Best 2TB HDD for Synology DS212j ?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by steve99uk, Dec 28, 2011.

1. steve99uk

steve99uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Can anyone advise on what are the best 2TB disks for using with a Synology DS212j ? I want to set it up as RAID 1 with 2 x 2TB HDD.

I have been looking at doing this for a few months and seen the price of 2TB disks rise horrendously but a few are coming back to around £100 now.

I want to stream films and music from the NAS and have been told that some of the Green/ECO HDD may cause lag.

TIA

Steve

2. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    You wont have lag with the slower energy efficient 5400 rpm drives in that NAS unless you are streaming many files at the same time.

Samsung 2tb are good:

Samsung HD204UI 2TB Spinpoint F4 Hard Drive SATA II 3Gb/s - Scan.co.uk

Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB 32MB 5400RPM 3.5 Inch SATA-II Internal Hard Drive - 3 Year Warranty - OEM: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4 2TB Hard Drive SATA.. | Ebuyer.com

The prices still look high though.

Might be best to buy one drive now and another in a few weeks so they should be from a different batch and the price might have gone down.
    ( Its easy to add another disc in synology NAS to go from one drive to two)

Maybe wait until early January when things go quiet as prices are sure to drop slightly as demand drops.

Just look for the cheapest 2TB with long warranty that is on the compatibility list for your NAS.