Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best 32" HD LCD for Xbox 360?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Ozzpot, Jul 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be a pain, (I have been asking too many questions round here), but I am currently TV-less after my 32" CRT popped on Monday. I am in a bad mood and impatient, for which I apologise in advance. I do not know much about flatscreen TVs, but I know that having compared LCD and plasma, I'd rather have LCD.

Now, I watch TV quite a lot but haven't recorded a broadcast since about 1998, so top-notch picture quality doesn't matter too much to me in this department, although I would very much prefer my new set to have abuilt in DVB tuner.

I watch a lot of DVDs, so would like to see a nice crisp picture from my new TV for this at least.

However, I can see come christmas my most demanding use of this TV will be Xbox 360 play. I would like to have the best possible picture from my Xbox 360, so 1080i output or whatever that means. I play a lot of fast games like Dead or Alive so I would need a fast "latency" of ideally <12ms right? I also assume I would need HDMI and component inputs ideally.

To sum up:

• 32" Widescreen
    • 1366 x 768 or whatever
    • Capable of 720i and 1080i output (at 50hz & 60hz - what does this mean? I will have a PAL Xbox 360.)
    •*<12ms response
    • HDMI and component inputs
    • Integrated DVB Tuner?

The one I am looking at is the Samsung LE32R51, but people are compaining of "tearing". From what I understand of tearing (which is limited), wouldn't this models fast latency (12ms) reduce this?

The other model I am considering is the Philips 32PF9986. This is much more expensive, but haas the fast latency and all that. I can't find confirmation of the HD inputs though! Surely it has HDMI and component right? It costs £1700 at best!

Out of (or other than) these, what would you recommend? Thank you so much for any suggestions. I have a budget of <£1500 if I'm honest. I would like to have something in the next 2 weeks. Thanks again

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    50hz = Europe, Australasia
    60hz = North America, Japan

That said, the European version of the Xbox 360 will probably output at 60hz. As far as I know, there is NO display that will show 720p/50hz and not 720p/60 (rather, it's the other way around).
    One more thing - 720p not 720i :)

You're thinking of ghosting. The tearing is a problem with the internal picture processing, not the LCD panel itself, and the tearing only appears on the bottom of the screen.

I recommend them in just about every thread, but the new Sony LCDs - either the affordable S-series, or the more expensive WEGA enabled V-series, should be right up your street. They are due out soon.

3. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Lyris, as he himself will admit, is a Sony supporter. There's no doubt that the S and V will be decent sets. But is unlikely that they'll be better than the two current class leaders: the Panasonic TX32LXD500 and the JVC LT-32DS6. Both score fabulous reviews. Both available now. The JVC is a little cheaper and enjoys the advantage of a manual backlight setting.

It would be great if the Samsungs were good. After all they're very cheap and look good on paper. But the various problems are hard to ignore.

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Well, over the last few years I've become a fairly big Sony fan, but by no means a loyalist. I'm willing to be proven wrong on anything like that - I've seen some pretty mediocre stuff from them and have never warmed to Playstation gaming. It's just that I've been incredibly impressed by their LCD sets. Home Cinema Choice magazine's review of their LCD TV that I own confirmed my own thoughts.

I'd love to see that JVC set though - I was considering the Panasonic, but again couldn't find a Backlight adjustment so let it go.

5. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    What about a Toshiba 32WL56??

seems to fit what you want and I've seen them at about £900. Although you'll need to get component through the VGA.

6. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

I too have been a Sony fanboy for most of my life. At one point just about every electrical device I owned was Sony. However, recently I have either had a run of bad luck or Sony's standards are dropping. The 32" WEGA CRT that cost me £1800 barely 5 years ago has died on me. The DVD I bought at the same time has had a faulty display for the last 18 months. A couple of mates have had trouble too. I still like Sony, but I think they are overpriced for the level of quality you get these days.

I have looked into both the Panasonic and Toshiba models over the last few days. I had issues with both of them, but through all the confusion I have forgotten what they were. The JVC seems to do everything I want though. Top end of my budget but hey ho. I just need to find out the latency and I may order very soon. If it's any more than 16ms there's a very good chance Kasumi's little white knickers will be too blurred to see when she's in mid spinning heel kick. :( ;)

Thanks again guys. Any more suggestions are still very welcome. :smashin:

7. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I think you're reading a bit too much into the grey-grey time. It's not like 16ms would be unacceptable, but 14ms fine. The latest generation of screen all seem to have the blurring issue sorted. My hitachi 32ld7200 has none whatsoever with my xbox, and other owners of the other brands' latest and greatest report the same.

Just to plug my choice of screen, the Hitachi is a great performer, gives a cracking pic, is compatible with 720p 50 and 60, 1080i, has HDMI, DVI (HCDP), VGA, component, s-video, composite and 3 scarts (2 RGB). I think I'm right in saying you can't really do better than that for connectivity or compatibility. No issues to speak of (apart from the LCD-wide problem of occasional buzzing). Has an adjustable backlight too. And a motorised stand!

All reviews for it have been excellent (but then all the latest screens seem to be getting 5 stars, 95%+ etc).

Can't go wrong as far as I'm concerned. It's ace!

