Ben's new cinema room....

benwillcox

baldrick said:
As far as I can tell you are rack mounting your rack!?!?!?

Hmm, it does sound a bit strange when you put it like that! Yes, pretty much, although the slidey out bit that I'm making out of MDF will not really be a rack as such, but have some shelves inside, as none of my gear is actually rack-mountable!
Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Ben

baldrick

Novice Member
That explains everything although you can buy rackmount adapters for non-rackmount kit!

I want to rackmount a load of kit in our new house and I almost fainted when I looked at the price of 'off the shelf' racks! I will certainly be buying some of the rack strip from Maplins and making one....

benwillcox

Time for a little update.

Door is in complete with door closer and handle:

wallbackdone.jpg

Back wall of the games room is boarded, you can see the pipe run for the cinema aircon unit across the top of the wall:

wallrearboarded.jpg

and the aircon unit plumbed in and working:

airconfar.jpg

booyaka

looking forward to seeing this progress - good work!

benwillcox

Thanks for the kind words fellas!

Last wall in the cinema room is plasterboarded, woo hoo! :smashin:

window.jpg

We dot 'n dabbed this rear wall as the plasterboard would have stood proud of the window sill otherwise.
There will be a big rectangular 'plug' that fits in the recess so you don't actually see the window.

So next step is to get it skimmed, then the fun stuff starts!

stu_69

Standard Member
great work mate. We will be buying a place later this year or at the latest early next year and I am hoping to get somewhere I can put in my own cinema.

Anyway this may seem a stupid question but why not just put a door from your games room into the back of the equipment store?

benwillcox

Cheers Stu, bet you can't wait!

The Building Inspector came round this afternoon, and as usual I was bricking it in case he said something like 'its all wrong, rip it down and start again'! But no, again it was quite straightforward, he mentioned the requirement for a Means Of Escape window if I was going to replace the window (which the first guy didn't mention :eek: ) but I've decided to keep the original windows at least for now so that doesn't matter.

So, I've got my plasterer coming round on Saturday to skim it. The games room needs to wait a bit longer as I need to sort the external doors out and stuff, but that doesn't matter right now.

I was thinking about putting a door into the back of the cupboard at one point but I decided not to as I wanted the wall to be as soundproof and lightproof as possible, which means cutting as few holes in it as I can!

Cheers,
Ben

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
this is going to be an awesome build mate :thumbsup:

A

andyturner28

benwillcox said:
Not very interesting update but.....

Wired in a couple of the smoke detectors, one upstairs in the house, with a 1mm 3core & earth link to one downstairs. So if one goes off they both go off :thumbsup: Safety first boys and girls... :D

Air-con unit is ordered, got the last one of this model here:

http://www.global-cooling.co.uk/millennium-dual-inverter-12000.php

Should do the honours I think....
These guys were very helpful and responded very quickly to my questions by email.

I must admit that it was a bit more expensive then I had planned for, after originally reading threads on here about air-con and seeing the cheapo units on ebay. But of course I needed two indoor units so cha-ching, up goes the cost. Plus this is an inverter model which basically means it can vary it's cooling/heating output by varying the speed of the compressor. (cha-ching) The cheapo units just switch on and off to regulate the temperature, so are noisier and have less precise temperature control. (apparently). Global Cooling also hire out a vaccum pump and cutting/flaring tools so that you can make up the refrigerent pipes to the exact length needed, just like a pro install. :smashin:

I now plan to run some conduit for the projector signal cable, I'll probably use 40mm pushfit waste pipe unless anybody thinks that's a bad idea? There will be about 4 swept bends in the pipe to get from the middle of the room to the equipment rack cupboard.
For now I'll just run a draw-rope through it and pull the cable through later (I hope :rotfl: )

Ben

Hi Ben.

I have the single indoor unit version of that which i got from www.airconforless.co.uk
It works prety good but i would highly advise getting it professionaly installed as if doing it DIY there is no way of completely extracting all the air from the system, which will cause problems later, as i found out to my cost. I had to get it re gassed after 20 million calls to the distributer and it cost me £80.

I hope i am not too late with this advice as i am only on page one of your thread. Should be spectacular when it is completed, i wish we had a basement.

Good luck with the build,

Andy.

A

andyturner28

Yep, too late.

I assume you didn't have any problems with it. Aircon didn't supply me with a pump.

You have a fantastic room there, cant wait to see the fun parts go in.

Andy.

benwillcox

andyturner28 said:
I assume you didn't have any problems with it. Aircon didn't supply me with a pump.

Hey Andy,

I had looked at aircon4less also, but they stopped responding to my email queries when I asked about the 5% VAT law and also whether the unit they were advertising was an inverter model - so I avoided them. The vaccum pump hire with Global Cooling was optional, but I'm glad I got it as when I installed the first unit it showed up a leak that I wouldn't have known about otherwise! (I just hadn't tightened one of the nuts up enough).

Thanks for the comments!

Cheers,
Ben

rich1231

Standard Member
Hi Ben,
great build diary..

Re the Air con I bought and 18000 BTU unit on ebay for £260 a few weeks back. It was installed professionally this weekend and is fine. Its variable speed, not just on and off.

I had to have a special pump installed to take the water away which was a pain.

The one think to watch out for is the power supply as this one as most to have a big ampage spike when they start up. Upto 10 times its rated current. And these special supplies need to have isolators withing 2m of the unit I believe.

Rich

A

andyturner28

benwillcox said:
Hey Andy,

I had looked at aircon4less also, but they stopped responding to my email queries when I asked about the 5% VAT law and also whether the unit they were advertising was an inverter model - so I avoided them. The vaccum pump hire with Global Cooling was optional, but I'm glad I got it as when I installed the first unit it showed up a leak that I wouldn't have known about otherwise! (I just hadn't tightened one of the nuts up enough).

