Question Best 2 mtr balanced cables on a budget

Higibuilder

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

What are the best budget balanced cables .
Need 1.5 or 2 mtr

Many thanks in advance

What are you connecting to what that you need 2m XLR Balanced Cables?

I'm not doubting you, just trying to expand the perspective. Indeed DJ and Musician Supply Stores should have no problem offering you a wide range of XLR cables.

I'm assuming your need XLR-Male to XLR-Female. Either way you need to make sure the cables you buy match the connectors you have.

Dolphin Music

Studio Spares

DV247

And many other DJ/Musican supply store can help you.

I suspect you can find them on Amazon-UK as well.

Cables To Go 2m Pro-Audio XLR Male to XLR Female: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

What equipment you have and what budget you have would be very helpful in making recommendations.

Leads - XLR - Cables & Leads - Studiospares

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I had my balanced XLR interconnects custom made by Designacable .

You can have any length or colour you want of Van Damme Starquad cable with Neutrik XLR balanced plugs.
They are £14.04 each for a 2m length and are made with silver plated UPOFC copper.

Van Damme STARQUAD Balanced Male XLR to Female XLR Mic Lead

They are superbly built and can be made to match you colour scheme .:) .

If you want quality cable at a fair price, the DesignACable looks pretty good. They also sell on EBay and have about 20,000 transactions with 99.99% positive feedback.

Steve/bluewizard

What equipment you have and what budget you have would be very helpful in making recommendations

Hi thanks for the help guys

Looking at going balanced between my primare pre and new Parasound halo a21 amp

Need cables ether way so thought balanced would be the way to go . Have around £75-100
To play with even used cables if I'm going to get the extra quality
Thanks rob

Hi thanks for the help guys

Looking at going balanced between my primare pre and new Parasound halo a21 amp

Need cables ether way so thought balanced would be the way to go . Have around £75-100

To play with even used cables if I'm going to get the extra quality
Thanks rob

Cool, sounds like a great system. Curious about the 2 meter between the Pre-Amp and Power Amp, can you explain that. I'm not challenging you, just trying to better understand the system.

I've not done business with Design-A-Cable, but they seem to be using quality cable and good connectors, and the price seems more than fair.

I think it is just a matter of choosing the quality of cable you want.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi
Items are 1.5 metres apart and both use balanced connections . At the moment I'm using a basic phono cable between them so as I'm going to replace that cable anyway I thought I would buy a balanced one

What's the benefits if any over them with these 2 please .

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:

£85 to £120 per pair, are you sure you need to spend that much?

Keep in mind it is just wire. There is an aspect of material quality which would be reflected in the ability of the cable to endure.

The first Photo is something of a LITZ style wire. I can't tell if it is simply twisted wire or if it is multiple shielded wires. But I would be more inclined to consider the second wire.

Steve/bluewizard

Great thanks only looking at the litz wire as wasent sure if silver would make a better conductor for the cable .
If the basic cables will work just as well I may as well give them a try . Also if the cables from desighn a cable look good enough is it worth spending extra on better xlr ends .

Many thanks

Great thanks only looking at the litz wire as wasent sure if silver would make a better conductor for the cable .
If the basic cables will work just as well I may as well give them a try . Also if the cables from desighn a cable look good enough is it worth spending extra on better xlr ends .

Many thanks

Though I can't be sure, it appears that Design-A-Cable is using Neutrik XLR connectors which are pretty much the industry standard.

Neutrik XLR - Google Search

Also nice that you can get difference Cable Colors and different Connector Boot Colors. That would make the cables easy to identify.

Also, they seem to use a variety of Van Damme and Sommer cable, both of which look pretty high quality.

I haven't personally done business with them. But the company seems OK.

You might want to talk with Electro58 who originally suggested this company, and get some sense of his experience with them.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Thanks again

I'm with you in that the quality and price seem superb value for money . Will call the company in the morning and see what they suggest

Rob

Well ordered a 2mtr pair off DesignACable yesterday and they arrived today . Quality looks great looking forward to testing tomorrow night but so far so good

I would not buy the ones on the left because it does not look like they have any shielding? Also way too expensive. While the principle of balanced cable reduces pick up and noise through common mode rejection it is always better to have the the audio wires shielded - you know belt and braces.

Thanks cliff

Went for the cheaper versions and so far so good . Great depth and when I flick between balanced and non balanced I'm sure the volume is slightly higher on the balanced cables .

Just bought second pair . So impressed and can't believe they sell for peanuts .

They are amazing value aren't they, the build quality is first class as is the sound quality.
I don't know how they can sell these custom cables made to order for the price.
Cables don't get any better than these .:smashin:

They are amazing value aren't they, the build quality is first class as is the sound quality.
I don't know how they can sell these custom cables made to order for the price.
Cables don't get any better than these .:smashin:
Did you find the cables got better after burning in .

Did you find the cables got better after burning in .

I am not sure whether it was real or imagined but the music sounded a touch recessed on first listen but very quickly opened to the normal balanced sound .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom