• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bespoke Sideboard/AV Unit

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
Hi all, I have purchased a motorised tv lift and now require a bespoke unit made. It would be something 1m in length, 25cm in depth and around 880cm in height.

I dont need anything fancy and no drawers etc, just basically a nice shell with a couple of doors at either side, pine would be fine as I dont want anything expensive.

Anyone know where the best place to go would be, and has anyone got a unit made up before ?

dave760

mdf on its edge would hold anything you put on it m8 if constructed right most stuff today bespoke or not is chipboard ,foil wrapped you could buy a kitchen from mfi, kelly,magnet, chipboard you could buy a bedroom unit custom made from hammonds still chipboard if you were local to me id make you what ever you wanted ive a thread further down with a pic that is oak veneered mdf you can,t really tell the difference apart from the £s you saved

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
mdf on its edge would hold anything you put on it m8 if constructed right most stuff today bespoke or not is chipboard ,foil wrapped you could buy a kitchen from mfi, kelly,magnet, chipboard you could buy a bedroom unit custom made from hammonds still chipboard if you were local to me id make you what ever you wanted ive a thread further down with a pic that is oak veneered mdf you can,t really tell the difference apart from the £s you saved

That thread ? http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-diy/1273403-false-chimney-pj-install-questions.html

Looks pretty good and your right, you cant tell.

Even though your not close, are you able to build, flatpack and then send ?

dave760

yes m8 if you arrange pickup no prob there got to be some local joinery shop that will make it for you thou, would save you £s and could see development of it first hand i make custom made bedroom ,living room furniture for a living and my main thing is keeping the client informed through out the build ,so we both happy

AndyCob

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
With PMF unable to make the unit I require, is there any company around that is able to that will not charge through the nose ?

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
This is my design, which I apologise for the crudeness of....

cabinetl.jpg

This is roughly how I hope it would turn out to be but with there being a lid when the tv comes out so that it closes as the tv goes back in the cabinet when not in use...

92316576.jpg

AndyCob

Attachments

• Stand complex.jpg
    Stand complex.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 687
Last edited:

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
I'm still on the lookout for a cabinet maker, I tried one local to me and the fool wanted £1000 and that was for veneered MDF.

I've yet to get a reply from my question 'Is that 24ct gold veneer' ?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom