1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 32' dolby widescreen tv?......

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by freeky, May 4, 2002.

1. freeky

freeky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any ideas?

i was going to buy philips 32pw617 pixel plus....

cheers

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you are not offended by the Panasonic tube, have a look at the 9617. You'll be kicking yourself if Philips start using their HD tubes though after you already got the Philisonic. That's the catch. But while it might not be as good as it should be, the question is how good the competition is. I must say I have not been impressed at all by a TV in the last 10 years.

I don't know if they fixed the humming problem there was in the 9616 though. The 9616 often sounds like... you know, in Back to the Future where Marty turns up all the knobs to fire up the 10' speaker? Sometimes the set is silent as a mouse but at other times it spits out a 50, 59.94, 100, or 119.88Hz baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa that is quite annoying. Especially in the wireless surrounds, they sound like a mad scientist's lab in a 50's sci-fi B-movie.

I don't use them but hooked the surround output to my old Dolby Pro Logic amp - and thereby get Surround EX 'for free' :D

I don't think there are any decent TV's out there at the moment, whether talking picture or sound. Too much money is spent on trickery and too little on quality. It's a strange world. I guess there are brands for the rich like B&O, Loewe and pro stuff like Barco and Hantarex that work. But we all know what color that Visa card has...