Best 2tb hard drive?

manbearpig

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am quickly running out of storage on my 750gb and 1tb drives, so I am looking to buy a 2tb at Christmas and another later on.

I want something that I can put in raid 1 and it needs to be quite quick as I want to stream 1080p videos while possibly streaming music to a different computer, also something that isn't too loud, But it will be primarily used to hold media.

I have been looking at:

Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA-II 64MB Cache

Samsung SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen 2TB SATA-II 32MB Cache

Any other suggestions would be great
smile.gif

Thanks.

if its gonna be in a NAS or just used for streaming it doesn't need to be fast, in fact fast might be bad as it can be noisy. I'd buy the largest 2tb drive you can find (LOL). Any of the green or AV drives should be fine, just make sure its not advanced format ...

Either should be fine but if it was me personally, I would prob go for the Samsung F4 as it only uses 3 platters so should be quieter and cooler than the WD one.

cheaper f4 at Aria

Register on the forum, contribute 50 posts per month and qualify for free delivery on everything except superspecial deals.

Thats the drive id choose

Overclockers are expensive. You can get free postage with Scan on here and Scan have the Samsung on their Today Only page quite a lot :)

Overclockers are expensive. You can get free postage with Scan on here and Scan have the Samsung on their Today Only page quite a lot :)

The ones Scan sell are grey import, and you have to go back to Scan if they fault within the 3 years.

Samsung UK won't touch them.

Have returned items to Scan before and they're normally easy to deal with.

WD20EARS drives are £75 delivered from Dabs! Have bought a few dozen and they're very reliable...not massively fast but great for HTPC use!

Last edited:
Kind of confusing request

Quick
Access data over a LAN
And not loud

Then you picked out a eco green drive

Make your mind up what you want.

The F4 ecogreen 5400rpm has been shown to perform faster and quieter for less power than most 7200rpm drives, so its not a big ask really

how many platters does the Western Digital Caviar Green uses? They have both normal and advanced format; WD**EARS and WD**EADS respectively. The 1.5Tb drives seem to be cheaper atm.

The ones Scan sell are grey import, and you have to go back to Scan if they fault within the 3 years.

Samsung UK won't touch them.

Scan has currently these Hard drives;
Both say 36m Direct Waranty.
2TB Samsung HD203WI Spinpoint F3EG, EcoGreen, SATA 3Gb/s, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ, OEM

2TB Samsung HD204UI/Z4, SpinPoint EcoGreen F4EG SATA 3Gb/s, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ

Btw, can anyone also advice as to what the difference between the two is? one is OEM version which suggests no cables if i am correct, but what about F3EG / F4EG ?

2TB Samsung HD203WI F3EG, SATA 3Gb/s now £64.61 delivered at Scan Today only for forum members

yeah found samsung drives to vary in quality, got a couple seek noise is good but quite a bit of vibration from them.

Just about to put 4 x 2TB Samsung HD203WI F3EG into a NAS after using these drives before. I would rather stick a gun in my mouth than use Maxtor ever again, horrible drives, be warning and would think about cocking it if they were Seagates. Ive had nothing but problems with both of these before.

I recommend WD Green over samsungs. Samsungs have an annoying amount of vibration to them.

I recommend WD Green over samsungs. Samsungs have an annoying amount of vibration to them.
Before reading your message, I thought I was the only person who kept getting buzzing Samsungs and had to exchange about half of them. But all half dozen F4 HD204UI drives I've checked have been smooth as silk. OTOH scans with MHDD usually show 1-3 sectors needing between 150-500ms to read, with the exact sectors changing on each pass, while none of my WDs, including a pair of 2TB Greens, had any sectors that needed even 150ms.

Scan has currently these Hard drives;
Both say 36m Direct Waranty.
2TB Samsung HD203WI Spinpoint F3EG, EcoGreen, SATA 3Gb/s, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ, OEM

2TB Samsung HD204UI/Z4, SpinPoint EcoGreen F4EG SATA 3Gb/s, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ

Yeah, they do have 36 months warranty, but you have to deal with Scan, and not Samsung.

I think scan has the lowest prices for F4EG and F3EG 2Tb if you are buying these drives, which is my after, I will try to F3EG as the F4EG is still new to be tested.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom