1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 1280x720 DLP projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Neelix, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking around at many of the DLP projectors for circa £1000-1500 but they all appear to be XGA 1024x768 as opposed to WXGA 1280x720. I have decided to get a 42" plasma (either LG or NEC) and then purchase a DLP projector however I want the projector purely for movies therefore I am assuming that it should have a native 720p resolution for HD content and DVD upscaling. So what would people recommend for my budget which has the native 1280x720 resolution and has DVI/HDMI with HDCP compatibility?

2. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Panasonic PT-AE700 is within your budget ~£1300 and 1280x720. Think its one of the few that is.... sure others will be along to say there are lots more soon! Wouldn't get hung up over resolution though unless you are going to to use a PC hooked up a lot. LCD are only ones in your budget to give you this resolution, but I would check out some demos first. DLP especially is not all about res for great home cinema from the demos I've seen.

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    If your looking for solid performance at a great price then the optoma H77 would be hard to beat.(approx £3000)
    If you want best of the best then the Sim2 300E(approx 7K) followed by the marantz S3.(6K)

(although there is soon to be an optoma H79(4K) and a Marantz S4(8K)

These are all native 720p DLP.

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Not quite in Neelix's budget of £1000-£1500 though gandley.
    The only pj's with that resolution within that price range are LCD projectors. The sanyo Z3 and panasonic AE700 spring to mind as both offer native widescreen and your required resolution. DLPs by their very nature do not show up their lower resolutions as much as LCD can so a 576 res DLP could easily look as good as a 720 LCD, infact, I own a 480 res Infocus SP4805 and don't find it's lower resolution a problem at all.

One important point though, if possible, audition any projector before parting with your cash as all carry with them the potential for problems such as verticle banding ( LCD) or rainbows (DLP). But not all suffer from these so audtion to see if yours is ok.

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    er well there was a post that said regardless of budget but thats now gone

6. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a couple of DLP's coming out in march (apparently) that might be worth a look at. Benq 7700 and toshiba mt-700. Both HD2+ chips so the resolution you want. Retail price less than $3500 in the states, so should translate to about £1500 from the mail order places over here.

7. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, it's very useful! So it would seem the reason I can't find a WXGA DLP projector for £1500 is because they don't exist :rolleyes: :laugh:

I have viewed a couple of DLP projectors and almost all current DLP RPTVs and have yet to see the rainbow effect so I guess I'm lucky. I have yet to see a LCD projector simply because I didn't think they were really up to the task of movies and gaming :confused: How does the Sony HS50 compare to the Sanyo Z3 and Panasonic AE700? As I understand it the Sony claims a contrast of 6000:1 which on paper sounds awesome but is this just numbers marketing? Also some reviews suggest the projector is not particularly bright? My final point with the LCD is the poor response times. Do we have figures on these models as anything more than 20ms starts to look a little blurry for me on fast moving scenes and games (only viewed on small 17" LCD screens though)

8. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd definately recommend you audition a few LCD projectors, they are capable of excellent performance, tend to be brighter for a given lamp power and can often produce better colour saturation.

I'm pretty sure the response times are much faster than large TFT monitors, simply due to the MUCH smaller pixel size. I certainly don't notice any significant bluring when playing games on my (budget) LCD projector.

9. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    WXGA DLP do indeed exist but most if not all are outside of your price budget. probably one of the closest to what you wish to pay and one of the best is the Infocus Screeplay 7200 ( now superseeded by the £5000 SP7205). I've seen people on here saying you can now buy the 7200 for around £2000 which I know is above your limit, but worth saving for. The specs are:
    Display: Type:
    0.8" DLP (1)
    Color Wheel Segs: 6
    Color Wheel Speed: 5x
    Native: 1280x720 Pixels
    Maximum: 1280x1024 Pixels
    Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (WXGA)

Brightness (Lumens) : 1000 ANSI
    Contrast: Full On/Off: 1400:1

Compatibility: HDTV:
    1035i, 1080p, 1080i
    720p, 576p
    EDTV/480p: Yes
    SDTV/480i: Yes
    Component Video: Yes
    Video: Yes
    Digital Input: DVI (HDCP)

DLP contrast ratios for any given number always look better than LCD of the same ratio so don't be put off by the apparently low 1400:1 cr.
    Loads of other manufactures make WXGA DLP projectors but prices tend to start at around £3000.

10. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    I've got an Themescene H57 on loan at the moment to compare against my Panny AE100.

And what a difference!! Well worth considering IMHO.

Now If only I had the readies....

Chris

11. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had a fantastic demo of the Infocus 4805 & 5700 DLPs viewing T3, Kill Bill, Monsters Inc and The Gladiator. While the resolution for the 4805 is only 854x480 I was still very impressed by the picture quality, colours and overall clarity. It was very smooth, with good shadow detail and blacks in Terminator 3 and I didn't see any rainbows. Unfortunately I couldn't attach my laptop to this PJ but I did with the 5700. The WMV HD 720p samples looked stunning even though the native resolution is only 1024x576. The dvd image was very good although I can't say it was any better than the lower spec 4805 both playing the same discs and scenes via a Denon 3910 over HDMI. The real benefits of the 5700 was the greater picture scaling and the fact that the pc i.e. internet etc was very good.

So here is my dilema, do I really need to go to a native HD projector i.e. 1280x720 WXGA. With my price bracket of £1500 (exc VAT) it would seem that only an LCD projector could offer the extra resolution but are they as good as lower res DLPs for movies? Can anyone suggest where I might be able to demo an LCD projector, ideally 1280x720, so I can make a direct comparison. I would be very happy with the image quality of the DLP @ 576p but if I can get a higher res and an equally good picture then why not LCD... perhaps the Sony HS50? Are there any better DLP projectors that are of similar spec/price to the Infocus models I demoed?

12. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    nexnix in horsham will happily demo the HS-50 and they're the cheapest price I've seen for it too. Their advert (under the name shoot and show is I believe often at the top of these pages!!!

13. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to say I'm in Bristol sooooooo, anyone closer? ;)

14. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    How about buy an XGA DLP now for around your price range, and add an anamorphic lens to it later? The lens will get you to within 13% of 1280 x 720 and give you a little more brightness as well as extra resolution. The NEC HT1000 and HT1100 had this option with a bespoke lens, so perhaps one of those second hand might be suitable.

Gary.

15. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    The claimed 6000:1 of the sony HS51 is a dream TBH. on the avs forum some have compared this PJ with the likes of the benq 8700+ and optoma H77 and felt it still wasnt up to the task of taking on DLP. Best of LCD for sure, with much improved blacks but there are also problems caused by the Dynamic iris and how it controls light in certain scences.(very much so when going to dark to bright etc)

Garys idear of a second hand Ht1000 is a realy sound recomendation as you can pick one up quite cheap and this is one hell of of a PJ which had excellent contrast from day 1.(plus good brightness)

optoma H57 is also worth a look

16. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    As you say Neelix, the picture on the 5700 and even the 4805 is fantastic and more than watchable as a movie source. The problem when HD arrives is that you'll always be thinking how High Def would look if actually viewed in High Def and not scaled down to 576 lines again. You'll definately want to upgrade to a true High def res projector so you can truly take advantage of what High Def will offer.
    The question is, do you buy a lower res projector now and upgrade in a year or so when High def becomes a viable reality or do you just go for the High Def res projector now and be ready for when it comes.
    That's your decision, but think about it because when High Def does happen, lower res projectors will plummet in value and you'll have to give your 4805 away !!!
    If you can afford it, or if you have to save for another month, buy a 720 res DLP projector and be ready for the future !

17. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    Of course, when true Hi Def 1080 arrives either later this year or sometime next year, all the 720 pjs will drop in value too. Depending on how much the 1080 pjs cost when introduced of course. :)

Gary.

18. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really don't know what to say or do :confused: The 5700 was fantastic with DVD (as was the 4085) but it was even better with the WMV HD material. So that suggests to me that even with a SD projector i.e. 480 or 576, HD material still looks better than DVD in spite of the downscaling.

I have seen HD on a number of DLP RPTVs and I have to admit it looks stunning but it is very hard to compare a 50" tv to a 90"+ projected image. The idea of buying second hand is tempting but for the fact it will be a company purchase and I would like at least a 3 year warranty. I guess I really need to see a good LCD projector to be able to make a decision on what is the best bang for buck tempered by being future proof. [​IMG] Bearing in mind this will be mainly used for movie viewing (and the odd presentation), the plasma will serve as my everyday tv and HD monitor so perhaps I should just plumb for for a SD Infocus projector as they are so good.

19. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I heard that 720p looks better than 1080i on fast moving scenes ( i.e. most movies we all like to watch on our pjs) and 1080i looks better on still images. Affordable 1080p projectors are a long way off I believe so i think 720p projectors will hold their value when HD comes out especially if Europe decide to go with 720p as their standard for HD as is being considered.

Neelix, just get the one you like best and can afford, and if it's the 5700, I'll have it off you next year when you upgrade and I'll flog my 4805 !!!!