1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best £400 flatscreen

Discussion in 'TVs' started by phenom2003, Oct 18, 2003.

1. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of getting the JVC AV28T25, but should I pay more and get a R25 , I know these are now pretty old models but the price, specs and reviews are all good, are there any other good ones out there, prefrebly with 2 RGB scarts, but must be a flat screen.

Rich

2. Skwarkenklux

Skwarkenklux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was looking at the same set but have been tempted by the Panasonic TX28PS5, new model and compares with the JVC R25, except offers Dolby Digital 5.1 over the JVC's Pro-logic. Also includes centre and rear speakers in the package!

3. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But theres a £150 difference between the ps5 and the t25, I'm on a tight budget and £400 is really pushing it, I'm only 15 and this money is coming from a rubbishly paid part-time job (£60/m).

Rich

4. Skwarkenklux

Skwarkenklux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quick search over at Pricerunner, and there isn't a lot in it between the Panny and the JVC after delivery.

28R25 = £420
    28PS5 = £440

Of course the 28T25 is there for £393, but save up one extra month and you could have one...

5. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both at digitaldirectuk

R25 - £404
    T25 - £355

both include delivery. I will be getting a 6.1 system June/July next year (when I have a bit of money), so the sound advantage of the R25 is not really worth £50 for me

Rich

6. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good prices for both these sets - however, I think the differences between the two go beyond sound. The R25 has two RGB Scarts, which almost justifies the extra cost to me by itself, and according to the reviews I've seen (T25 here and here, R25 here and here), there appear to be differences in picture quality. I know it's important not to be overly concerned with the 'opinions' expressed in magazine reviews, but I'm sure there must be some reasoning behind it.

Incidentally, I can't find the PS5 on Pricerunner for as little as £440 excluding delivery, let alone including...

7. Blighty_Boy

Blighty_Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. whitcat

whitcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking for two RGB scarts and thought the JVC R25 was a lower cost contender for me.

Although the two reviews seem to suggest two RGB scarts, www.jvc.co.uk says it doesn't (in both the instruction manual and a comparison chart I downloaded)

9. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looks like it is only one RGB then. I had thought it slightly suspicious that the 32" version only has one, even though it's otherwise more fully-featured, offering a tilt correction control.

Think I'll go back to the Sony 28LS60 at Robert Whyte despite being graded, as it appears to be the only dual-RGB option for under £400. Would still be interested in learning whether there are any other differences between the T25 and R25 though, as the former is the cheapest 28" flatscreen I've come across that isn't made by Bush, Sharp, Samsung, Thomson etc.

10. Blighty_Boy

Blighty_Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are thomson, samsung and sharp in the same category as Bush (I mean mega cheapo not just budget) ??

11. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    No all a step up from Bush IMO.

12. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm even more confused now - JVC's spec sheet (which appears to have been designed with maximum unreadability in mind) states that the R25 only has one RGB, but the T25 has two, which seems highly improbable but does suggest that JVC might've got the two mixed up.

I know there are quite a few R25 owners on this forum, can any of you let us know how many RGB Scarts your TV has?

13. Skwarkenklux

Skwarkenklux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noticed it to - the whole thing is a mess. It also reckons the R25 has Dolby Digital rather than Pro-Logic, which is complete rubbish!

I think some office junior cocked-up!