Best 10 Blu-rays (UK) for January 2022 - news discussion

Mark Costello

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
Boom, and competitions live for 6/10 of these titles! Links are in Mark's article.

For January, I'm looking forward to the following, though all due towards/at the end of the month:

Dune
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Prodigal Son/Warriors Two
Raging Fire

I consider myself a movie lover, but I didn’t take to Censor at all. Everyone else seems to love it.

Looking forward to seeing Censor and I will definitely seek out Jakob’s Wife, Barbara Crampton is a very committed actress, loved her in From Beyond and Re-Animator.

For January, I'm looking forward to the following, though all due towards/at the end of the month:

Dune
Raging Fire
Sammo Hungs The Prodigal Son? Love that film.

Cheers Mark,
added Jakob's Wife and Shock to my shopping list for this month! :)

Censor 9/10 ... so 1 off perfect? Really? It started off well enough but went down hill badly ... 6/10.

Dune
Raging Fire
1 and 2 possibly the best movies of 2021 .... so yeah. Both infinitely better than anything on this January list.

1 and 2 possibly the best movies of 2021 .... so yeah. Both infinitely better than anything on this January list.
I think they’d probably go on a best 4K blu ray list. It’s just i tend to buy mainly regular blu rays which is why i included them on mine.

Worth reiterating that 4K releases will likely get their own review - this list is for films that do not get a UK 4K release: 1080p releases only.

Last edited:

Dune
Raging Fire
Ironically, I've just received Prodigal Son/Warriors Two in the post today! Will try and fit in a viewing and if its worthy, I'll revisit the list later in the month and revise it.....

.....its just finding the time to squeeze not just one but two more films in......and I've got a couple of films from a very we known horror franchise to re-watch ahead of Friday's latest cinematic instalment which is up for review......

Cheers Mark, some goodens in there.

I mentioned briefly Niamh Algar in the other movie thread. She's someone very much on my radar these days, I think she's great. Not seen Censor yet, but looking forward to it.

I have actually just spotted yesterday in fact that it can be watched for free on one of Amazon's video channels, if you take the 7 day trial.

And on a slightly related note has anyone picked up Arrow's glorious Shawscope boxset?

It looks amazing but I'm a little put off by the pricepoint - if Eureka can give us 8 Joseph Kuo classics for less than half the price of this set, I'm a little bit grumpy about it all.......I know its sold out already but just wondered if anyone had grabbed it......

Boom, and competitions live for 6/10 of these titles! Links are in Mark's article.

Double Boom, just added a competition for Mark's number 1 pick: Limited Edition Blu-ray of Censor from Second Sight.

May I please throw Leos Carax's latest film, Annette, into the mix?

Came out this week on blu ray and, whilst it's safe to say it's a love/hate kind of affair, I think it's worth mentioning. At the very least, it's a truly unique, utterly bizarre viewing experience. My favourite film from last year, bar none...

Last edited:
And on a slightly related note has anyone picked up Arrow's glorious Shawscope boxset?

It looks amazing but I'm a little put off by the pricepoint - if Eureka can give us 8 Joseph Kuo classics for less than half the price of this set, I'm a little bit grumpy about it all.......I know its sold out already but just wondered if anyone had grabbed it......
Yep and it is a nice set, I've yet to watch any of it yet as I have loads of new stuff to get through. I agree the price point is too high, but I like the fact that Arrow have released these films plus I invoked the **** it, it's Christmas rule :D

On the downside this rule has now locked me in to having to buy Volume Two, (Volume Three? 😦, Volume Four??! 😧)

Well played Arrow 🥵, Well played!! 😡🤬😀😢

Last edited:
Yep and it is a nice set, I've yet to watch any of it yet as I have loads of new stuff to get through. I agree the price point is too high, but I like the fact that Arrow have released these films plus I invoked the **** it, it's Christmas rule :D

On the downside this rule has now locked me in to having to buy Volume Two, (Volume Three? 😦, Volume Four??! 😧)

Well played Arrow 🥵, Well played!! 😡🤬😀😢
Thanks squire. Its almost like there's too much good, old-fashioned kung fu releases at the moment - I still haven't finished the Cinematic Vengeance set and as a result I haven't picked up a load of the 88 Films Jackie Chan releases either.......

Curse my privileged white man first world problems!!!!!

Double Boom, just added a competition for Mark's number 1 pick: Limited Edition Blu-ray of Censor from Second Sight.

And Shock too!! Competition added.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom