1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 26" LCD picture

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Bushwacked, Mar 31, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Bushwacked

Bushwacked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,

I've been trawling the internet for days trying to establish a shortlist for buying an LCD and my path has brought me to this forum.

I am wanting to buy a 26inch LCD screen for my living room to replace an ageing rather large and dominating Sony TV. I'm not that bothered about the connections as long as I can connect my DVD and Digibox. The shortlist I have so far is:

Sharp LC26GA4E/3E
    JVC LT26D50
    Sony KLV26HG2
    Loewe XA26

I went and demo'd a Sharp and was disappointed with the picture, it seemed fine when viewing "Shark's Tale" but on a non-cartoon DVD the picture seemed rather poor (Smearing and pixelation). I have a Sony LCD monitor and the picture is crisp so I think that it must be possible to replicate this in a LCD TV. (Could this have been the way it was set up?)

Can any of you recommend a LCD TV that has an amazing picture quality? Money is an object but I would rather pay to enjoy a good picture than save some money and wish I'd kept the CRT.

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    No LCD will match a CRT, but the Sharp is good if set up properly ( it has a myriad of possible settings ). DVD should be brilliant and the digibox should be fine. Each input can be tweaked seperately.

3. nate247

nate247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    The Sony 26HG2 is fantastic, the Wega engine is really on top form here (Sonys Digital picture processor), I would say it is my favourate 26" without doubt.

There are only a couple of problems though. One is that it is only a 15:9 widescreen, thus a little shorter than some screens (only marginal though), secondly, although its Component inputs are HDCP compatible, it doesn't have a DVI or HDMI input so may / probably wont be compatible with SKY's HD signals available at the end of the year........... unless they see the light and use component inputs too :)

But if HD and the 15:9 ratio arn't of concern, this in my opinion is the 26" to get...... I have one in my bedroom and even now the Picture Quality at times still stuns me.......

4. aadler

aadler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat,looking for a 26" LCD too.I thought I had settled for the Sharp, ad actually orderedone, but returned it as it was so ugly, leg handle and all... But that's subjective, I guess. At the moment I seem to be settling for the Xelos, but got a little worried as it was considered to have bad contrast and mushy dark areas in a recent test in a Finnish magazine. In that test the new Panasonic TX-26LX50 won along with the Samsung. So now I'm thinking about the Panny too... Ah, decisions!

Does anyone have personal experience on the Xelos?

5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Component is analogue and HDCP is a digital protocol available on some DVI and all HDMI. You will NOT be able to view HD from SKY or HD-DVD on this Sony.
    If that is important stick with the Sharp or another DVI-HDVP or HDMI set.

6. Bushwacked

Bushwacked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, does anyone have experience of the Xelos?

7. tomleeeee

tomleeeee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture on the new Panasonic TX26LXD50 is absolutely stunning, one of the best pictures i've seen yet on an LCD. Even watching analogue TV on it looks superb. Go and have a look, it's definately worth a look. Only thing, it looks a bit bottom heavy with the large silver speak at the bottom.

8. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am looking to get the sharp LC26AG3E....a little difficult to find right now but have found some in Tottenham Court Rd for around £1,100. The picture looks great and there is the ability to do an element of future proffing since it has DVI (HDCP compatible).

9. square_eyes

square_eyes
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Most LCD TVs with a DVI input will match or get close to the quality of your Sony LCD PC monitor. The differences you are seeing are caused by the quality of the signal, ie you aren't comparing like with like. Your Sony looks good because it is displaying digital data from a digital source without any conversions. If you were to attach your PC via DVI (the digital connection) to any LCD TV, you would see how close the quality is to your Sony display. Likewise, to get a comparable DVD image, connect the DVD via DVI. But if you are comparing TV pictures (horribly over-processed before they arrive - until we get HDTV) with a digital computer display, it will always be no contest.

10. square_eyes

square_eyes
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  11. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I have this too. Glad I've found another fan of it :)

I do feel ripped off sometimes though seeing as the US model has DVI-I with HDCP... everything else I love about it, I don't even mind the 15:9 screen or not (is it stretching it or cropping the sides?).

And I agree about the image quality. I'm VERY pleased with the black level (in fact I think I hit the sweet spot by turning it into Power Saving mode, which dims the backlight). Once I even connected my DVD player through Composite and literally laughed at how good the picture quality was... the comb filter is fantastic.

12. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The latest philips lcd's in my opinion are really special. I looked at the 26" a few months ago against everything else and it was my personal pref.

I would consider the 28" Hitachi from RS at 799 quid as well.. a good pic and detachable speakers

13. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lyris: As you have the Sony 26" and are obviously a gamer, I clicked on your site link :thumbsup: have you tried XBOX on this screen? How was it for motion blur, crispness and colour reproduction? Cheers!

EDIT: Also can you put it in a true 16:9 mode (losing 48 vertical lines so you dont lose picture horizontally (I take it that the screen normally just lops off some of the horizontal image at the sides being 15:9))

14. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    The Xbox video output (at 480p) doesn't seem to be quite as crisp as the GameCube's, so for Xbox games I always crank the sharpness up to full. It is definitely very crisp (as crisp as the hardware allows - not a fault of the screen) and the colour reproduction is great. Motion blur is rarely visible - it's always on strong red or black objects. An example of this is the grenades lying on the ground in a Halo 2 game - they leave slight trails when you move the view around.

Sadly, there's no true 16:9 mode - the edges are always clipped.

15. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info :D