1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben's new cinema room....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by benwillcox, Jul 14, 2005.

1. EriX

EriX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi Ben

I noticed the other day that nvidia drivers now have blending options built in, have been following your thread for a while now. You may have already discovered this but if not it might be worth a look.

Eric

2. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Cheers EriX, I am aware that some of the Nvidia cards have or had blending in their drivers, but Mad Mr H has done quite a lot of investigation and testing with these, and it seems that this functionallity is flawed and it is impossible to produce an acceptable blend zone! :mad:
    As it happens, I've just recently replaced my graphics card. I mentioned previously that I had problems with horizontal tearing on my second head, so I ordered a Matrox P650, which has dual hardware overlay (this is pretty rare it seems!). Now overlay works on both heads, and my tearing problems are gone! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
    Ben

3. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Well I can't believe its almost 2 years since I last updated the thread, and 4 years since I started the whole project, but more development of the games room part of the build has started! (I don't like to rush these things!)

I wasn't able to finish plasterboarding the walls until the ceiling was finished, and not able to finish the ceiling until the french doors had been replaced. But, earlier this year I replaced the old rotten doors with some nice new solid oak double glazed doors, and yesterday finished the first layer of sound-block plasterboard on the ceiling!

[​IMG]

Just a few more boards to go on the ceiling and all the double boarding will be complete, ready for the last wall to be dry lined. More updates soon I hope!

Ben

4. skull_bone

skull_bone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    An amazing and very special looking build mate. Wasnt sure about the projectors, but now i know your reasons, i can fully understand, and they do look authentic. Any time you need a housesitter, gimme a PM ;)

5. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks Skullbone! Unfortunately one of my projectors died a couple of days ago :thumbsdow so no more films for me for a while. I will have to see if I can find which part is faulty (it won't power up) and see if its worth repairing. I'm tempted to take the opportunity to upgrade to HD, I would probably look at something like the Panasonic PT-AE3000 or 4000 although can't afford to do that right now.
    Oh well, the cinema room is temporarily piled up with junk from the games room, as it is being plastered tomorrow! Here's a couple of shots now that all the plasterboarding is done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ben

6. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Plastering is done!

Just need to wait for it to dry then its time to paint :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Plaster is all dry, painting is done, sockets all fitted. I've started building the step on the inside of the door, and am now working on boxing in all the footings around the edge of the walls which are slightly raised above the level of the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am on the lookout for a nice Dolby Digital plaque to mount on the cinema room door.

Ben

8. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The framework for the boxing in of the footings is done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of mounting some low level lighting into it, perhaps LEDs of some sort should give a nice effect.

Ben

9. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Brilliant work mate, read it start to finish! Good luck with it.. it's taken quite a while eh?! :smashin::smashin:

10. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Time for my annual thread update! :D

Well, the gamesroom is (almost!) done. Carpet is in, still the odd little thing such as new light fittings needed, but I'd say its finished!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But more exciting is my new projector :smashin:

The Barcos are out, and a new Panasonic PT-AE4000 is in :clap:
    I previously used a HTPC and VLC to send VGA to the Barcos using VLC and Panoramix to do the blending.
    I've now upgraded the HTPC with a better CPU, more RAM, Bluray drive and an ATI 5450 HDMI graphics card to feed the AE4000 via HDMI. I'm using MediaPortal now as a frontend which works very well - the best bit is the automatic refresh rate detection, so it automatically switches my second video output (feeding the PJ) with 24p, 50p etc etc as appropriate so I get very smooth video all the time.

The Panasonic was the only real choice for me, as it has a built in automatic lens zoom memory to allow a 16:9 image and a 2.35:1 image on the same screen without manual adjustment. I'm very happy with it, with the only downside being the poor black levels compared to the CRTs, but I was prepared for that.
    1080p material looks awesome, especially stuff in 2.35:1 ratio, and the auto-zoom function works really well.
    I'm running it in ECO lamp mode which is plenty bright enough for the completely light-controlled room, and almost silent too which is a bonus.

It seems a bit weird not having the big lumps bolted to the ceiling now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see the ceiling needs repainting to cover the holes where the unistrut used to be. I built the projector shelf for the AE4000 using bits of scrap MDF that I had lying about. Luckily it was easy to run the new HDMI cable around the lighting shelf that I had built into the room at the start without having to start pulling the room to bits.

I tried to take some screenshots of the new PJ but it is really hard to get a decent photo with such a dark room and a bright screen! I will try again with a tripod at some point.

Ben

11. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    That looks awesome, i love the games room; if i'd have seen an original Star Wars Pinball table in there i would have totally lost control of all my bodily functions :D but it does look great :thumbsup:

12. diesel

diesel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi Ben.

That's a fantastic room mate. Having a games room adjacent is just the icing on the cake:smashin:

I once bought a CRT from these very forums. I got it delivered and it was sat in it's box in the centre of the living room floor when my wife arrived home from work.........

.........I sold it to another AVForums member the day after:D

The size of CRT PJs is what convinced my wife to agree to let me start looking for a self build project (so I could have a dedicated room):smashin:

EDIT:- why is thread only four stars??? I've just awarded it 5 stars and that's the minimum it deserves!
    EDIT EDIT:- yay, thread has gone back to 5 stars after I voted :D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  13. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    An absolutely top notch project! I've sat and read each post one by one and clicked the links to the other threads. Very interesting indeed and an excellent build.

I'd love to see some screenshots just to finish it off. Hopefully they can be added.... before next christmas! lol

Well done again! Absolutely love those cinema seats. :smashin:

14. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks Inzaman!

Hi Diesel, yes I don't think I would have got away with 1 let alone 2 CRTs if I didn't have a dedicated room!
    Just checked out your thread, now THAT is an awesome build project you have there - I will be following it with great interest!

Nice one, many thanks :thumbsup:

Thanks Jagdeepp for the comments! I will get some screenshots very soon :laugh:

Ben

15. blueboy1971

blueboy1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Wow, first time i have seen this thread. Amazing work and i think you achieved the dream that many of us have.

Well done.

16. woodie01

woodie01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simply WOW! These two rooms are incredible and should be very proud of what you got!

Matt

17. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks Blueboy and Woodie for your comments!

Well I waved goodbye to the 2 Barcos last night, they sold on ebay for absolute peanuts, but at least they went to a good home where another CRT enthusiast will take care of them!

Had a bit of a play with some screenshots, I'm no photographer unfortunately but here's a few shots from a Canon EOS 350D on automatic mode, flash off. Here you go:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, I have read somewhere else that the best way to take a screenshot that includes some of the cinema room itself, you need to first take a photo of the room with the screen removed (so you don't get reflection from the screen), and then another photo of the projected image and overlay the two.

Its a bit wonkey round the edges and you can see the frame through the acoustic cloth thanks to the flash used in the first photo of the room, but here's my little experiment:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I decided to change my screen material today, as the screen has a couple of very small cuts and scrapes in it due to being touched/knocked at some point.

As I didn't post any pictures of the screen when I made it, I thought I would take some pictures this time!

Again I went for blackout cloth from Dunelm, I still think its by far the most cost effective way to make a screen, and cost me £20 for 3m worth. In fact, I have a commercial pulldown screen so I thought I would do a comparison to see how different the blackout cloth looks. See if you can tell which is which....!:

[​IMG]

The screen frame was built using 18x69mm battens, in two layers with staggered joints to add rigidity:

[​IMG]

The centre horizonal vertical batten is only single layer, at the back of the screen so that there is no chance if it being visible by touching the screen:

[​IMG]

Here's the cloth laid out ready to go:

[​IMG]

Frame placed centrally on the cloth, you can see here what I mean about the central vertical batten not 'touching cloth'. ;)

[​IMG]

Ready for stapling:

[​IMG]

And now fully stretched and stapled around all sides:

[​IMG]

And here's the finished screen, although you can't tell from the photographs it's much better than the old one!
    [​IMG]

Also re-painted the ceiling today to cover the filler where the old projectors used to be. It seems to be very difficult to get a black paint that is very flat matt, and very black. I ended up using some B&Q 'Colours' soft black matt. It's a bit greyer than the last paint I used but is very flat so there are very minimal reflections. I did test out some International matt black (which I've used on the door) but although its blacker it has a bit of a sheen to it which isn't great as you get reflections from the screen.

Ben

19. slave1

slave1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    What a great read, took me over an hour, brilliant.:smashin:
    Glad to see the Panny AE4000, looking forward to finishing my own effort but it will be Halloween by the time I get it all done, very slow when its a one man job.
    Well done on all your efforts

20. indus

indus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,040
    What a fantastic build, well done Ben!

May I ask a couple of questions?

1) How will you access the front speakers should you need to?

2) The equipment on the extendable rack will not be facing the seats. Are you bothered that you won't be able to see any of the displays of the equipment should you want to adjust something whilst watching a film?

Thanks

21. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks! I've been following your thread too, I see you have an Onkyo TXSR608, I have got my eye on one of those myself to replace my ancient Sherwood amp!

Cheers,
    Ben

22. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks! :D

The speaker columns are not fixed in place, they just sit in position so can easily be removed by just pulling them out.

As for the displays on the equipment, I have disconnected all the LEDs inside the HTPC case and covered the air-con LED with black tape, so the only thing with a display on it is the amp. When I watch a film I turn the display off on the Amp so everything is completely black.
    With a totally blacked out room any little bit of light is easily visible, and I don't want any distractions at all. I've even had to put black tape over the power LED on my sub, and the LED inside the smoke detector!

Cheers,
    Ben

23. indus

indus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,040
    Hi Ben,

Point taken on the light pollution, not sure about the smoke detector though:lesson::D

In terms of the speakers its the ones along the bottom beneath the screen I'm talking about. If we are talking about the same thing is there a chance you might take a pic of the covers moved out of place slightly so I can see exactly what you have done?

I'm planning my own dedicated cinema room and love what you have done with the speakers at the front and will be taking inspiration from it.:smashin:

24. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    OK, hopefully these will explain how they fit - here's the cover over the centre speaker removed and turned around so you can see it from the back. It's angled so that it just leans against the wall when in place. Please excuse all the junk stashed behind it! :blush:

[​IMG]

And same again but for the left column. The shelf for the speaker you can see here is offset from the front of the wall by a couple of inches. The idea was that my masking curtains would be stowed behind the speakers and come out of the gap to cover the screen. In practice this didn't quite work due to the bunching up of the material, but I plan to rebuild the masking system using tensioned fabric on vertical rollers which hopefully will work better!

[​IMG]

Ben

25. indus

indus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,040
    Hi Ben,

Thanks, yes it makes sense now. My room will be 'width compromised' at about 9.5-10ft so no space on the sides for speakers, they will all go along the bottom. Your cover seems to be exactly what I will need to cover the speakers neatly but provide ready access.

Thanks again and good luck with the final stages of the build:smashin: