Berty's livingroom setup

Bertychewster

I've been reading this members gallery for years and often thought " yeah once I get my room done I'm going to post on here and share my efforts", that time has come and now I don't know what to say....
here goes.

My wish for my room was for it to still look like and be a functional living room, but try my best to get a decent quality home cinema setup in there without being overwhelming, but at the same time not compromising the kit.

I had a decent start already with a 42" Kuro, Panasonic BD55 and my trusty old Denon amp and Mission 752f's. This upgrade was all about getting a big screen and my first PJ.

I re wallpapered the room with a dove paper and the ceiling has a homebase ultra flat matt paint. Not too dark but way darker than it was before. I got some dim out blinds front and back and a set of black out curtains if ever needed.

I decided I would like to get a in ceiling screen early on but never realized that would cut my options of manufacturers and options as much as it did.I went through dozens of changes of heart before eventually choosing. I settled on a Beamax In-ceiling projection screen 220x128 1.2 gain in the end, not the cheapest option but have to say I'm pretty happy with it (although it does really smell very chemical), I'm hoping that it wears of after a while, saying that i'm on around 50 hours and it's not getting much better so far, on the bright side it's cheaper than drinking:smashin:

First I had to lift part of my bedroom floor above and check there wasn't anything in the way. Cut the hole which was uber messy. Attach the 4 brackets for the screen and attach the bolts etc. This would be a lot easier if Beamax supplied you with a template of some sort.

I wired a RF receiver to the screen (easy) and then the extender to a plug in the bedroom above. I forgot to take pics, I think the amount of plaster I had inhaled had an effect on me:)

Attachments

• IMG_4538.jpg
    IMG_4538.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 666
  • IMG_4540.jpg
    IMG_4540.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_4541.jpg
    IMG_4541.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG_4542.jpg
    IMG_4542.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_4543.jpg
    IMG_4543.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 796
  • IMG_4548.jpg
    IMG_4548.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_4550.jpg
    IMG_4550.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_4552.jpg
    IMG_4552.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:

Bertychewster

Next up was fitting the screen to the bolts I had installed. These screens are pretty heavy and I had to abandon my first attempt as Mrs Chewster was having a wobbly arms moment and I thought I'd wait for the next unsuspecting visitor. Sure enough next day it was in place.

Really chuffed with the end result:smashin:

Attachments

• IMG_4553.jpg
    IMG_4553.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:

Bertychewster

Next up was running HDMI under the floor, up between the ceiling and installing my shiny white JVC 350.

Last edited:

Bertychewster

These pics have come out a bit yellow but look okay for the dark PJ snaps.

50 hours on the clock and i've got to say i'm still pinching myself that it has all worked out so well, i'm no DIY expert by any means.

Oh I almost forgot to thank everyone who has given me advice whether it be on screens, PJ's, HMDI switches or anything else. Without the help and support from AV Forums I would have never attempted installing a setup like this.

Attachments

• IMG_4583.jpg
    IMG_4583.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 1,038
  • IMG_4587.jpg
    IMG_4587.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,040
  • IMG_4590.jpg
    IMG_4590.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 1,126
  • IMG_4591.jpg
    IMG_4591.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,135
  • IMG_4594.jpg
    IMG_4594.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 996
  • IMG_4597.jpg
    IMG_4597.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,014
  • IMG_4598.jpg
    IMG_4598.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 928
  • IMG_4601.jpg
    IMG_4601.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 995
Last edited:

chienmetallique

Berty,

Great work!

These screenshots are the 1st proper example, where room reflection can be seen to impact the 2:35 Black Bars. Notice the difference between pics 5 (POTC) & 7 (Wall-E).

This is the most convincing post I've seen to justify room treatment as my next upgrade.

Cheers for sharing:thumbsup:

Carl

alz2605

Nice job mate! Your room looks great. I know what you mean about the smell of a new screen. Its really unpleasant and takes a good few weeks to go. The things we have to put up with for the love of our hobby!

Bertychewster

Ran some Cat5 from my router under the floor and up behind the TV stand. Next job is a HTPC. I bought a Seagate 1.5tb ext hard drive and so far have around 120 films...only about 200 more to rip. I'm thinking a Asrock Ion330 or maybe the new popcorn.

Bertychewster

Its really unpleasant and takes a good few weeks to go. The things we have to put up with for the love of our hobby!

It's getting better alz :) Watched the Incredible Hulk last night on Blu-ray and it was only him turning green during the movie.

Bertychewster

thanks for the kind comments guys. Here some more brighter snaps( bit too bright). I'll get it right yet.

Attachments

• DSCF0705.jpg
    DSCF0705.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 549
  • DSCF0717.jpg
    DSCF0717.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 576
  • DSCF0719.jpg
    DSCF0719.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 577
  • DSCF0721.jpg
    DSCF0721.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 799

deefadog

Mate that's one great install! That living room looks so comfy like it should :smashin:

One thing i missed is the surround and bottom of the screen, is that a kit or was it something you made? as the stealth install is amazing! - I reckon i can convince the misses now :) to bring the PJ up stairs top the living room!

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Berty,

Great work!

These screenshots are the 1st proper example, where room reflection can be seen to impact the 2:35 Black Bars. Notice the difference between pics 5 (POTC) & 7 (Wall-E).

This is the most convincing post I've seen to justify room treatment as my next upgrade.

Cheers for sharing:thumbsup:

Carl

The POTC scene is brighter so the black bars look more grey than with a darker scene.

Nice setup and excellent job with the screen.:smashin:

What PJ is it? It looks like a JVC?

I have always wanted those speakers as rears.

Bertychewster

The POTC scene is brighter so the black bars look more grey than with a darker scene.

Nice setup and excellent job with the screen.:smashin:

What PJ is it? It looks like a JVC?

I have always wanted those speakers as rears.

The PJ is a JVC DLA-350. Got to say I'm really happy with it. I swithered between this model and the Panasonic PT-AE3000 for quite a while. I wasn't sure I'd get the benefit of the better contrast due to my room not being a batcave, but I've got to say it's worked out really well.

The rears (B&W DS6) I've had for about 8-9 years, got them not long before the were discontinued. I had winced at the price I paid back then, but they have been a great buy. The only problem with them being cream is the grilles are needing a good scrub, I'm wondering if getting them dry cleaned might be the way to go?

deefadog

deefadog I might be picking you up wrong, but do you mean this Beamax | In-ceiling projection screen 220x128 16:9 . If so it's an all in one unit that uses just 4 bolts. Pretty easy to fix, but a bit messy.

No your correct :thumbsup: I just can't read :rotfl:

How many notes did the screen set you back, if you don't mind me asking :smashin:

chienmetallique

You're right!

My point was, this is a good example of why room reflections make a difference. Or is this light leakage?

Given the room conditions Berty has done an excellent job:smashin:

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I have biege (peanut colour) on three sides with a dark red on the other. I don't have any problems with light and I even have framed glass front posters on the walls. I did want to have the ceiling around the screen black plus more walls red but was told "not happening" :D

Light leakage usually happens in the corners of the picture.

Bertychewster

I was watching Mist(yaaawn!) last night (mrs choice) and while my mind was wandering from the movie I noted that i just might be getting as much light reflection from the light beige carpet as from the light ceiling. I might try experimenting with some dark coverings to see how much perceived difference it makes.

chienmetallique

Berty,

If you haven't seen it already, may I refer you to Albriscoe's thread. Specifically his Ikea black rugs. I'm not sure how they would go in your rather stylish gaff, however for not alot of money you could at least try it out.

Carl

Bertychewster

Albriscoe's thread is LEGENDARY :D
The research/work he's done is unbelievable. Your right though, even though I can't get anywhere close to the light control he's got, there is some food for thought.

Bertychewster

:rolleyes: Hmm i'll need to check with the mrs for that info. It's a bugger to hang, that's all i know:suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom