BenQ7700 or Sanyo z4

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eugdog2, Oct 23, 2005.

1. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would appear from the avbuzz review and others that the claimed contrast of the new LCD are utterly preposterous.

Why should I not go for the the Benq7700 as it is DLP and has contrast of 2500. With DLP I would have no screen door effect.

I have a NEC1000 but I really want a wXga projector.

What advantage does the Z4 or AE900 have over the Benq7700

2. terrysharp

terrysharp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Rainbows, Lens Shift, 2x Zoom, Slightly Cheaper. ;)

3. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sanyo 3 year warranty, 90 days on lamp and excellent turnaround times apparently, as I've never had to test them.

4. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never had a problem with Rainbows on DLP. Lens shift is very nice and so is the zoom but surely those are really a matter of slight convieniance.

The real questions is there anything actually better about the picture quality on LCD to compensate for the lower contrast and the screendoor effect.

5. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    By all accounts the newer breed of LCD projectors produce a very nice picture, however my opinion is that in general LCD produce a more softer image than DLP. I tend to find that DLP has more punch to the picture.A demo of LCD would be a must.

With regard to the Benq PE7700 this projector has been built to a completely different price point to the NEC and I am not convinced that the Benq would have the long term quality and lifespan.

If your NEC is still giving you enjoyment why not wait to see what happens over the next few months the arrival of the 1080 chip is going to shake up the market place once again.

Foghorn

6. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is the other way around Foghorn. DLPs have a softer image. 100% sure! Punchier is a matter of opinion though!

7. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't want to disagree again but 1080 chip PJs at an affordable price are not a few months away!

8. terrysharp

terrysharp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eugdog2

If you don't see rainbows then you should also consider the Mitsubishi HC 3000, CINE4HOME had a great early review of it and said it had 80 percent more contrast than the Toshiba MT 700 which is almost identical to the BenQ 7700. The price looks like being comparable to the BenQ as well. Oh I forgot to mention that CINE4HOME seem to think it has Darkchip 3 though others are not sure.

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I think this is a very reasonable question, the 7700 is a valid option at this price point (or just above anyway). I'd be very interested in one too, advantages of DLP and it's WXGA. Rainbows would be my only worry, and I'd be particularly keen to see if the pics you could get were as sharp/detailed as the Z4 etc - no reason to believe they won't be.

Main point though - do not underestimate the importance of zoom (which the Benq 7700 has anyway?) and optical lens shift. I didn't really use it until I started waching via a DVI attached player on a regular basis. With component the pic lines up to the borders 95% of the time, with DVI all DVD's seem to be slightly different and I'm regularly fine tuning the pic position (and sometimes adding some zoom) to line it up perfectly. Without this flexibility the pic would look shabby on the screen...PJ

10. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I recently had the pleasure of seeing the Sim2 C3X and the Fujitsu 1080P LCD at the Scottish HIFI exibition and to my eyes the Sim2 C3X won hands down. In addition many people who attended the show preferred the H79 compared to the Fujitsu which was set up the same room. Yes lcd can give a colourful picture and a very good one at that, i just don't feel that they are as detailed or 3D as DLP,maybe it just how my eyes see it.

Maybe i was just to late in the evening to post however i was trying to suggest that when the 1080 chips hit the market place it will push down the price of 720 DLP chip projectors. This was the resolution of projector eugdog2 was asking about.

Foghorn

11. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I auditioned a Panasonic AE700 and a Benq PE7700. This was before the AE900 came out and I've not seen that. Pretty difficult to find somewhere to audition the BenQ so what I did was e mail them and they invited me to go to their offices in Milton Keynes, which was very nice of them. So I did!

To my eyes the BenQ picture was superior. I don't think the Panasonic was set up very well, the BenQ was and we used my Oppo DVD player which probably helped too but the BenQ had a more involving picture. It had more depth, more reality, it felt significantly more real. Whilst the Panasonic picture was very good it didn't give me that same sense of reality. It's similar to listening to a hi fi, the better the sound system the more it sounds like a real performance, to me the BenQ was ahead of the Panasonic by quite a margin.

However I would say that both were astonishing for the price. I bought my old projector about 4 years ago and I was stunned by how things have changed in such a short period. Unless you've been looking at very expensive machines it is almost unbelievable that such a high quality picture is so easily and affordably possible these days. You can't realy go wrong with either but for me choosing the BenQ over the Panasonic was easy.

The rainbow effect only bothers me on 2x wheels and then only slightly. On my old dlp projector I'd see one an hour or so. With the BenQ I've never ever even seen one. Not one. I also preferred the BenQ 3 year warranty so that's what I bought. Two of 'em actualy, a pal bought one as well. So far neither of us have had any problems (other than with the Oppo putting out an incorrect Pal signal when upscaling) and the machines feel and look very substantial and well made.

12. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your great comments - I think I am going to wait till the Mitsubishi HC3000.

I think I will take a pass on the Panny and Sanyo

DLP still rules!!!

13. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LOL :rotfl: :devil:

14. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Deano-B,

I was just wondering are you related to Tryg on the AVS forum. :D

Foghorn

15. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am going to take the plunge with the BenQ 7700 when it drops in price. At the moment it is around £1500, when i see it for a little over £1000 i will bite. Basically i love the native resolution as its perfect for Sky HD/Xbox360 and the constrast ratio is better than my H30 and of course it has all the right connections on the back of it :smashin: PLUS ITS DLP!!!! So no nasty possibilities of any nasty dead pixels :D

Siamese Cat: keep up the good work! So nearly made me go and buy one right now but no...i must wait for a good deal :)

16. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    The only thing blown out of all proportions more than dead pixels is RBE.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a stuff whether it's LCD or DLP, as long as the pic is stunning? :)

17. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't know who he is, but sounds like a damn fine man!! ;)

18. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I was all for DLP, but after a few demo's, I'm afraid to say that I keep seeing the Rainbows, every time I blinked on fast moving white objects, there they where..

I do think DLP is fractionally better from a static image point of view, but believe me, the Z4 I've now got has more then enough ANSI contrast to give a glorious 3D image, it quite frankly is a real alternative to DLP..

I think the black level debate is almost moot, the Z4 alledgedly doesn't quite have the darkest blacks in the world, but even in a very light controlled environment, reflected light still lifts the black level a degree higher then the projector's black level..

SDE is really not even an issue anymore.. of course you can see it slightly at stupidly close distances, but its academic, from anything remotely 'normal', its not visible.

There is no way DLP rules LCD, or vice versa, they are both at such a high level at this price point, you are just nit-picking with technical numbers...

I'd say realistically its Rainbows Vs Fractionally higher black levels, everything else is subjective...

19. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Your right, it is subjective and in my view a dead pixel is a no no. Sure if i was sensitive to the RBE i would maybe consider other avenues but i am amazed that someone can see the RBE on a PJ that has a 4x or faster colour wheel but even if i did see the RBE effect one or two times during a movie i would take it over a permenant stuck pixel.

P.S. i understand that dead pixel checks are carried out and that the chances of getting an LCD PJ with no dead pixels are better but i hate the risk of stuck pixels happening through out the life off the PJ, i would rather eliminate it entirely or to the best of my ability and in my view a stuck mirror has far less chance of happening.

20. lw32

lw32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends how badly you are affected by rainbows. It's possible to see them but not be bothered too much, certainly not enough to ruin your enjoyment. On the other hand; eye strain, headaches, even nausea have been reported from watching a DLP!!! LCD would be your only choice regardless of dead/stuck pixels.

I still see the occasional rainbow on my H57. They don't bother me at all. It was a risk though because I bought it blind, no demo. I think that DLP gives a superior picture but LCD is pretty damn close. I just wasn't willing to accept the 'potential' problems that come with LCD - vertical banding being top of the list. That is more objectionable than dead pixels!

21. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just read up on vertical banding, sounds like a nightmare to be honest. If i was over sensitive to the RBE i am not sure i would fancy investing in LCD unless i felt lucky. Is this vertical banding possible on an lcd tv as well?

22. lw32

lw32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about TVs but I have heard of banding on LCD monitors, usually by setting the refresh too high. Projectors are the most susceptible to VB. You'll find numerous posts on this forum of people trying to get rid of it. Adjusting the flicker settings was a popular method (AE700), sometimes that worked but only for a short time then you'd have to tweak it again!!!
    Constant hassles like that would drive me nuts. Same for dust blobs - another pain I can do without. Sure it's possible to get an LCD PJ free of all these niggles but why take the risk? DLP has fewer annoying problems as well as having a smooth film-like picture with good contrast and deep blacks. it's a simple choice really: DLP rainbows vs a long list of LCD flaws. I'm glad I chose DLP. :)

23. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All reviews of the new batch of LCD PJs are stating that VB has not been seen, and the last batch of LCD PJs were mainy VB free with tweaks. Now if you go back over a year ago in LCD history then yes, VB was a problem. Also, it's a similar case with dead pixels, being that over a year ago they were an LCD owners worst fear, but now they are very few and very, very far between (say as common as a stuck mirror).

24. lw32

lw32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Early reports said VB is still present on PJs using the D5 panels. Sure it's possible these were units that had unresolved problems but it is a bit worrying after all the VB on previous models. As for tweaking, it was hit or miss really. You couldn't call it a fix. The fact VB was there in the first place was enough reason for me to ignore those PJs.

25. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    lw32 - how do you like the H57?

I may have an opportunity to get one at a decent price. Have you had any issues or problems with it? I borrowed one on demo and I loved the picture quality - streets ahead of my ancient AE100. And that was just via S-video on an old Samsung 709. It did seem to kick out a lot of heat though.

The other main advantage (I believe) of DLP is lack of dust in the optics that affects so many LCD panels - my AE100 included. Nasty pink blobs.

CL

26. lw32

lw32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, to be honest, I'm still blown away by the picture quality! I've had my H57 for almost a year now and until hi-def is available I'll stick with it. No problems to speak of, however excess heat can sometimes cause the fan to become erratic which is a bit annoying. It never settles on one speed and tends to slow down/speed up. other than that I have nothing but praise for this machine. If I were buying right now though I'd get a 720 PJ but if you can get it for a decent price then don't hesitate. No dust blobs either!! :D