8. jriihi

jriihi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have old panasonic 28" CRT that works still after 8 years. Panasonic also make very good plasma displays. I just dont like panasonic plasma ed res or their cheaper new 50 series lcd screen lacking digital inputs.

Anyways dont really know how their lcd displays fair against competition. Seems they are good but lack backlight adjustment..

9. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the recommendation. I seriously looked into this one. It was my number one contender for a while. The last Hitachi TV we had in the house lasted 21 years. I have only a couple of minor concerns:

• The buzzing, although many say is an LCD wide issue, seems to be a particualr problem on this set.
    •*The contrast is quite low (although you say it has adjustable backlight so I guess that rules that out to some extent)
    • I intend to wall mount it, so the motorized stand is an unnecessary expense for me.

I'll consider it though.

10. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The JVC has a quoted response time/latency of 7ms. The best in it's class. It also has deeper, truer blacks than the Hitachi (I've seen them both in action) even though they're both quoted as 800:1 contrast ratio. Almost every current LCD has 800:1 but that's just numbers. The real world performance of different sets is down to quality of engineering. The Hitachi clearly a fine TV. But the JVC has it beat IMO.

11. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I won't go all Hitachi fan-boy on you, but I think the reason you've heard so much about the buzz on this set is because so many people have bought it. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. It's not a problem for me. I only hear it when I rest my head on the top... Which is not something I do very often. I've seen people mention buzzing with the philips 9986, tosh 32/37wl56 and many others.

As for the contrast figures, don't believe a word the manufacturers say! They create their figures using their own tests, under conditions that would never occur in your living room. All they're interested in is getting a higher number than their competitors. There's nothing wrong with the Hitachi's contrast at all.

As for the motorised stand, I don't think it would have added much to the price of the unit. Even with it, it's still one of the most competitively-priced 32"ers.

Going back to impartial mode,of the current choice I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the latest from Panasonic, JVC or Hitachi.

12. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Isn't it impossible for the human eye to notice any difference under 14ms or so? Or did I imagine reading that after one too many shandys?

13. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You know what Matt? F*** knows. lol. This whole response time thing is a load of ad man bullsh*t. Basically, if the set doesn't display any motion blur then it's fine. an engineer at JVC told me that any panel with a response of 16ms or under should be fine. Whether it is or not is purely down to the internal engineering quality of the unit not the panel. So surprise surprise the expensive TV's are better. The new JVC has 7ms, the new Panny 500 has 14ms. Neither show any signs of motion blur. Go figure. Pint of shandy please barman!

14. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I have been impressed with the previous gen JVCs, but then I wouldn't necessarily rule out Sharp either. New Titianium model (GD7) due in the next 2-4 weeks, so you could get a bit of a bargain on the outgoing GD1 model or find the GD7 is priced just right for your budget.
    Equally, Loewe use Sharp panels (and are owned by Sharp to the tune of 30%), and you get the poor man's Bang & Olufsen for your money.

15. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Does anyone know what the responmse time for the hitatchi is?

I dont buy the statement that the Human eye cannot notice anything under 14ms...I have seen PC LCD screens with 6ms response and still seen slight blurring and even on my high-end Iiyama CRT monitor! but under normal TV viewing i think it should be ok just dont watch a white object move around a black screen!

16. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't find any figures for this, but I refer you to Matt_p's post:

"I think you're reading a bit too much into the grey-grey time. It's not like 16ms would be unacceptable, but 14ms fine. The latest generation of screen all seem to have the blurring issue sorted. My hitachi 32ld7200 has none whatsoever with my xbox, and other owners of the other brands' latest and greatest report the same."

These response times do seem to be a little misleading. The general consensus is that the current generation of LCDs with 16ms or less are absolutely fine, using other methods to irradicate blurring. The JVC that I think I am going to go for (mentioned a few posts ago) has an official response time of 10ms (I think), so that does reassure me a little. I must admit it is one of the factors I worry about the most, as I intend to play a lot of very fast moving xbox 360 games.

17. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    The JVC 32SD6 is supposedly 7ms, but some are under the impression it's 14ms with some sort of trickery to bring that down to 7ms.
    IMO, you CANNOT change the response of the pixel with hardware or software - the speed of the pixel is defined by the material of the panel and its design. So, it's either 7ms like the 37", as is the 26", or only the 37" is 7ms, the other two being 14ms, like last year's panels.
    That said, pixel speed is not the be-all, end-all of displayed smearing/trails - the electronics that drive the panel are in part just as responsible.
    So, a well designed 14ms TV could easily outperform a 7,8,10ms TV with poorly designed internals.

18. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    any comments on the LG sets? Dixons had the 37" showing HD for £1999, and it looked great. HD ready and all (plus the price will be better online)

19. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, after much deliberation, I have decided on the JVC LT32DS6.

It offers everything I want:

• 32", 1366 x 768 Screen
    • Integrated Freeview
    • HDMI and component inputs
    • 1000:1 contrast ratio
    •*7ms (14ms with trickery we think) response time.

It is a little inside my budget at £1356.

I seriously considered the Hitachi 32LD7200, but it does not seem to have integrated freeview as far as I can tell. I also had minor concerns with the black levels and possible "buzz".

Thanks for everyone's help with this. :smashin: