Quantcast

BenQ W5700

Stu C

This new projector from BenQ looks interesting, and may be a direct competitor to the new Epson TW9400. I think that it will be priced around £2600 (comparable to the TW9400). Possibly launch in March.

It will use a newly updated TI 0.47″ DLP chip (hopefully without the light halo), and is therefore a pixel shifter to achieve 4k. Notably, it has a dynamic iris and supports HDR10+ and HLG. Available information indicates 2,200 lumens, RGBRGB colour wheel, optical zoom of 1.2 - 1.6x and a projection aspect ratio of 1.36 - 2.18: 1, with 60% vertical and 23% horizontal lens shift. Claims of 100% coverage of the BT.709 and DCI-P3 color space, but I think we'll have to test! I can't find any info on contrast ratio numbers.

BenQ W5700 CES 2019 Vorschau - 4K HDR10+ Beamer kommt!
BenQ W5700 : DLP 4K successeur du W8000 – – Le Blog de PHC –
BenQ W5700: Neuer 4K Heimkino-Projektor wirft seine Schatten voraus - 4K Filme

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
That is interesting. Only thing is possible March release could mean it comes out in June if it has delays like the epson. By that time lots of people will already bought the epson as who likes waiting for gadgets?

AVRams

Standard Member
I can confirm that the irritating "light frame" will be gone on the new generation TI 0.47 DLP chips, at least on the new BenQ projectors (W2700 and W5700).
I'm going to sit out the first generation of the new JVC line, and this looks like a great temporary replacement.
I'm not particularly bothered by the DLP "rainbow effect" either.

Stu C

Anyone have news on this? People in the US starting to receive units, and first look videos popping up on YouTube... Waiting for direct comparisons versus Epson TW9400.

Stu C

The the first review is out... Test BenQ W5700 : l’avis de Grégory – – Le Blog de PHC –

Gregory's conclusion is that this projector is now his "reference projector". Highlights include factory calibration for DCI and Rec. 709, excellent image sharpness and good tone mapping. However, contrast is not the best (to be expected with DLP) and does not compete with the Epson TW9400.

However, with comparison to the Epson, there are some discrepancies. So Gregory reviewed the TW9400 three weeks ago, but he has now declared the W5700 to be his new king of projectors in this price range.

For the W5700 he says, "The management of brightness is optimal and at no time, whether with Alien Covenant, King Arthur, Dunkirk or Predator I did not have the impression of a HDR image too dark compared to the SDR version." In contrast, for the TW9400 he says, "Although these two selections are primarily intended for the reproduction of 4K HDR programs, setting up the color filter will limit the image size available for this image format. This is a real problem because the image appears too dark." However, the Epson gives out more lumens than the Benq in all modes (see tables attached).

Also, in the comments, Gregory says "If you have the budget the TW9400 seems to me a better choice than the W5700 (motorized optics, better contrast). The W5700 earns points against the Epson for sharpness, color fidelity and HDR rendering."... this obviously conflicts with him announcing the BenQ the new king of projectors. Also, I'm not sure why budget is a factor here, because he lists both models as being 2799 €.

Over at AVSForums, first user reports say there are issues with the dynamic iris, and that black levels are not great generally. There is a lot of discussion about the BenQ being 4x1080 vs 2x1080 on the Epson, therefore the BenQ image is sharper; however real like impact may be low depending on your screen size and viewing distance.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3050402-benq-w5700-ht5550-4k-100-dci-p3-projector-announcement-ownera-s-thread-15.html