1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 17" Widescreen LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by steve 111, Dec 2, 2003.

1. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Want to replace my old 14" CRT thats in the bedroom with a 17" Widescreen LCD. I have a budget of £1,000, but I am limited in that I have to buy from Comet as I have a credit note. Anyone any reccomendations?

2. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pity you have to go to comet as Dabs are doing a Relisys 17" widescreen tv for £434. Nexnix.co.uk and Richer Sounds also do them for about a tenner more.

They have tuner, teletext, 400cdm brightness, 400:1cr and 16ms response time (good for games).

Link here

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    their is a nice philips 17" Pity that you are limited to comet though! as they arent on the website! How much is the credit note for??? They have Sharp 22" for £999 or LG £552 sharp is superb and looks great with FV or DVD.

The real pity is we have the Phillips 17" on display and a special deal with a DVD Suround system!!!

4. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Credit note is for £750 and there's nothing else I want that Comet would sell. I know the Phillips unit you're on about, it got the top review in What Hi-Fi? this month but I phoned Comet HO and they're not stocking it yet!

5. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

(Setting aside the Comet issue)

I have bought her indoors the Grundig 17inch that DSG have. I took advantage of the 10% off that was on the website a while back and got it for £453 delivered. I have bought the Netgem freeview box with the express intention of not allowing her to have an aerial input to the TV. It will be driven solely from the Netgem using the Component output ability of the Netgem and by running the optical audio out to her nice little Teac separates system. Awaiting scart->component cable at present so have not been able to test the Grundig in this way. Interesting to note that this setup will allow her to check her emails using the Netgem during the adverts of Hollyoaks while painting her nails...

However, I have had the Grundig up and running using composite and it was so-so. Also tried bog standard aerial in and the TV tuner works fine. Slight problem in that you can't reorder TV channels though. TV is fine, picture hopefully better using components. Bit plasticky and the onboard sound is very tinny. Remote is arse but I the idea is no-one uses the remote for the TV, just the Netgem remote. All in all, for £453 it looks a good purchase to me.

Worth mentioning that before I bought it online, I forced myself to go to my local Currys. It was £499 instore but as the website was out of stock at the time I was torn whether to buy it there and then. Sales monkey refused point blank to match the 10% web offer. I then said that I would like to see the TV being driven by the component inputs. Fine with him so he went over to the TV and proudly pronounced it was using the component inputs. It wasn't - one video input with a yellow coloured phono. Comp.....osite! When I asked if he had a DVD player with component out, he pronounced that this TV would only accept a component input from a Grundig DVD player as the brands had to be the same. At this point I left before I gave monkey boy a banana. When will they learn?

Kindest of advent regards
    Andrew

6. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    another vouch for the relisys 17inch, doesnt help you but I took delivery of the black and silver model today, over the moon with it, just waiting for the bracket i bought off a forum member and I'm a happy man!

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I bought the 17" widescreen Grundig LCD as bedroom television when it was £700 at Currys.

I have a component video signal running to it from it from Sky digibox via an RGB2YUV convertor -- the picture is fantastic.

Also run an RF lead from Sky+ box downstairs, and that's a good picture too.

You can change channel order, just not easy; but sound is a little tinny and remote control bites. But picture quality is good.

StooMonster

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Another Grundig fan especially at £450, it was a bargain at £700

9. gurj

gurj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to add my bit !

I bought the Grundig along with a Philips digibox and a Tosh 330e specifically for it's component outputs ( and it's a superb piece of kit for the price ).

At the moment i've got the Tosh running going into the component inputs but in order to the sound from the DVD player into the tv you have to use the L/R audio inputs of the S-video inputs leaving you with a s-video input spare as you can't input any sound in for that as they're being used !

I've got the digibox running in via composite using a Thor switchable lead and to be honest there's little difference between svideo in or composite using a top notch lead.

But what i wanted to say was that the PQ is excellent off the Digibox and off the Tosh it is awesome.

Got the sound going out of the Grundig into some Mission Nxt flat panels and a sub and it sounds superb !

I would recommend the Grundig to anyone but just be aware , yes there are four inputs, vga, composite, svideo and component but for av purposes only two can be used to carry sound as well as vision ( component / composite ) or ( svideo / composite ) but all four can carry the vision component.

Looking at investing in a 'cheap' slimline receiver that Richer Sounds are advertising to overcome this.

10. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I'm a relisys owner.. superb.. and it sounds great (and this is with the built in speakers..)

no RGB only component/svideo/composite and vga.. bargain for the money.

Matt