1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 26" - 27" LCD for HTPC system :-) help!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by irishkeet, Sep 1, 2005.

1. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all

I have been reading all the threads over the last few days about what LCD to get.

Currently building my HTPC system which will have Gigabyte 'fanless' 6600GT VGA (Is this a good card for a HTPC system)

Now Im having real trouble choosing what LCD to get (currently using the dreaded Sonix which will go back to Sainsburys when I can choose one). I know for a HTPC system I should be looking for an LCD with 1366x768 pixels 1:1 mapping

My initial choices are the following....

Acer AL2671W (1,280 x 768) - due to price and good reviews but will the res be good enough?

Toshiba 27WL56 (1,280 x 720) - Getting an extra inch but again worried about the res.

Samsung LE26R41B (1366x768) - Has the res but Ive read a lot about tearing (some people seem to get it and some not - :confused: )

I really dont want to go over £1000 if possible, am I missing any other high res LCDs?

Any & all help will be much appreciated :clap:

Thanks

Irishkeet

2. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Now wishing to be rude here... but...:D

To start, these forums exist for sharing information and expertise. It is their function. And as such, people are happy to answer queries such as yours, and provide assistance in difficult or technical areas. However, as a first time poster such as yourself, it would probably make people much more inclined to help you, had you TRIED to find the information for yourself first. And I can guarantee you, it's there!
    These sets have been discussed to DEATH, and they even have there own threads discussing the 'issues' with each in massive depth.

I don't wish to speak for everyone, but you will more than likely find that those with the most experience on these matters (myself included) will possibly not bother to reply to yet another 'which tv' thread, when we've answered 384 of them already, and the answers already exist in within the wonderful world of the 'search' function...

Please, use the search, it will produce much more information for you to consider.

If you do try the search, and are still having problems, please, by all means make a posting and ask for help. Just don't be surprised if there are a lack of responses to a question that has been asked and answered many, many, many times before!

:thumbsup:

3. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    HI
    I have been scouring the threads for the past few days but Im still none the wiser, maybe Im searching wrong ill keep trying.

Thanks

Irishkeet

4. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Ok, maybe I was a little harsh, it just does get on my baps a bit, how we always seem to end up answering the same questions...!

Anyway, these might help...
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215071&highlight=27wl56+vga
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220384&highlight=27wl56+vga
    These are for tosh...

This are for samsung...
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217166&highlight=samsung

Yup, they are long, and will need some trawling, just use your browser search function to find keywords, it makes it a lot easier!

5. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Bilbob

Thanks for you help, I have a full day of work ahead so plenty of time to trawl

Irishkeet :thumbsup:

6. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the forum irishkeet!!

That's a bit harsh Bilbob!!

Judging by:

he has actually done some home work!! The guy is just after some advice; it really is a daunting and confusing task when trying to choose an LCD and I sympathise with you Irishkeet.

I know I couldn't have made my purchase without the superb advice offered on these forums!

I understand what you're saying to a degree Bilbob, but when a newbie is confronted with a 100+ page thread about the samsung, one begins to sympathise with said newbie.

Personally, I'd say you've picked out a nice screen in the Samsung, and it does look the best choice out of the 3 at the moment.

May be worth risking the 'tearing' issue for it, but you're gonna be in for a long wait; these screens sell like gold dust..

Ben

7. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Ben

Many thanks for your reply and help.
    In your opinion if Im running a HTPC with the LCD connected through the DVI only this should reduce the chance of tearing.
    Dont have an Xbox or PS to connect, usinging Telewest for TV.

Thanks
    irishkeet :rotfl:

8. av_master

av_master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Irishkeet, if you want to hook it up through dvi, keep in mind that if you use the HDMI port (with DVI -> HDMI adaptor) there may be issues with "overscan". I.e. you might not be able to see the edges of the desktop because the TV cuts off the edges and stretches the middle of the image. I say "might" because there may be ways around it, tho that'd vary from case to case.
    Having said that, you could use the VGA port instead, through which the TV always recognizes the signal as coming from a PC hence no issues with overscan.

You may want to consider the sharp 26GA3E as well (richersounds have some). It is a bit older, but has DVI port instead of HDMI and I've heard it displays the PC signal just as a PC monitor would.

Finally, note that the toshiba 27 is 1280x720, but nobody has managed to feed it a pc signal with that resolution successfully as far as I know, so no 1:1 pixel mapping (only an issue if you want to do text editing really).

9. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if the tearing issue is port specific as I don't own one of these, but I've read that it's input mode specific (720P @ 50 or 60hz, can't remember which).

One thing's for sure; the HDMI port will provide a much crisper image than the VGA port, so text will be much clearer etc for websurfing and the like.

Ben

10. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really? Because I'm sure when I asked people said they would be about equivalent.

11. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi av_master

I just checked the Samsung spec again, I though it had a DVI port (doesnt seem to)
    Really dont want overscan, do you think the picture will be a lot better through DVI rather than VGA.

God there has to be a decent 26" LCD with DVI/HVI, HD ready and well reviewed with a good picture - buying an LCD is like walking a tightrope - lol :devil:

irishkeet

12. televisionuser

televisionuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    With regard to the Samsung panel:

1. - The hdmi does not support PC mode in native resolution, only the d-sub VGA does. However, the VGA image is very good and is very simple to hook up with plug and play.

2. - The VGA does not suffer from tearing so if you're going to be using it exclusively as a HTPC you won't have any problems.

13. av_master

av_master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Irishkeet, if you can get 1:1 pixel mapping over vga the picture should be OK. It won't be as perfect as a purely digital connection, but the difference may be hard to see from some distance, and in any case you wouldn't notice it on anything other than small text). When you do display a non-native resolution, however, things will be MUCH worse, both over DVI and VGA, so really getting the native resolution is the main issue. You may need a recent graphics card for that, or otherwise use a program called powerstrip (google it, it's free).

As for suggestions, as I said, the sharp GA3E has DVI which does work with PC without overscan. The DVI port is also HDCP compliant, so it's almost like HDMI, but without digital sound.
    The only reason I'm not getting that screen is that it's quite expensive at the moment compared to the newer offerings. I started out with the same aim as you, but after many weeks I've sort of admitted defeat and am prepared to settle for PC via VGA, even though PC will be my main use of the thing.

(for what it's worth: currently looking at new sharp GA6E and GD7E series and at toshiba WL56 and WL58, tending towards 32" size instead of 26 originally. They're all quite nice design too.)

14. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi av master

Yes the new Sharp & Toshiba look great (esp the Tosh)
    Whay are people not putting DVI ports on their kit.

I will have had my Sonix a year in March and I have had no problems with it at, but I do know that it will die eventually after reading the thread on it so maybe Ill keep it until after xmas when this new line has come down in price.

Thank for everyones help & advice

irishkeet