Beresford TC-7220; My experience.

Dazzor

I'm wondering how this would work with a bi-amp setup, would I need 2?
I've been down this road a little as I originally wanted to retain the bi-amping from my AVR whilst adding a standard connection from my Roksan stereo amp....it's not possible with just one TC-7220. In end I abandoned this, I wasn't too fussed as I only ever bi-amped from my AVR to improve SQ for music. By adding a true music amp I gained so much more than my AVR could ever achieve.:smashin:

Not sure how the internals would have to work but I came to the conclusion that in my situtation I needed the Beresford TC-7220 to have at least 20 binding posts (16 as standard) if I wanted to bi-amp from my AVR and also have a standard config from my Stereo amp...All sharing my front-2

What exactly do you want to do?

Nash__

Hiya, exactly I think as you wanted to do. I currently have my fronts bi-amped but would also like to use the fronts for stereo music via my 2ch amp but by the sound of things, it would be far better to remove the bi-amping and introduce the switch so i can do both.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Dazzor

Hiya, exactly I think as you wanted to do. I currently have my fronts bi-amped but would also like to use the fronts for stereo music via my 2ch amp but by the sound of things, it would be far better to remove the bi-amping and introduce the switch so i can do both.

Thanks for the feedback :)
No worries, glad to help.

FWIW, I think you're better off forgetting bi-amping from your AVR if you're adding a stereo amp anyway. I wager you won't even notice the difference when it comes to HT duites.

Also, Bi-amping from AVR's with one power supply is not like real bi-amping...IMO anyway;)

Enjoy and let us know how you get on:smashin:

Darren

windhoek

Hi Dazzor, I noticed that your stereo amp is a Roksan Caspian, that looks like a very good amp indeed. Do you think stereo sound via the Rocksan/ Beresford is significantly better than stereo sound via the Z7?

I've got a Yamaha RX-V3800 and Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 speakers and wonder how much I'll need to spend on a stereo amp to get a significant sound improvement.

EDIT: I also wanted to ask if you use a turntable and if yes, how does the phono stage in the Roksan compare to the one in the Z7? I've only ever used the phono stage in my Yamaha, so have no idea if it's good or not, relatively speaking that is.

Last edited:

Dazzor

Hi Dazzor, I noticed that your stereo amp is a Roksan Caspian, that looks like a very good amp indeed. Do you think stereo sound via the Rocksan/ Beresford is significantly better than stereo sound via the Z7?

I've got a Yamaha RX-V3800 and Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 speakers and wonder how much I'll need to spend on a stereo amp to get a significant sound improvement.

EDIT: I also wanted to ask if you use a turntable and if yes, how does the phono stage in the Roksan compare to the one in the Z7? I've only ever used the phono stage in my Yamaha, so have no idea if it's good or not, relatively speaking that is.
Hi windhoek,

Not sure I can say with any authority what sort stereo amp you personally will require in order to surpass your Yamaha AVR.....It's all very subjective you see.

Sadly I don't use a TT and the Caspian doesn't have a phono-stage anyway (Not as standard anyway...This is an extra from Roksan)

What's your budget for a stereo amp?

Rgds
D

windhoek

I think my budget will probably be about £500 - although I said that about my recent turntable upgrade and promptly spent £850!

Dazzor

I think my budget will probably be about £500 - although I said that about my recent turntable upgrade and promptly spent £850!
That's not a bad budget..before it creeps up;)

What are your thoughts on buying used?

windhoek

I'm quite open to the idea D. Amps have no moving parts, so that a plus and besides, the best stereo hifi I've ever heard by a long, long way is powered by a 1980s Meridian amp - oh, if only I could pick up one of those! I guess I'd like to get an amp with the best bang for buck.

EDIT: I just realised that you never quite answered the first of my questions above i.e. do you think stereo sound via the Rocksan/ Beresford is significantly better than stereo sound via the Z7? Did adding a stereo amp and Beresford make you go WOW!

Last edited:

Dazzor

I'm quite open to the idea D. Amps have no moving parts, so that a plus and besides, the best stereo hifi I've ever heard by a long, long way is powered by a 1980s Meridian amp - oh, if only I could pick up one of those! I guess I'd like to get an amp with the best bang for buck.
Good man, IMO, buying decent used gear can a very shrewd move;)

There's loads of decent amps out there, only thing is you may have to take a punt as demoing can be nigh-on impossible....having said that I listened to the Caspian in the sellers home before buying. Clearly this was not ideal as it was on the end of his system in his living room...But it was better than nothing and I ended up with an amp that costs £1450 new for £600.

Now before I bang-on too much about buying used, perhaps I should point you towards an amp that I'm currently drooling over...

XTZ's A-100 D3....Yours for £625 new!

Yes, I'm tempted buy this over my Caspian. Apparently, Audio Sanctum will ship you a demo unit to play with for 2 weeks if you let them swipe 50% of the value on your card. If you like it they send out a new one and take back the demo unit and cough-up the remaining money. If you don't like it you simply £40 for the courier costs...Not bad when you get to play with it for 2 weeks, IMO:smashin:

Here, check out this wigwam review.

Looks like this beauty is punching well above it price-bracket and I for one find this totally plausible as I love my XTZ speakers and think they too are up there with speakers costing a lot more.

windhoek

Thanks D, that's a great trial policy, return postage is fair enough. I had difficulty reading the review as I'm on my netbook just now, but I'll look at it tomorrow. A quick glance at it however, suggests the reviewer loved it. Did you notice my question in the edit from my previous post? I suppose I'd only want to do the stereo amp/ Beresford route if I was confident it would make a significant difference; £500 is a significant sum of money to me.

Dazzor

Thanks D, that's a great trial policy, return postage is fair enough. I had difficulty reading the review as I'm on my netbook just now, but I'll look at it tomorrow. A quick glance at it however, suggests the reviewer loved it. Did you notice my question in the edit from my previous post? I suppose I'd only want to do the stereo amp/ Beresford route if I was confident it would make a significant difference; £500 is a significant sum of money to me.
Apologies, I totally missed this vital question:facepalm:

Well for me the Roksan is ostensibly better in terms of general SQ....But is it night and day...IMO no. To me the SQ is just fuller and more controlled, if that makes sense? The sound from the Caspian with music is less fatiguing yet at the same time the sound can, depending on the type of music I'm playing be more muscular, for want of a better term.

If I really had to quantify the improvement in percentage terms I'd say, if pushed is about 30% better.....This is of course nothing more than my personal opinion.

Whereabouts are you based? I'd happily let you listen to my Z7 and then my Caspian with the same CD. (I've got some long IC's still connected at the AVR end;))

Hope this helps
Darren

windhoek

That's a great offer D, I'd be delighted to take up your offer; I live in Glasgow. I think an estimated 30% increase in SQ is quite substantial because the Z7 is (or was) Yamaha's Reference AVR (as mine was, briefly), albeit, the Rocksan is a £1500+ amp, so that's likely to be a damn fine amp! I guess the only thing I need to know now is does your stereo set up have an increased toe-tap factor than the Z7?

I ask because I'm trying work on the principle that music is something to be enjoyed, not necessarily analysed for precision, detail and nuance etc: if my toes are tapping, then I'm enjoying the music. It's an idea that resonates with Gestalt's theory that 'the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts'. On this premise, precision, detail and nuance etc are simply a means to an end i.e. enjoying the music. So when I seek an improvement in SQ, I want the improvements in precision, detail and nuance etc to combine to make the experience of listening to the music more enjoyable - toe-tappingly enjoyable to be precise!

Mmmmm, I think I went off on a tangent there. In short, does the Beresford/ amp make your toes tap more than the Z7 did?

Dazzor

That's a great offer D, I'd be delighted to take up your offer; I live in Glasgow. I think an estimated 30% increase in SQ is quite substantial because the Z7 is (or was) Yamaha's Reference AVR (as mine was, briefly), albeit, the Rocksan is a £1500+ amp, so that's likely to be a damn fine amp! I guess the only thing I need to know now is does your stereo set up have an increased toe-tap factor than the Z7?

I ask because I'm trying work on the principle that music is something to be enjoyed, not necessarily analysed for precision, detail and nuance etc: if my toes are tapping, then I'm enjoying the music. It's an idea that resonates with Gestalt's theory that 'the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts'. On this premise, precision, detail and nuance etc are simply a means to an end i.e. enjoying the music. So when I seek an improvement in SQ, I want the improvements in precision, detail and nuance etc to combine to make the experience of listening to the music more enjoyable - toe-tappingly enjoyable to be precise!

Mmmmm, I think I went off on a tangent there. In short, does the Beresford/ amp make your toes tap more than the Z7 did?
In a nutshell, yes;)

I know what you mean about musicality, PRaT and all that jazz:smashin:

Bottom line for you I think is be prepared to do some legwork and find a second-hand stereo amp that's priced keenly enough for you to be able to sell it on for little if any loss if you're underwhelmed.....Or be prepared to blow £40 and give the XTZ a go. I know I've not heard it but I firmly suspect that if this amp does not sufficiently surpass your expectations beyond your AVR then perhaps this upgrade avenue is not for you.