Thanks for the comments!

Cheers,
Ben

That dosn't supprise me at all, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I literally left them about 100 messages before they replied and then it took another 5 phone calls before they came round to re-gas the thing. I have since had a problem where the fan stops working untill i either turn it off at the mains or go through all the modes several times, so it looks like another 100 phone calls. They are not answering at all at the moment.

DO NOT USE AIRCONFORLESS. You will end up loosing all your hair if you do

When do you start the fun stuff. I cant wait.

Cheers,

Andy.

benwillcox

Now is the time to decide on my screen size and projector position.

I want to use a 2.35:1 constant height screen setup, but CRTs are not ideal for this due to the non-availablility of anamorphic lenses, which means that you lose a lot of resolution when squeezing the image into a small amount of the phosphor.

So, I'm trying out blending, which will allow me to get 720p in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio using 2 x 801s projectors:

2pjs.jpg

Much more tricky to setup than a single PJ, but I think it is do-able. I need to test out the positioning of the projectors and screen size now, I'm looking at about a 9 or 9 1/2 foot wide screen.

One problem I have found is that because the ceiling is only 7 1/2 feet high, and the projectors hang down 17" at the lowest point, you will end up with a projector or two in your face when you walk through the door! :eek:

Ben

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
MadMrH over on the CRT forum has been experimenting with blending so might be able to help with that.

Gary

A

andyturner28

benwillcox said:
Now is the time to decide on my screen size and projector position.

I want to use a 2.35:1 constant height screen setup, but CRTs are not ideal for this due to the non-availablility of anamorphic lenses, which means that you lose a lot of resolution when squeezing the image into a small amount of the phosphor.

So, I'm trying out blending, which will allow me to get 720p in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio using 2 x 801s projectors:

2pjs.jpg

Much more tricky to setup than a single PJ, but I think it is do-able. I need to test out the positioning of the projectors and screen size now, I'm looking at about a 9 or 9 1/2 foot wide screen.

One problem I have found is that because the ceiling is only 7 1/2 feet high, and the projectors hang down 17" at the lowest point, you will end up with a projector or two in your face when you walk through the door! :eek:

Ben

Holy crap:eek: You don't do things by halfs, do you mate!

Would it not be easyer just to make a 2.35:1 screen and use the single PJ (and give the other one to me:) ) It's gona be a nightmare making sure you don't have a line down the middle of the screen. Also how would you get half an image on each PJ? Or is that what the box in the middle is for?

Andy.

surrey lad

Ben, I just popped over to the CRT forum to post a link here to the 'Edge Blending Contrast Modulation Twin Projection' thread, but it looks like you've already found it. :rolleyes: you have been busy!!

Stop playing with the pjs and get decorating we all want to see this room finished soon....... :D

Where are you thinking of buying your screen from??

benwillcox

Hey fellas,

Yes it was actually that thread by MadMrH that introduced me to the concept of edge blending.
However I'm using the VLC player along with a cheapo £20 ATI card to do the blending rather than an Nvidia card. This method is discussed on avsforum here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=692824

Andy, that box is just a standard PC with a dual head graphics card. The basic principle is that the VLC player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) splits the video into two halves, and outputs each one to a separate projector. The left image fades to black on it's right side, and the right image fades to black on it's left side, and because it also gives an area of overlap, when you correctly align the two images on the screen you get a seamless blend between the two.

Well thats the theory anyway! Yes it would be much easier to have a single projector, but this way you can get much higher resolutions so HD playback is feasable even when playing back material thats not as wide as the full 2.35:1.

I'm planning to build my own screen using a wooden frame (I think you used this method Gary?) and probably some blackout cloth. I was lent a small pulldown projection screen which I compared against a white bedsheet and some blackout cloth, and it didn't look any better to me, so I'm not going to spend a load of money on an expensive screen.

inzaman

Wow Ben would be interested to know if you get this 'blending' working as it sounds like a good idea for a fixed height 2.35:1 screen, not that i will be able to do it as my room is too small to have two large CRT pj's, or one large one for that matter. I just hope that lens manufacturers start to bring lenses out for shorter throw rooms so we can all experience 2.35: constant height.

Without wanting to take the thread off topic do stacked CRT's work on the same or similar principle to blending? This is just for my curiosity :)

And as above on the decorating, we are all itching to see the completion :thumbsup:

benwillcox

Hi Inzaman,

Well I am no expert, but I understand that the principle of stacking 2 PJs is that they both project identical images on top of each other to get increased brightness when projecting a very large image. So stacking doesn't give you any increased resolution like a blend will.

As for the decorating, well I actually don't know where to start now I've got to this stage! :rolleyes:

Ben.

sunama

Now that you seem to have finished the soundproofing. How much do you estimate that it all cost you to get it all done (excluding the air con unit and home cinema kit)?

A

andyturner28

Hi Ben.

How much did your soundblock sheets cost you? A clegue lives in a flat and wants some to cut down on the noise from the neighbours. I have found several websites that do them but they don't list prices.

Hows the blending going? I am facinated to see how that turns out.

Cheers,

Andy.

T

thomo99

hi there

im not sure on soundblock but I used Lafarge DB 15mm SoundCheck board and this is about £7.25 per sheet.

im sure soundblock would be the same

sheet size 2.4m x 1.2m

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Astell&Kern announces new Kann Max DAP and Pathfinder earphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
McIntosh unveils flagship MCD12000 CD/SACD player
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonos announces new Ray soundbar
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony set to launch WH-1000XM5 wireless headphones