Best 2011 1080p Projector under £1000

sandbag102

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in real need of some advice! I have decided to buy a 1080p projector but I am finding it really tough to choose; it's so hard to arrange a viewing and nearly impossible to have comparisons side by side. There have been some similar threads in the past, but I wanted to see if much has changed as the last one I could find on this topic was around a year ago.

I have no real preference between DLP or LCD, I have seen a couple of DLPs and didn't seem to have a problem with rainbows. It doesn't need to be portable, I have a dark room (not pitch black, but pretty good) around 3.5 metres across to project from. I'm not worried about having 3D, and will not be using it for gaming. My main use will be streaming from internet and dvd/blueray movies.

The ones I have in mind so far are as follows:

Optoma HD20/200x - Generally good but sometimes lacking slightly in depth with black/dark colours (around £600-£700)

Epson TW3200- Haven't been able to see this in action but have read some pretty good reviews. Is this a bit old now? (about £900)

Viewsonic Pro8200 - I saw this and it was bright and pretty good on the colours, however, I did think that the picture looked a little 'juddery' at times, but that could have been me, my girlfriend didn't notice?

If there are any other models I should be thinking about or you think that any of these are flawed in any way please let me know. Also if I there are any new models due for release soon should I be holding on a while?

I am really excited about getting a projector, but its quite a big investment for me so I want to make sure I make the right choice. I really appreciate any tips or advice!

I don't have a problem with the first two but the viewsonic seems to have a few issues.

I would add into the mix the Mitsubishi HC4000 at £999 approx it has a slight better image to the other two and marginally better blacks/contrast just a bit more difficult regarding placement due to a fairly large (18" approx )offset.If that is not an issue it is the best image quality of the 3 but is also the most expensive.

Thanks for the reply.. I just had a look at the Mitsubishi HC4000, it definitely looks like a great option which I will keep in mind, but it is at the top of my price range. It seems to have some great reviews.

When you say that the Viewsonic seems to have some issues is that regarding the firmware? I did read about that but someone said an update has been released to solve those. Are there other issues with it too?

Cheers

There have been various issues regarding reliability/firmware/support/rainbows/judder with this projector in the USA where quite a few folks have sent them back.

Very few have been sold over here so I don't know whether these issues are likely to manifest themselves.I personally would not take the gamble when there are other pj's out there that have a better reputation at a similar cost.

The same goes for the Infocus 8600 which on paper looks good and a decent price but the 2-3 folks on here that got them had to send them back because the rainbows were so bad.

Sounds like some good advice - I think the Pro-8200 is definitely off the list in that case. I am really considering the Mitsubishi HC4000 now, I just have to see if I can stretch that extra couple of hundred and maybe cut back a bit on my sound and bluray options.

hi kbfern, thanks for your input with this. I was just wondering if you have seen the Mitsubishis and Epson in action? If so, is there quite a markable difference between the Mitsubishi HC3800 and the HC4000, and what do you think are the key pros and cons between these and the Epson TW3200?

Thanks

I have seen the Mits 3800 & 4000 along with the Epson 3200 & HD20 ( I have an HD20/TW3200 myself) and have had these all in my room at the same time.

I would rate them as follows:

HD20/200x best regards price
TW3200 most flexible for placement
HC3800/4000 slightly better for image quality but not so good on placement.

Regards image quality there is not a huge difference between any of them so you can really pick by price or convenience.

All have their plus-minus points:

Mits good image quality/poor regards placement but that may not be an issue to you.
Optoma good image quality but not as good as Mits but cheaper
Epson image slightly better than Optoma but blacks not as good as the Mits but has lens shift which makes placement a cinch.

The only other consideration is the Mits/Optoma are DLP so make sure rainbows are not a problem,but as you saw the Viewsonic and rainbows were not an issue so the Mits/Optoma will be even less of an issue.

Thanks, it's so useful to be able to get that kind of overview. I have arranged a viewing for the Epson and possibly an Optoma later this week so I will see how they go, I don't think I will be able to see a Mits, but I will have a good reference from what you have said and by looking at other reviews.

Sorry but just one last thing; do you think that the Mits come up sufficiently bright or does the room have to be 100% blacked out. I'm just curious as the brightness is lower than some on paper at 1300 lumens.

They are all bright enough in a room with some ambient light as long as you are not going to have a screen larger than 120" diagonal.

Also don't expect the best results from any projector in a bright room in full daylight.All of these will be ok in a room during daylight hours with a blind or curtain drawn.At night will really be very good even with light painted walls/ceilings.

Obviously a proper batcave is always best but not everyone can have dark walls ceilings etc,but don't worry you will be fine.

Quick update, I have now ordered the HC4000 and anxiously waiting for it to be delivered in the next few days. I will let you know my verdict.

Cheers for your help..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom