Best 32 inch LCD for gaming on PS3 & watching Sky SD?

Ray01

Standard Member
So my CRT finally crapped out yesterday and i'm looking to buy a new 32" LCD TV.

Anyway, the following televisions caught my eye (budget £300-£500) -

Hitachi UT32MH70
Samsung LE32B450
Sony KDL32S5500 (any idea when the 32V4500's successor is due?)
Panasonic TXL32X10 (is it really worth upgrading to the TXL32X15?)

I'll be using it to watch Sky SD, so I don't care about the tuner, as well as connecting it up to my PS3. Most games will run at 720p and I only watch the occasional Blu-ray (should ideally be able to handle 24p 1080p input w/ 1:1 pixel mapping). I hear SD scales better onto HD Ready screens than Full HD so that'll be enough for me.

All i'm really looking for is excellent picture quality with good color tone reproduction and decent black level response. A decent refresh rate and being able to play SD footage with minimal artifacts would also help. The built in speakers and connectivity options don't really matter to me, mainly because I don't have much to connect it to anyway.

If you guys can help me decide which one I should go for or if you can offer an alternative it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:

l34052

If ur not fazed by brand snobbery u can buy a 42" full HD Bush tv from argos at the moment for £469.99.

I brought one yesterday and for the money im properly amazed by the quality of it, im still playing around with the settings for picture but overall i really couldnt be happier with it.

Build quality is solid and the styling is very contemporary and with a HD source like ps3/xbox/sky etc the picture quality is amazing, the colours pop from the screen and ive not really noticed any blur as yet although it is my first hdtv so i dont have a massive frame of reference.

Its no kuro but for the money it costs i wouldnt expect it to be, all that said though i do think people will be surprised by it especially with full hd.

alsina

If ur not fazed by brand snobbery u can buy a 42" full HD Bush tv from argos at the moment for £469.99.

I brought one yesterday and for the money im properly amazed by the quality of it, im still playing around with the settings for picture but overall i really couldnt be happier with it.

Build quality is solid and the styling is very contemporary and with a HD source like ps3/xbox/sky etc the picture quality is amazing, the colours pop from the screen and ive not really noticed any blur as yet although it is my first hdtv so i dont have a massive frame of reference.

Its no kuro but for the money it costs i wouldnt expect it to be, all that said though i do think people will be surprised by it especially with full hd.

There are other important differences between makes of television than the name on the front. I think most people would accept that. I'm sure your tv is pretty good for your needs, but more expensive tv's will on the whole be better in terms of capability and reliability. I had to respond simply because of your term 'brand snobbery' which suggests that you believe that we pay a premium simply for the name. In the tv world, this just isn't the case with the mainstream manufacturers.

l34052

There are other important differences between makes of television than the name on the front. I think most people would accept that. I'm sure your tv is pretty good for your needs, but more expensive tv's will on the whole be better in terms of capability and reliability. I had to respond simply because of your term 'brand snobbery' which suggests that you believe that we pay a premium simply for the name. In the tv world, this just isn't the case with the mainstream manufacturers.

Dont get me wrong i completely understand and agree with what u say however there are people that will flat out refuse to even look at a tv (or anything else for that matter) purely because of the name on the front of it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom