1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 16:9 and 4:3 for £2500?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gorthaur, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Gorthaur

Gorthaur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for advice for the best projector under £2500 that can do 16x9 for sources such as dvd - and also 4:3 for sources such as normal vhs video (non widescreen).

Looking through this forum - the Panasonic PTA100E seems to be quite well received - but can it do 4:3 without stretching it to 16:9?

I'm hoping to avoid the 'screendoor' effect too that I've heard mentioned with regards to projectors with a lower resolution... and not knowing too much about standard features on projectors, keystone correction would seem to be desirable too.

Is it possible to get a projector that will do all that for the price or I am I asking too much...?

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    the AE100 will do 4:3 in a window, with bars left and right, just like a widescreen TV. It also has the 'just' stretch if you want (stretches the edges more than the middle to reduce distortion)

If you are mainly using it for widescreen (digital TV, DVDs), then I'd recommend a 16:9 panel, as you'll have smaller bars, so less need to mask off the screen.

There is a new Sony coming soon (HS2) which is also 16:9 and should be a similar price to the AE100.

3. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Wait until next year!!! There will be some great projectors out then.

The new Panny PT-AE200, PT-AE300 and Sony HS10, their budget Wide XGA projector, with the same resolution as the HT10/HT11.

Or if you can't wait you could import one later this year from www.pricejapan.com

For £2,500, you should be able to get a Sony HS-10.

:p I'm so jealous

4. Gorthaur

Gorthaur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Richard, Jonny1973 - I'm pleased that the Panasonic will do 4:3 with bars (I don't mind that) as I really wanted the panasonic to complement my RA71.

Now I'm in a dilemma though... Wait and order the new 200 version via Japan or to say "I can't wait" and just go for the 100...

Hmmm... Something to think about.

Thanks for the info though.

5. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AE200, is only a slight improvement over the AE100. I think the contrast is slightly better. Screendoor should be almost the same. Have you considered the AE300???

Personally, I'd go for the Sony HS10 with its Hi-Res panels. Screendoor should be less of a problem than with an AE100.

With any projector you MUST have a demo. A lot of the considerations you must take into account are personal ones (price, bulb life, bulb cost, screendoor, contrast, noise etc...) and don't forget to budget for cables, screen etc...

When I bought my AE100 in Feb 2002, there were no other 16:9 projectors in my price range (<£2000). In late 2002/early 2003 there will be loads.

6. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't use 4:3 mode for watching 4:3 material.

The AE100 has a "Just" mode which stretches the edges of the pic to fill the screen. Just like Panasonic 16:9 TVs do.

It works quite well.