Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best 26" LCD for use with NTSC XBox @720p?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Loada, Apr 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I'm looking for a 26" LCD, predominantly for hidef gaming use with the XBox (connected via the MS Hidef component cables). Although there are a few passing comments on the various threads I've searched, there doesn't seem to be much talk of console gaming on LCDs.

Ultimately, I would like the LCD to take care of all my gaming requirements - so that means being able to hookup a whole host of NTSC/USA consoles (SNES, Dreamcast, N64 and Gamecube). If possible, it would be nice if I could use the LCD as a second monitor on my PC too, perhaps to play Half-Life 2, Far Cry etc in widescreen.

Out of all the threads, the set that fits my requirements (and budget) seems to be the ACER 2617 but I need to be sure it works 100% with the XBox in hidef mode, and also at 480p, which is the (progessive) res most of my USA XBox games use. I've also had a look at the Dell 2600 which is a bit more expensive but has an extra set of component inputs that would be handy (the Gamecube could be connected at 480p via component then).

Oh, and the DVI socket *must* be compatible with HDCP (and if possible, 720p@50hz for SkyHD) - I fully intend to run the XBox-2 on this LCD so the DVI socket will be important.

Right, that about covers it <phew!>

Comments and opinions greatfully received - thanks in advance! Also, I have no problem if this turns into a "LCD console gaming" thread, as that's all related!!

2. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey Loada,

Im looking for exactly the same thing as you, but in a 32" LCD.

Ive not seen too many reviews relating to the gaming performance of LCDs, but I presume that anything with a 16ms (or less) response time should be adequate.

If its any help, Ive been looking at the Acer AT3201W and the brand new Hitachi 32LD7200. The Hitachi has a fantastic spec (HDTV ready, HDMI, DVI, Component and 2x RGB), and there may well be a 26" model on the way, but Ive yet to see any reviews.

- Heres a spec sheet for the Hitachi 32";
    http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/DMG/viewProduct_1.jsp?productid=465&drilldown=7&urlnumber=2

- Here's a review of the Acer AL2671W you were looking at;
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1013&head=18

- And a review of the Acer 32" model (makes a few comparisons to the 26")
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1253

Hopefully we'll get a response from someone with LCD + gaming experience....

3. djsat2

djsat2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Viewsonic NW3000, Ive got an Xbox (hi-def component), PC (DVI -HDCP), NTL digital (SCART), Dreamcast (with VGA adapter) and Game Cube (SCART) All hooked up to it. It's panel is about 29" and its refresh is supposed to be 16ms. I think its a great screen, it doesnt have any fans so is silent too and its come down in price a lot since i got mine last November. No dead pixels either.

4. Silas Greenback

Silas Greenback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi I have an xbox hooked up to my 26" sonix (connected via the MS Hidef component cables)

I had to soft mod the xbox to run in NTSC to get progressive, but the benefits are slim.

480P which is what most games are in, is lower definition than Pal at 576i

I have yet to play any games at 720P or even 1080i

As for DVD playback I have tried using the XBOX instead of my real DVD player, as I only have one set of component inputs on the back of the LCD and I have to keep swapping leads.

The XBOX is very jerky at playing Pal DVDs when set to NTSC at 480i (for a un-modded XBOX 480i is all you can get from a DVD) do you have yours chipped? if so what dvd player & chip are you using?

Even with my real DVD player, I honestly could not tell the difference between 576i & 576P.

Whatever resolution you use the component leads make a big difference and the picture quality from both is fantastic.

I'm not sure this can happen yet as for instance in my case I have a DVI port and can run HiDef, but to run HDTV there is alot of security involved and I'm not sure the standards have been finalised?

5. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i have had my xbox playing a 720p game(fifa street) and a 1080i game(dragons lair) and the picture is stunning on the sonix tv, however although it has a dvi in i dont know if it has been confirmed that it is compatible with HDCP

6. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I'd urge a bit of caution with regards to games on lcds. I've got a philips9976 (virtually the same as the popular 9986), with a response rate of 16ms (or was it 12ms, i forget) and while games look superb fast moving games such as halo2 suffer from blurring particularly distant objects. To be fair i am using rgb scart and not component so the other forum members who have posted may have better results. This is just my experience and now i have the xbox back on the crt i use the lcd for tv and dvds. It may be worth posing you query to the consoles forum as it seems to be full of members with modded xbox's and since plasmas,lcd and projectors are the only available hd displays theres bound to folk who can help