Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best 28" Widescreen?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by tigerdragon, Dec 7, 2003.

1. tigerdragon

tigerdragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to get my first widescreen TV and am hoping you'll be able to help me out with my dilemma - trying to find the best 28" TV that I can get for preferably no more than around £400.

Reading through the posts in these forums it seems that the Sony KV28FX68 is a very popular choice, with no apparent problems, etc ...but this is a bit out of my price range at £520.

What TV & HiFi gave the Panasonic TX28PS1 a 5-Star rating, but I have read that several people have had issues with geometry and convergence, and feel that this product does not deserve such a high rating.

If anyone could give me some useful feedback regarding the Panasonic TX28PS1 - as to whether there are problems with it or not, and also suggest any other TVs I should possibly consider as alternatives I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. thespian

thespian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - went through a similar process a couple of weeks ago - bought a JVC 28R25 on an old HCC review - it was pretty good (subwoofer was a little too enthusiastic but what the hell) but the screen tilt was pretty bad. Had a replacement but the geometry was really screwed up so I got a refund and purchased a Panasonic PS5 which is the same as the PS1 but with Dolby Digital onboard.

Well, the verdict is that it is a superb set - the picture is much better than the JVC which was pretty dark and murky via RGB (there are plenty of threads about this) and the sound is great. I'd recommend it if you didn't have a separate home cinema system.

I can't think of any negatives - coming to the Panasonic after the JVC I was pretty critical and knew what problems to look for. Also, being a graphic designer, I can't stand things being even a single pixel out. Happy to report that if there are any faults I've not seen them!

What I'd say is take all the criticisms in the forums and magazines with a pinch of salt - go to a decent retailer and try the set out for yourself.

3. tigerdragon

tigerdragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your quick reply, Thespian.

I was very tempted by the TX28PS1 until I read a few negative posts about it here, but now my confidence in this particular set has been restored.

Many Thanks.

4. ShaunIOW

ShaunIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought this one - http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0-LHOc3HAt...6&bp=64nss&bi=0

Samsung WS28M64NS *PURE FLAT* For £329 delivered

It's only 50Mhz but it's got a true flat screen, and is a nice TV, well worth the asking price (and probably more). I've been using it for over a week now and can't fault it.

Good picture and sound and no geomentry problems (which surprised me as my oid Philips 24" W/S set was never right). A mate bought the same one and he is equally happy with his.