1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 2hr PQ Between Panny DMRE95 & Sony HX900

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by yhtomit, Nov 30, 2004.

1. yhtomit

yhtomit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Has anyone had experience of the Panasonic DMRE95 (or similar) & the
    Sony HX900. I have just bought the panasonic and am not thoroughly
    happy with PQ quality on recorded material in Xp and Sp modes. I want the
    best quality for recording up to and including 2 hr's worth of material. I want to record tennis matches, and so far the panasonic is showing quite a bit
    of pixelation. Would the Sony HX900 be better within the 1hr - 2 hr modes?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    As UK TV broadcasts are well below the bitrate used by XP and SP broadcasts I would suggest the problem does not lie with the E95. Indeed when recording at XP mode you should be unable to tell the difference between the original broadcast and the recording. Accordingly the first things to check are:

- You are recording from a Digibox, e.g. Freeview, Sky, NTL. Don't even think of recording from the internal tuner.

- Ensure your Digibox is set to RGB Output and that you have connected the Scart cables to the appropriate output (TV Scart) on the Digibox. Likewise check the input/output of the recorder are also set to RGB.

- You are using good quality scart cables between your Digibox and DVD recorder - and that doesn't mean "Gold" cables from your local Comet! You should look to spend around £50 for the cable between the two: QED AV range offer a good price/performance ratio IMHO.

3. yhtomit

yhtomit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply.

Yes, I've got RGB enabled out of Sky+ and good quality QED P2110 scarts.
    Average telly looks good, but some fast movement on the tennis looks a bit
    blocky. Also, do you know if the comb filter helps things?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    That's probably the original broadcast then - fast movement would suffer artifacts long before your DVD recorder did - even at SP mode the E95 is recording at over 1MBit/S more than the original transmission. Whilst the E95 is still recording an analogue source if it is a clean, RGB one the encoding is not intensive.

If you have checked what I suggested above your next course of action should be to check you don't have faulty scarts or a faulty machine...

5. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Rasczak what DVD recorder do you use, im tryin to decide which one to buy :confused: you seem to know more about these things :smashin: it seems that there are good and bad points on all of these machines :thumbsdow is there one that actualy comes out on top :) or is that askin to much :rolleyes:

6. yhtomit

yhtomit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help. I'll do some serious A/B tests and see how it goes.

Also, is it better to record to HD in SP if final DVD-R will be in SP mode, rather than record to HD in Xp and then down to Sp for DVD-R copy?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Loads: I tend to get most of the major DVD recorders on loan to 'test' for a few weeks/months. I currently own a Panasonic E95, Sony GX700 and very soon a Sony GXD500.