Beresford Bushmaster DAC vs Arcam CD17s

stargazer30

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

I am currently running a set of B&W 685s driven by an Arcam A18 amp. I have a Beresford Bushmaster audio DAC feeding the amp.

The DAC was a ment to be cheaper option (£200) for CDs until I could save up to buy the matching Arcam CD17 (£500) CDP. I had an old Marantz CDP I was running though the DAC.

So finally I got my mits on the Arcam CDP so thought it was worth posting up a comparison between the Arcams internal DAC and the Bushmaster.

I've done several back to back tests and even though theres not much in it I think I prefer the Beresford DAC :facepalm:

Detail wise theres nothing in it. Both the Arcam and the Bushmaster do a very good job of bringing out the detail in the music. I can;t pick out anything one does the other doesn't. The main difference is hard to describe but its almost like the Arcam favours the midrange a bit more or more likely, Arcam being very neutral, the bushmaster is slightly more dynamic on the high and lows.

When listening to them both the Arcam CDP DAC sounds more fuller but a tiny bit flat vs the Bushmaster. To be honest I can't tell which one is actually better, its only my personal preference. Still the Arcam is new so it may need some more running in.

So bottom line £200 DAC on par with a £500 CDP and can be used for other sources, can't be bad! :smashin:

One question would be are you using the same cables? I would assume you have done a comparison between the analogue out of cd17 straight to a18 against the digital out of cd17 to dac then out with analogue to amp.
There will always be slight variances in sound this way..especially if you are using different cables.

I done comparisons with the cd17 against various dacs costing up to £600 and found the sound output via analogue on cd17 to be on par with most up to around the £400 mark..and didn't think the improvement in sound on £600 ones was worth the money in all fairness.

I do like arcam's sound though & imo there's always a benefit for keeping the signal path as short as possible. Also having the dac & transport both linked to the same 'master clock' as is in a cdp helps to reduce jitter.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom