• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best 32" for Freeview and PS3? A few questions...

Beagle.808

Standard Member
I'm in the market for a new 32" LCD and have narrowed it down to 2 models:
the Sony 32D3000, and the Philips 32PFL9632D.

Both seem to be getting rave reviews so are they much the same? I'll mainly be using it for Freeview (so it needs good SD performance) and the PS3.
I've read some scare stories about Philips reliability and I've yet to read anything about it's performance with a Playstation. But it looks sooo nice, lol...

Also I went out today to have a browse around House of Fraser and John Lewis but it's very hard to see the TVs in action. Pretty much all the sets looked pretty poor (as TVs generally do in showrooms), and you certainly can't hear them. So is there anywhere to get a proper demo of both?

Also, JL seems really expensive, but they include a 5 year warranty - now I've always regarded extended warranties as a waste of cash, but this is my first LCD purchase so do you think it's something worth considering?

Phube

Standard Member
IMO and I'm no expert... the best 32" SD picture is the Panasonic 700, by far!

Can't comment on the PS3 bit though!

Beagle.808

Standard Member
I've been put off that by the fact you can't turn 100Hz off. And I've read on several occasions that the 100Hz can spoil some console games.

I'm not too keen on the look of the set either to be honest.

Thanks anyway!

SOUNDSTYLE

Established Member
If you're not interested in the Panasonic TX-32LXD700 then I don't think you can go far wrong buying the Sony 32D3000 tbh.

I'm actually put off by the Philips because of the Ambilight feature although you can probably turn it off. Just seems a gimmick imo.

However if you can wait a bit, I wouldn't buy one yet as Sony (along with all the big players) have recently announced their new 2008 product range at CES.

In Sony's case they will release a total of 17 brand new Sony Bravia LCD HDTVs to the market.

Another set to consider would be the Samsung LE32R87BD if you want to save a few £'s.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom