1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beovision Avant & High Definition

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Stewarty, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Stewarty

Stewarty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a new Avant 32 DVD recently and I'm a wee bit bewildered by all thie hype about HD television. Can anyone tell me if CRT will be compatable with HD and speaking of B&O, can the Avants software be upgraded to comply with DV1 & HDMI? If not - what difference will HD make (if any) to non compliant CRT? PS I'm a newbie - be gentle with me :lease:

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    CRT sets can be compatible with HD.
    However, I don't know if your B&O set is HD resolution, but it doesn't have the necessary inputs AFAIK.
    DVI and HDMI are hardware, so software won't upgrade it.
    Though B&O could possibly release an add-on module if the display itself is capable of HD.

HD will make no difference to non-HD sets. You will have no way to input the signal, or view it as HD. As such it is an irrelevance.

3. Stewarty

Stewarty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback Loz, I've been looking at the the www.beoworld.co.uk site and find that quite a few contributor's believe that HD will make a small improvement to non compliant equipment picture quality. However I think that B&O are few steps behind the field in terms of HD development. Take the new BV7 LCD for example, which is not HD compliant! With regard to the Avant's picture quality I believe that you can't really improve what is alaready a near perfect picture - far superior to any flat screen LCD or Plasma out there IMHO. LOL Stewarty :thumbsup:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Stewarty as one of the few forum members who know B&O and the rest of the industry yes they are behind and no your Avant will not have the ability for HD an upgrade is possible but unlikely (would need a new chassis and a replacement is £2k+) more worrying is the lack of HD on the Beovision 4 and 5 plasmas and IIRC the new LCD should be HD ready.......

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    HD sources will often look better when downconverted to SD than SD sources.

The compression artefacts will be finer on HD compressed material, and will be even less visible when scaled to SD, whereas compression artefacts on SD sources will be more visible. The same holds true for video noise, "sharpness"/"aperture correction" visibility etc.

The difference is obviously not as great as the difference between HD and SD - but there are still improvements to be had if you display an HD source on SD.

(This is similar to stuff shot on HD cameras and downconverted to SD, like the Proms, looking better than similar material shot using SD cameras)

6. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps if we're lucky when HD sourced football is downconverted to SD it will no longer look like web cam footage.:suicide:

7. Stewarty

Stewarty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hornydragon, Thanks for your reply. I've read your comments on the Avant on previous threads and consider you to be one of the more informed forum members when it comes to B&O! You right about the B&O plasma's. But there has been a lot of debate about the new BV7 on the Beoworld forum and there are a lot of Beofiles who are not happy with the LCD's design or lack of HD inputs.

Stephen Neal, Thanks for the feedback, This confirms my view that HD will be a small impovement for non compliant products

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well i shall get the inside gen from my mate who is stil at B&O but i thought it had HDCP DVi..... the Beovision 6 has DVi (as lifted direct from donor screen) DVi_D with HDCP is as good as HDMI for video (HDMI is basiocally DVi-D with HDCP and audio)

9. ChrisN

ChrisN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there,

I'm sorry to say the Avant is not going to get an HD overhaul but I think you're correct in saying it wouldn't make a huge difference anyway to the picture!!

The B&O BeoVision 7 is going to have an updated scaler and software available around the middle of the year that will make it fully "HD Ready", same with the BeoVision 6 LCD screens (slightly different upgrade though)

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    as are "NEW" B&O plasmas.... be interesting to see if the Beosystem 2 will be upgraded to HDCP output or whether they will flaunt the HDCP regs and still output analogue RGBHV to the Panny screens they use.... HDMI equiped B&O plasmas will be available June/July time

11. ChrisN

ChrisN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The actual screen is going to have new inputs along with new outputs for the BeoSystem 2 "media box", as well as a software upgrade.

This will ONLY apply to 42", 50" and 65" screens bought around about Feb / March onwards AFAIK

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    guess where all the panny DVi boards have gone... Chris do you know if they are upgrading the 42" to 1024x768 panel or keeping the 852x480 SD panel?

13. ChrisN

ChrisN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Panasonic DVI boards - I don't know what you mean... :rolleyes:

I can't find any info that states this absolutely, what they are saying is that the screens will fulfill all the conditions set out by the EICTA to make a product officially "HD READY"