good as some people would like on there TV's, i was just wondering what the picture would be like in comparison to the TV i have at the moment, which is just a typical 22'' bog standard Sharp, not an LCD or anything like that. Can i expect a great improvement in quality? Thanks.

8. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to bump this again, but reading through the Toshiba 32WLT66 and the Panasonic TX-32LXD60 threads, i (think) i've decided it's between these two. I still need some more advice though on all questions that i have asked above, also what is the buzzing like on these TV's? I don't think i could stand really bad buzzing whilst i'm watching TV.

The 50hz part is really puzzling me also.

I should add that this TV will be used mainly for Sky Plus and my DVD player, with the possibility of the PS3 in a few months.

10. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Get the Panasonic. A steal around £700 on the net (£749 Currys reserve and collect)

There seems to be some confusion here between the UK standard electricity supply (50 hz) and the spec of some sets which produce pictures at 50hz or, alternatively, 100hz to avoid flicker. Don't worry about this

As for buzzing, I've yet to have a buzz problem with my Panasonics (apart from me dropping off zzzzzzzzzzzz! with the quality of the programmes!)

11. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most people seem to be saying the Panasonic, so that looks favourite at the moment. Thanks for the replies so far.

I've noticed these products come with a LCD TV Stand, what exactly is this?

12. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    No, you should not expect any improvement with SD sources, you should expect it to be worse. Have you never seen an SD source through an LCD display?

For HD sources they are good but for SD they are the poorest displays out of CRT, Plasma or LCD.

13. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seriously? No, i haven't.

Are the pictures really bad then?

14. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If this is the case, and picture aren't as good on LCD TV's as they are on normal TV's, then why is everyone buying them?

15. mjay

mjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point! I'm looking at getting a new telly but don't know whether to just get a good quality but significantly cheaper CRT. When I look around comet and currys etc. the picture quality of the LCDs always looks grainy, is this probably due to the quality of the signal the TVs are being fed or is it likely to look like that on my own ariel at home?

16. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i buy a TV from somewhere online, can i send it back if i don't like it?

17. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    A good lcd or plasma set properly set up with a good quality aerial and/or well tuned sky dish and box will produce a good sd picture

They vary, some being better than others. Panasonic and Sony being among the best

SD feeds in the retail chains you mention are invariably poor, added to which the sets are often poorly set up and the settings turned way up to max to combat shop lighting

18. matt1

matt1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 states:

19. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I beg your pardon?!

20. Manty

Manty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put simply, you have 7 days after you have received your goods to notify the supplier in writing, that you are not happy with your purchase, etc...

21. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, i'll have a look around, see where i can get the best deal.

I think i'm looking at the Panasonic at the moment.

22. matt1

matt1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah sorry, thought quoting it would be enough :)

I'm leaning towards the Samsung, but to be honest the only things putting me off (other than spending alot of money) are:
    1. None are 1080P, which probably isn't an issue on a 32"
    2. I believe they only support HDMI 1.2, when 1.3 is probably worth waiting for
    Trouble is, if you start waiting for things you'll always be waiting. :suicide:

23. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    That's a good question. And I can't offer you an answer other than perhaps people are expecting to watch DVD or HD sources far more than SD ones, so figure they will put up with poor SD performance?

24. blackthorn26

blackthorn26
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I tried Sony and Toshiba before settling on the Panasonic which had the best Freeview image quality of them all. There does seem to be a fair number of happy Panasonic members on here.

25. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, thanks. I think i have decided on the Panasonic, IF i choose to buy one. Now that people are saying the picture isn't very good for Sky Plus, i'm not sure if i will bother for the moment.

26. CFCCFC

CFCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Scousepig, I think if you can wait, you should wait for a year and the picture quality will likely have improved yet again. When you go up to 37 inch or greater, you're prepared to accept the tradeoff against a CRT. If you're only going up from 22 inch CRT to 32 inch LCD, you might not be so happy. If your tv is on the fritz though you have no choice.

To see how the pictures can look though, go into a JL branch as they have SD feed available and play with the settings. Make sure you see the kind of programs that you watch most of.

I moved from a 21inch CRT which was on the way out to a 37inch Toshiba WLT68 and I'm a happy bunny for picture quality and an even happier bunny cos of the screen size :clap:

27. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advive.

The main problem about a 37'' LCD is that i think it would be too big to fit in the corner of my room!

28. ScousePig

ScousePig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so it seems unlikely i will buy an LCD TV if the SKy picture won't be as good.

Out of the TV's i've listed, does anybody know which one gives the best picture for Sky+?