Best 2.1 speakers for music not gaming

Algoz

I'm more interested in good quality music playback rather than gaming. I've researched Corsair SP2200, Altec Lansing MX6021 and also Logitech (various). I've just not been able to reach a conclusion.

I've got an iMac 27, so my music collection is huge... :)

I know choice is subjective, but if anyone can recommend based upon music quality (clarity rather than punch) I'd be grateful :)

LJx

The people in he Hi-fi / music section would probably have good advice

namuk

Distinguished Member
listened to a Altec Lansing 2.1 set a while back and i was impressed with them not sure what model they were though, also if you nick to pc world they have allot on display and you can test them as well.

i did hear theses HARMAN KARDON SoundSticks III 2.1 PC Speakers - Clear at cheap prices | PC World only 3 weeks ago some guy was testing them all out they sounded very good.

but why not just plug your system into the Av setup you have , unless you want them mobel that is.

Berties

Banned
How about Q-Acoustics 2010 with 2070 subwoofer? Then a budget Rotel 30W amplifier will do. Certainly better than "PC" speakers.

Algoz

listened to a Altec Lansing 2.1 set a while back and i was impressed with them not sure what model they were though, also if you nick to pc world they have allot on display and you can test them as well.

i did hear theses HARMAN KARDON SoundSticks III 2.1 PC Speakers - Clear at cheap prices | PC World only 3 weeks ago some guy was testing them all out they sounded very good.

but why not just plug your system into the Av setup you have , unless you want them mobel that is.

thanks for your reply. I did look at the harman pardon, but they're so ugly!
My Mac is in my office, so I need separate speaker system as AV is downstairs.

Algoz

How about Q-Acoustics 2010 with 2070 subwoofer? Then a budget Rotel 30W amplifier will do. Certainly better than "PC" speakers.

Nice option - but VERY expensive....

RobM

Distinguished Member
The Soundsticks sound superb, one of the best sounding 2.1 setups for the money. I miss mine sometimes :(

The other option is a cheap A/V amp from the For Sale section here, plus some bookshelf speakers to match. Getting an amp with an optical input means you can feed it from the optical output of your iMac. You don't need to spend a fortune to match of better your average PC speaker setup, but you get a heck of a lot more flexibility.

darreld67

Novice Member
I've got an iMac 27, so my music collection is huge... :)

:) I have a 19" monitor with a linux set up and my music library is large as well.

littledavenet

Standard Member
Im currently looking for alternatives for the Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 Speaker System.

Looking for for reviews for the Lars & Ivan's

peritus

Banned
I've just bought the BOSE Companion 3's today from Comet at £249.00

Cant state enough how bloomin good they are; they're connected directly to my MAC and placed on my solid desk in the home office and they sound superb

They need a little running as you can hear how stiff the sub is still but once a good few hours are through them they'll sound even better

I have demo'd the B&W MM1's a few times now and still love them but they just didnt reproduce the bass I wanted more so when listening to the likes of Electronica (Royksopp, Mount Kimbie, SBJKT etc..)

peritus

Banned

Berties

Banned
For £250 you could buy stereo mini monitors and amp whic'll blow those Bose out of the water. Q Acoustics 2010 speakers.

peritus

Banned
Berties said:
For £250 you could buy stereo mini monitors and amp whic'll blow those Bose out of the water. Q Acoustics 2010 speakers.

After reading into the OP's topic it appears he's interested in a system (ie he mentions the Logitech systems etc...) so I thought the Bose suggestion would be relevant...

Not everyone wants an amp and stereo speakers on their desk; if that was the case I'd have put the NAD C320BEE amp and B&W 602 S2's I've got in my loft with my mac!

Instead of the smart arsed comments why don't you offer some alternative suggestions...?!

Berties

Banned
I did. Mini monitors and a small amp. I'm using B&W 601's as well, but if you want something smaller, then something exists and way better than 2.1 sat Bose system lol.

ie 3.5" midbass driver (mini monitor size)

paulr

Any update. I have the same problem.
I tried some 2.0 speakers, too much bass. I also tried a creative bluetooth speaker, not exactly what i'm after.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J/A80J OLED details, Best type of Amplification, Film & TV Show News + Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom