• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Best 3 / 4 tuner, freeview and catch up, TV recorder?

VisionMan

Distinguished Member
If I may ask - If you find a box with 3 or 4 tuners, when are you going to find the time to watch them all? :(

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I was considering the Humax FVP 5000T but it has some terrible reviews.
Any recommendations appreciated?

Afaik the Humax FVP boxes are the only ones that can record up to 4 at once.

A new multituner Freesat PVR is due out this year from Arris. The original info appears to suggest that it will have similar multi-recording capability as a Sky-Q box.

VisionMan

Distinguished Member
And being new will probably cost a fortune. Not that FVPs are that cheap either.

cc120, have you considered getting 2 boxes? Or Cord Cutters suggestion above of using Plus+1 channels? Mind you, that would depend on the channels you want to record.

cc120

Novice Member
Afaik the Humax FVP boxes are the only ones that can record up to 4 at once.

A new multituner Freesat PVR is due out this year from Arris. The original info appears to suggest that it will have similar multi-recording capability as a Sky-Q box.
Doesn't freesat require a satellite dish?

cc120

Novice Member
And being new will probably cost a fortune. Not that FVPs are that cheap either.

cc120, have you considered getting 2 boxes? Or Cord Cutters suggestion above of using Plus+1 channels? Mind you, that would depend on the channels you want to record.

Hi VisionMan. When you say 2 boxes do you mean 2 recorders? Replied to Cord Cutter re: Plus+1.

cc120

Novice Member
I am now considering Panasonic DMR-HWT150EB versus Humax HDR-FOX T2? Each has 2 tuners. The only 3 / 4 tuners available it seems are the Humax 4000 and 5000. Both have many bad reviews.
Humax HDR-FOX T2 has more catch up options than the Panasonic DMR-HWT150EB. Are there any more pros / cons for either?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
How do you use more than one recorder on one TV?

You just connect them to seperate HDMI ports on a TV. You use the TV remote to select the hdmi port that the box you want to use is connected two.

It's a lot easier with a AV receiver as you connect all your kit to the AVR HDMI in sockets and the AVR to the TV with a single HDMI cable.

Humax boxes have multiple IR modes for theie pvrs so you can have more than one in one room and use multiple remotes without them clashing.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I am now considering Panasonic DMR-HWT150EB versus Humax HDR-FOX T2? Each has 2 tuners. The only 3 / 4 tuners available it seems are the Humax 4000 and 5000. Both have many bad reviews.
Humax HDR-FOX T2 has more catch up options than the Panasonic DMR-HWT150EB. Are there any more pros / cons for either?

Basically a HDR-FOX-T2 only has iplayer.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thank you grahamlthompson, so would you recommend the Panasonic based on that?

No experience of using that box. Sorry.

cc120

Novice Member
You just connect them to seperate HDMI ports on a TV. You use the TV remote to select the hdmi port that the box you want to use is connected two.

It's a lot easier with a AV receiver as you connect all your kit to the AVR HDMI in sockets and the AVR to the TV with a single HDMI cable.

Humax boxes have multiple IR modes for theie pvrs so you can have more than one in one room and use multiple remotes without them clashing.
I think my new TV only has 1 x HDMI socket so would have to go the AV receiver route.

Buying more than one Humax recorder would be expensive?

Ensor

I think my new TV only has 1 x HDMI socket so would have to go the AV receiver route.
Unless you need all the features of an A/V receiver, you could just get an HDMI switch box.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thank you grahamlthompson. So with this unit I would plug in my TV, and two separate recorders, eg: 2 x Panasonic DMR-HWT150EB or 1 Panasonic and 1 Humax HDR-FOX T2. So that either would access the TV and record, thus offering 4 recording channels?

Correct. You would of course need to connect both to your aerial. A simple aerial splitter is likely all you need.

cc120

Novice Member
Correct. You would of course need to connect both to your aerial. A simple aerial splitter is likely all you need.

Thank you again grahamlthompson. Would a booster be required if I split the aerial?

The Toshiba 49L3863DB (specs Toshiba Tv 49L3863DB - 49" Toshiba Full HD WLAN TV) was unsuccessful connecting via wifi, I guess I will I need to cable it to my router which is down the hall ?
If I have catch up tv via Toshiba, will I not need it on the recorder?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thank you again grahamlthompson. Would a booster be required if I split the aerial?

The Toshiba 49L3863DB (specs Toshiba Tv 49L3863DB - 49" Toshiba Full HD WLAN TV) was unsuccessful connecting via wifi, I guess I will I need to cable it to my router which is down the hall ?
If I have catch up tv via Toshiba, will I not need it on the recorder?

You would only need a booster if your existing signal is weak. When the analogue TV system closed down the power output of digital TV transmitters was increased much more than the signal loss (approx 4dB) created by a one in two out splitter. Ideally use a metal one with f connectors.

eg

Wideband TV & Satellite Splitter 2 Way

cc120

Novice Member
You would only need a booster if your existing signal is weak. When the analogue TV system closed down the power output of digital TV transmitters was increased much more than the signal loss (approx 4dB) created by a one in two out splitter. Ideally use a metal one with f connectors.
eg
Wideband TV & Satellite Splitter 2 Way
Thank you for your patience grahamlthompson.

As the wifi connection on the Toshiba 49L3863DB didn't work, I will try connecting via cable to router to enable me to access 'TV catch up' facility.

If the attached recorder has a TV catch up facility, would I also need to cable it up to the router separately?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom