Beresford TC-7220; My experience.

Bracken53

Novice Member
I’ve been using the Beresford TC-7220 for quite a while now and so I thought I’d post my findings and thoughts for others to glean.

Build-quality and Appearance:

It’s essentially a metal box with four buttons on the front and a total of 16 binding posts on the back. (4x 2 for two amps and 4 x 2 for 2 two sets of speakers)

The metal used appears to be decent, thick sheet metal. The box is only small but feels weighty enough for its size. (250mm x 110mm x 40mm)

The Buttons are mock-metal plastic but fairly substantial. To me they are a bit retro looking but functional nonetheless. The action of the buttons is both sure and definite, with a reassuring “clunk” noise and feel when depressing them. The buttons are physically connecting to the internals and when pushing a button it’s all very confidence inspiring….You don’t ever want your beloved speakers getting feeds from two amps at the same time!

Binding posts are gold-plated and also take 4mm Banana plugs (Almost a must..I’ll get to this in a bit)

Installing:

There are only two (Minor-ish) issues that I have found with the TC-7220, and they are..

1) Binding posts are sooo close together that I cannot imagine using this device without taking the Banana plug option. In other words….Good luck trying to screw bare speaker-wire into neighbouring posts..There’s almost zero room to manoeuvre (Unless you have hands the size of a toddler)

2) As the box is fairly small it can create issues in terms of keeping the unit planted on all it’s little rubber feet. You see once you’ve connected all those potentially thick speakers cables you can be left with a springy little black box that doesn’t want to stay grounded…..It’s nowhere near as bad as say the Antimode 8033 for this as the TC-7220 is a fair bit bigger and heavier but you get the gist.

In the TC-7220’s defence these 2 issues are little more than by-products of its very convenient size, enough said I think. I am using Banana plugs so no bother there and a bit of sensible cable-management/placement soon has the little fella stable and planted.

Here’s the beast, perched on top of my AVR…At least it gives you a sense of its size.

Ease of use:

Once installed it’s just a little black box with four buttons, not sure what else to say really? If you want amp A, push the “Amp A” button and so on..

The unit is capable of crossing-over two amps and two sets of speakers…I’m only using it for two-amps to share one set of speakers (See my sig).

In a nutshell it’s very simple to use, so much so I can relax knowing anyone in the household can work it. It’s pretty much fool-proof is what I’m saying.

Sound Quality with the TC-7220 in the Signal-Path:

I feel I cannot bang-on about this too much, even though it’s potentially one of the most important factors; I’ll explain why..

I’m currently using Fisual Super Pearl 2.5mm speaker-cable and in all honesty I personally couldn’t tell the difference using this against some Chord Rumour I was using before on very short lengths. I’ll say no more except I do not, under any circumstances what to get embroiled in an imbroglio on the contentious subject that is speaker-cable.

My only point being that if I cannot distinguish an audible difference on speaker-cable mentioned above then I consider myself wholly unqualified to critique the TC-7220 on this factor.

So for what little it’s worth, I am unable to detect any drop in SQ using the TC-7220….Other’s mileage may vary.

Benefits in my case: (Over and above using the pre-outs from my AVR to my Stereo Amp)

In short this little box has meant I can stop worrying about a number of factors in my particular set-up without any notable drop in SQ…For me anyway.

1) I wanted to be able to use my sub with both amps
2) I don't want the Stereo-amp working overtime
3) It makes the harmony one-button activity thing a lot easier.
4) No risk of playing Stereo amp too loud from volume control being left at 12 O’Clock

Summary:

The Beresford TC-7220 is a nice, simple, well made box that does a job very well, IMHO. I think it’s priced reasonably too.

I hope this basic run-down on my findings helps anyone out there wanting to integrate their kit for a HT/Hifi fusion.

For a real review, check this one out. This review also talks at some length about SQ, which of course is important.

Thanks for reading
Darren
I’ve been using the Beresford TC-7220 for quite a while now and so I thought I’d post my findings and thoughts for others to glean.

It’s essentially a metal box with four buttons on the front and a total of 16 binding posts on the back. (4x 2 for two amps and 4 x 2 for 2 two sets of speakers)

The metal used appears to be decent, thick sheet metal. The box is only small but feels weighty enough for its size. (250mm x 110mm x 40mm)

The Buttons are mock-metal plastic but fairly substantial. To me they are a bit retro looking but functional nonetheless. The action of the buttons is both sure and definite, with a reassuring “clunk” noise and feel when depressing them. The buttons are physically connecting to the internals and when pushing a button it’s all very confidence inspiring….You don’t ever want your beloved speakers getting feeds from two amps at the same time!

Binding posts are gold-plated and also take 4mm Banana plugs (Almost a must..I’ll get to this in a bit)

Installing:

There are only two (Minor-ish) issues that I have found with the TC-7220, and they are..

1) Binding posts are sooo close together that I cannot imagine using this device without taking the Banana plug option. In other words….Good luck trying to screw bare speaker-wire into neighbouring posts..There’s almost zero room to manoeuvre (Unless you have hands the size of a toddler)

2) As the box is fairly small it can create issues in terms of keeping the unit planted on all it’s little rubber feet. You see once you’ve connected all those potentially thick speakers cables you can be left with a springy little black box that doesn’t want to stay grounded…..It’s nowhere near as bad as say the Antimode 8033 for this as the TC-7220 is a fair bit bigger and heavier but you get the gist.

In the TC-7220’s defence these 2 issues are little more than by-products of its very convenient size, enough said I think. I am using Banana plugs so no bother there and a bit of sensible cable-management/placement soon has the little fella stable and planted.

Here’s the beast, perched on top of my AVR…At least it gives you a sense of its size.

Ease of use:

Once installed it’s just a little black box with four buttons, not sure what else to say really? If you want amp A, push the “Amp A” button and so on..

The unit is capable of crossing-over two amps and two sets of speakers…I’m only using it for two-amps to share one set of speakers (See my sig).

In a nutshell it’s very simple to use, so much so I can relax knowing anyone in the household can work it. It’s pretty much fool-proof is what I’m saying.

I feel I cannot bang-on about this too much, even though it’s potentially one of the most important factors; I’ll explain why..

I’m currently using Fisual Super Pearl 2.5mm speaker-cable and in all honesty I personally couldn’t tell the difference using this against some Chord Rumour I was using before on very short lengths. I’ll say no more except I do not, under any circumstances what to get embroiled in an imbroglio on the contentious subject that is speaker-cable.

My only point being that if I cannot distinguish an audible difference on speaker-cable mentioned above then I consider myself wholly unqualified to critique the TC-7220 on this factor.

So for what little it’s worth, I am unable to detect any drop in SQ using the TC-7220….Other’s mileage may vary.

Benefits in my case: (Over and above using the pre-outs from my AVR to my Stereo Amp)

In short this little box has meant I can stop worrying about a number of factors in my particular set-up without any notable drop in SQ…For me anyway.

4) No risk of playing Stereo amp too loud from volume control being left at 12 O’Clock

Summary:

The Beresford TC-7220 is a nice, simple, well made box that does a job very well, IMHO. I think it’s priced reasonably too.

I hope this basic run-down on my findings helps anyone out there wanting to integrate their kit for a HT/Hifi fusion.

For a real review, check this one out. This review also talks at some length about SQ, which of course is important.

Thanks for reading
Darren

Bracken53

Novice Member

Installing:

Ease of use:

Summary:

Thanks for reading
Darren
Hi - googled for a review of the Beresford 7220 and this came up in the results. Just to say thanks for a very thorough review. I took some old kit (amp and CD player) down from the attic to hook up to a pair of vintage Keesonic speakers which were also unused. To my ears the sound quality of the old kit surpassed my more modern kit so I'm enjoying the listening experience. But my old kit doesn't have a tuner or a USB for streaming Spotify for which my little Denon unit does the business. The Beresford will allow me to enjoy the best of both without the hassle of changing the speaker plugs. Strange how in the speaker world newer doesn't necessarily mean better unless you spend '000s perhaps. Thanks again.

I see from the Beresford site the 7220 is now into a Mark II version though it looks much the same.

keelby1

A simple question-cant find anywhere how to connect my bi wired speaker cables to my Beresford

What does speaker one and speaker 2 and top and bottom mean. Surely I have to connect two positives and two negatives for a left speaker and right speaker

The instruction download is a simple diragram of the rear on the website

Kructuan

Novice Member
I thought the same at first with regards to connecting the neutrik cable but that is the correct way of doing so.

I used the pdf below to connect Neutrik cable to the 7220 and is the same for all subs, regardless of make, to be done in this way (as i'm led to believe)

Page 5, fig 3

BK XLS200.

My stereo amp is connected to the same bindings on the 7220 using banana plugs.

I did try to paste a diagram into this post to show but don't know how to and all attempts were futile- sorry
I think we're nearly there.....Your diagram looks great, sadly it just confuses me a bit:blush:

Point number 5; In addition to running speaker cable ( banana plugs) for L&R channels from the Quad to TC-7220, then run another speaker cable, just one channel, left or right, doesn't matter from the TC-7220 to one of your sub's high-level connections.
So for the additional speaker cable you will need to go bare-wire as the binding post will already have a banana plug in it from the amp>TC-7220>speaker.

It all sounds confusing, and this was how I felt, however, once you have the Beresford and cables in front of you it will all become much clearer....Remember, you're only doing it this way because it means the Beresford acts as a safety measure so you don't run two amp signals into your sub.

One thing I still don't get, is why in your diagram you have more than one channel going to your sub…you only need one.

Also, as far as the Beresford is concerned, you are only connecting to your sub via the high-level once…and that's for the Quad….the AVR is direct to the sub via a RCA>RCA sub-cable. Or else you'll loose your AVR's bass-management

I may well have some of this wrong, it's hard to explain in the written form, PM me if you want and we exchange numbers and have a chat…I don't mind.

Hi chaps - I'm hoping that either of you might be able to help me out with a thread I've posted elsewhere which has gone on to the subject of the TC-7220. If you can, please can you see the final part of my original post below and let me know your thoughts. Basically I need to know if it's really ok to have the Neutrik Speakon connection of an REL or BK sub connected to the speaker output of the TC-7220. I want to have my Yamaha AVR and Rotel pre and power amp as my two amp choices.

How do I switch between 2 pre amps with 1 power amp??

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Basically I need to know if it's really ok to have the Neutrik Speakon connection of an REL or BK sub connected to the speaker output of the TC-7220. I want to have my Yamaha AVR and Rotel pre and power amp as my two amp choices.
This thread has officially been Lazarus'ed.:D

I have long since sold my 7220 but to answer your question, Yes its is 'really' OK.
Had my sub (BK XLS200) connected in that way for a few years without any issues.

Kructuan

Novice Member
I, conversely haven't used my 7220 in years and never before with a sub. Good to hear it can fit in my system that way.

Till next time

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom