• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best 2 Channel Setup for £400

SPB

Novice Member
Hi Everyone,

I want to buy an amplifier or receiver and a set of speakers with a £400 budget for both. I would like the best 2 channel sound that I can afford.

Here’s what I have narrowed it down to;

Receiver/Amplifier: Yamaha – RXV375 OR Marantz PM6005

Speakers: Dali Zensor 1 (Would prefer floorstanders, but not sure what I can get that is any good for my budget?)

Can I run the Marantz PM6005 as is without a pre-amp etc?

dante01

Distinguished Member
The Yamaha RXV375 is a multichannel (5.1) AV receiver and not an integrated stereo amp. This wouldn't be a good option unless you want surround sound and are interested in video switching as well as multichannel audio? If wanting a Yamaha stereo intergrated amp then consider the AS500 as a viable alternative to the Marantz PM6005.

The PM6005 is a stereo integrated amplifier so no pre amp would be required. You simply connect up your speakers and your audio sources to the amp and off you go (well, almost). Your budget wouldn't really afford you a decent pair of floorstanders, but you will need stands for the Zensor 1 speakers.

SPB

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply, I understand that the Yamaha is a receiver but how would the sound quality differ over 2 channels compared to the Marantz?

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd be paying more for the additional number of onboard amplifiers and audio processing than the quality of the hardware. The sound quality in relation to stereo reproduction would not equate to what you'd expect from the Marantz or any other similarly priced dedicated stereo amplifier. You need to spend roughly 3 times the cost of a stereo integrated amplifier on an AV receiver in order to get comparative sound quality and stereo performance. You'd need to be spending close to £1K on an AV receiver for its stereo audio abilities to be close to those of the PM6005.

If wanting stereo performance then buy a dedicated stereo integrated amp and not a multichannel AV receiver.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You can pick up the Marantz for about £250 and a pair of the Zensor 1 speakers for just under £160, but this still wouldn't beat the combined deal you've seen.

Also consider the Yamaha AS500 amplifier I mentioned and maybe go have a listen prior to making your mind up? The Monitor Audio BX2 speakers are another option worth auditioning.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom