best 2000 uk pound 1080p projectors for big screen - 4M wide

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by steve8081, Feb 12, 2009.

1. steve8081

steve8081
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am getting cluded up on 1080p projectors at the minute. I do understand that the image quality is determined by a number of things such as brightness, contrast , fast moving sceens, room treatment , screen type etc .....and my eyes sencitivity

Now.. for me the one thing i personally really do want is a BIG image - about 3.5m to ideally 4m horizontally wide projected image. but naturally i want the image quality to be the bests it can be ( for my money !)

i have a room that is 6m square and 4m high that i am going to convert (cheaply) to be totaly dark that will soley be for viewing in, plus - this projector will only be for watching blue ray films - james bond, The gladiator etc.. ... not for general tv or sports

i would be greatful for suggestions on which projectors at around 2000 uk pound ( or cheaper ) new or used that would give the best overall proformance for my needs.

im concidering the HD1 & W5000 if anyone can verify there suitability or suggest other models i would be greatful.

steve

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    For £2000 the main two contenders to me would be the Sony VPL-HW10 and the Panasonic PT-AE3000.

3. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    add to that list the Epson TW3800

4. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I'd make the screen smaller. In a 6m square room that leaves you about 4m away from a 4m wide by 2.25m high image. Might be alright with 2.35 HD material, but fullscreen 16:9 (especially if we are talking upscaled SD) is going to be pretty poor to look at. Especially with a 2 grand projector budget (have you kept enough money aside for a screen?).

Sony is a decent option, personally I would want to spend more and go with the Sim2 Domino D60 but I do prefer DLP to LCOS. Both the Sony and Sim2 have a 200w lamp which should do you with a decent bit of room lighting control. I wouldn't want LCD at all personally (Epson, Mitsubishi, Panasonic etc).

Worth demoing DLP and LCOS to see which technology you prefer

5. steve8081

steve8081
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank for the suggestions all

as it happens i demoed a inforus IN83, it was nice, i did get rainbow effect - but it didnt realy bother me.

i will look into the D60 ..

I wouldnt bother watching up scaled SD stuff - cant see the point if it looks bad - like i can see the point of watch a crap pirate of a new film!! why spoil it a good film for your self :thumbsdow

and ill be getting a screen .....the next month !! was got to look into DIY screen first ... any comments ?

but could anyone just clarify for me, when watching, lets say, a Panasonic PT-AE3000 in 16:9 mode - is the letter box acctually caused 'redundant pixels' in the 1080p LDC panel? ... so in effect your losing image resolutuion ?

steve

6. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Upscaled SD can look very good. My point was that the image is too big for your seating position, and when you are so close to such a big image aside from it just plain being too big artefacts from upscaling SD or even poor deinterlacing of HD are going to be more obvious than if you were 1.5X screen width or more away. With higher quality video processors and displays you will get less artefacts so can push the limits. Have you been out and seen any projectors, and at the size you are thinking from the distance you are thinking?

7. steve8081

steve8081
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i will accutally be sitting about 6m away with my sofa under the projector shelf

... but the room i will also be making in a black hole !! as i done want anything in there destracting the depth of field for thje image...

so do u have a Sim2 Domino D60 ? oh lol - i just noticed ur shop .

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009