1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 17 inch LCD?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mc_blue, Dec 30, 2003.

1. mc_blue

mc_blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currentely looking at a Philips 17PF9945. I have been impressed with the look of the set and the specifications seem good for the price. However, when visiting my local Comet I could not properly appreciate the picture quality as the set was poorly installed (poor cables, channels not fine tuned etc.) and the sales staff knew less about television than myself...

As I am a newbie to this forum what other alternatives should I look out for?

I have read a couple of previous threads on this particular model and the general feedback seems to be pretty good. On the other hand, is there chance of a newer model coming out in a couple of months time? I do not need to purchase this TV immediately and would rather hold out for a newer model if possible.

Finally I am concerned about the lifespan of these screens. Does anyone know the number of hours for a Philips LCD? I do not want this set to just die after a couple of years :mad:

Thanks in advance mc_blue ;)

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi,

Check out the Grundig 17" model sold only at Currys/Dixons (I'm afraid) so don't expect to find it connected up with any source better than composite!. Excellent set and now reduced to £499 I believe from the £699 it was originally. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dixons in Durham had this on display with a further £100 off, down to £399

4. mc_blue

mc_blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks but I am really warming to the Philips model. What are you opinions on the 9945? I have found it for £600 online aswell, which I feel is a good price. :cool:

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Newer model? Yes, almost certainly. Newer cheaper better LCDs are appearing all the time. At its launch only just over a year ago, the Panachronic 22incher was GBP2500. Now, you can buy a Thomson 27 incher for GBP1500.

Lifespan: The only component that ages on an LCD set is the backlight. Of course anything else can fail as with any piece of electronics. Can't speak for Philips, but Sharp were claiming a 60,000 hour life for their backlight. Short answer: Much longer than you are likely to need unless you are unlucky.

Alternatives: The Grundig as stated. Very good set and good value. At this size, there are many others, including Sharp, LG, Samsung etc.

6. tartan_guru

tartan_guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Mc_blue,

I've had the philips for over two months now, and have been very happy with it. If you can get it for £600 then it's an absolute steal!
    I posted my initial experiences here:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103232

The main reason that I stretched that little bit further for the philips over Grundig/LG etc was for the built in Faroudja DCCi de-interlacing chip. It does a stunning job of deinterlacing the signal from a freeview box, and is a rare find in a product of this price range.

It is worth pointing out that Philips and LG use the same LCD panels for smaller screen sizes (see http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/en/index.html for more details). Yet to my eyes, the Philips has a much better better. It goes to show that it's not just the panel but also the electronics that drive it.

Regards

Ross

7. mc_blue

mc_blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. I think that I will stick with the Philips model unless there really is a much better alternative.

8. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    mc_blue..did you buy one?