In short, you won't know til you try.

Ps, I'm possibly as far away from you as it gets without the use of boats or planes:( (Hertfordshire boarders, near north London)

windhoek

Cheers D, that's reassuring to know. My mate's got an old Sherwood amp lying around which cost £20 2nd-hand, so I'll borrow that to see if I can hear a difference. One way or another, I'll give it a go and get a decent amp and if it doesn't work out, I'll sell it and go back to my AVR, but I'm now confident I won't need to do that.

windhoek

I just ordered a Beresford TC-7220. I asked Stan beforehand whether the 200W max power capacity is per channel and he said it was.

To be precise, Stan said "yes it is per channel. The switches and soldering is rated per contact point in the individual signal path".

Dazzor

I just ordered a Beresford TC-7220. I asked Stan beforehand whether the 200W max power capacity is per channel and he said it was.

To be precise, Stan said "yes it is per channel. The switches and soldering is rated per contact point in the individual signal path".
Top man for getting this 100% confirmed:smashin:

200WPC should cater for most AVR/stereo amp owners I would of thought;)

windhoek

Well I must say, the Beresford is a terrific piece of equipment. I connected it to my AVR, stereo amp and front speakers and can't notice any deterioration in sound quality. I listened to Kraftwerk, Heaven 17, Kate Bush and Sade and they all sound great! I definitely recommend it for anyone who wants to add a stereo amp to their AV set up in order to improve music playback.

What's more, the Berseford has the additional advantage of being compatible with any stereo amp and not one with a HT Bypass as is the case with the pre-out method.

I should point out however, that in the last few weeks, I've changed my turntable, mounted it on the wall and added a stereo amp, so it would be inappropriate to denounce the Beresford for any deterioration in sound quality (if there was any) because there were a few factors at work contributing to a change in my sound quality.

Last edited:

AV Monkey

Where can i buy one of these please?

AV Monkey

Thanks for link.
I take it no one has had any delivery problems from them? And can i ask what people think of this set up please. I have a squeezebox connected to my Denon 2310. Cant get the sound i really want since i replaced the cambridge audio 640R AVR even with constant tinkering. If i connected it to a stereo amp connected to the switch to the front 2 speakers what do you think i should be looking at amp wise to play my FLAC files from the SB.

a8ch

Novice Member
Thanks for link.
I take it no one has had any delivery problems from them? And can i ask what people think of this set up please. I have a squeezebox connected to my Denon 2310. Cant get the sound i really want since i replaced the cambridge audio 640R AVR even with constant tinkering. If i connected it to a stereo amp connected to the switch to the front 2 speakers what do you think i should be looking at amp wise to play my FLAC files from the SB.
I might be missing something here, but all you need to do is take the `monitoring' feed usually via CD Recorder/Tape stereo phono out's from your avr to an input of a stereo amp! just like adding any other source component i.e. tuner, CDP etc. The stereo amp would then work totally independant until you integrated it into your surround system by selecting the input the avr is connected to.

windhoek

As far as delivery goes, it was next day delivery for me, so top marks there. I think you're asking a question when you say "I have a squeezebox connected to my Denon 2310. Cant get the sound i really want since i replaced the cambridge audio 640R AVR even with constant tinkering. If i connected it to a stereo amp connected to the switch to the front 2 speakers what do you think i should be looking at amp wise to play my FLAC files from the SB", but I'm not sure what it is. Are you asking for a recommendation for a stereo amp?

AV Monkey

Sorry i did write that post in a rather pants way. I Guess i was asking.
1) If i was understanding how the switch would be used.
2) Recomendations for a stereo amp.
Also could i just connect a stereo amp with phono leads from AVR outputs as mentioned?

Dazzor

Sorry i did write that post in a rather pants way. I Guess i was asking.
1) If i was understanding how the switch would be used.
2) Recomendations for a stereo amp.
Also could i just connect a stereo amp with phono leads from AVR outputs as mentioned?
I take it the 2310 has front L&R pre-outs? If so you can of course use these into a stereo amp instead of using something like the TC-7220.

As I've said before, one of the reasons I opted for the Beresford switch was because I didn't want my stereo amp working overtime....and using it for HT duties (as a power effectively) would certainly of meant just that in my situation...Then of course there's the business of whether or not said stereo amp has a HT bypass function or not....

Stereo amps....what's your budget? And also, what's your thoughts on buying used?

AV Monkey

Sounds like the beresford offers the best set and leave solution without the HT being effected. I was thinkng buying a clearance amp from richersounds?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett