Best 2021 65” TV

paulb33

Standard Member
Best 65” TV for 4K UHD Netflix, AppleTV & SkySports? Good viewing angles…but sat 3-5m. Sound not a priority but best 4K picture IS. Money no object (😬). Love the Samsung one Connect box but not tied to it. What would folks buy right now in the UK?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Money no object.?

I'd buy a Sony A90J or a Panasonic JZ-1500

What I'd really buy is a Sony A80J and save the cash as the difference is getting very small vs a lot extra.
Either that or go with the 77" version instead, for a similar outlay.

paulb33

Standard Member
Money no object.?

I'd buy a Sony A90J or a Panasonic JZ-1500

What I'd really buy is a Sony A80J and save the cash as the difference is getting very small vs a lot extra.
Either that or go with the 77" version instead, for a similar outlay.
Distinguishably better than a 2017 Samsung QE65Q9FAM?

Last edited:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Samsung QE65Q9FAM

An edge-lit LED vs an OLED.

Unless it's for a bright room, the OLED is miles better. It doesn't have the brightness of LED but it has perfect blacks to give a much wider contrast ratio.

If OLED is right for your viewing habits and room, no LED TV is going to give a better picture.

Last edited:

paulb33

Standard Member
An edge-lit LED vs an OLED.

Unless it's for a bright room, the OLED is miles better. It doesn't have the brightness of LED but it has perfect blacks to give a much wider contrast ratio.

If OLED is right for your viewing habits and room, no LED TV is going to give a better picture.
Super: thanks - really helpful. It’s a big old period room but fairly dimly lit. It’s got to be wall hung and, due to antique oak panelling, I’ve previously favoured the One Connect box. But, I’m assuming the Sony can be connected with a single HDMI to AV Box?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
By AV "box" do you mean an AV receiver or some type of HDMI splitter?

The answer to either would be yes, but I'd be cautious over what kind of splitter you buy and do a bit of research. I have no experience of them so don't what is good and bad.

paulb33

Standard Member
Yes: thus unlocking myself from Samsung One Connect TVs. I’ll be feeding all sources into a AV receiver, using it as a switch out to one cable (plus power) into the TV.

Now, this is assuming that the Sony OLED picture is superior enough to the top 2021 NeoLED Samsung (with One box) to warrant this trouble…

Last edited:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Again, if OLED is right for your viewing habits and room, no LED TV is going to give a better picture.

And that's an if. Only you can decide that.

With OLED you have no blooming, no haloing, if you switch off the lights the black aspect ratio bars disappear, you won't see them as you have perfect blacks.
But OLED isn't for everyone.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom