Benq w5700 (ht5550) vs epson tw9400 (6050ub)

soumyajit92

Novice Member
Hi guys, planning to finalize between one of these by the end of this week. I'm really interested in getting the epson since it's got the features and performance but i'm a bit reluctant on the resolution since even though both of them are pixel shifters, epson only does it upto 4m px as a result it doesn't look quite sharp. Now it's really difficult to get demo of either of these where i stay, kinda have to go blindly. So please suggest what should i do. Attaching a few images of the room design to help you guys understand. The fan that can be seen will not be installed.

Also as you can see from the room design the cavity between two decorative wooden panel will be used for a 65 inch oled tv and the screen ll be motorised one coming from the false ceiling(recessed) a little ahead of the tv, overlapping a few inches of the wooden panels on both side. looking for a 120inch only. Do you guys think it'll be too big for the viewing distance of the room? Also any drawbacks i should be aware of when selecting motorised screens, cant really go for a fixed one since we need a tv as well for the times when we cant control the lights. Thank you.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 10.03.02 PM (2).jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 10.03.02 PM (2).jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 132
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 10.03.02 PM.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 10.03.02 PM.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 122

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
95% of ppl here between the two will suggest 9400.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Seriously you don’t think it’s sharp enough?

077AD68B-8016-4271-A511-74F4FF902D32.jpeg

364BF3F4-ACA0-4E25-AF56-623E8D454157.jpeg

B1ABBF03-6D26-4E31-9DE1-9D7F1D580BE5.jpeg

All images are from my 112” scope screen which is approaching the size of image you would get from your 120” 16:9, oh and by the way both are 1080p not 4K. The really important thing is getting it properly calibrated.

BTW my seating distance places my head about 9-9.5ft from the screen and I have had a mate bring over he’s Native 4K Sony 360es and both of us and 2 of my kids who were about all said from this distance the Epson looked the crisper of the two, we all had to move to about 7ft from the screen to start and question whether we were seeing the better resolution of the Sony but by 6ft it was a done deal.

Don’t assume it makes a difference from normal viewing distance because it doesn’t, but one thing you can’t miss regardless of where you sit are blacks and colour pop because on both the Epson are far superior.

soumyajit92

Novice Member
Seriously you don’t think it’s sharp enough?

View attachment 1433818
View attachment 1433801
View attachment 1433808
All images are from my 112” scope screen which is approaching the size of image you would get from your 120” 16:9, oh and by the way both are 1080p not 4K. The really important thing is getting it properly calibrated.

BTW my seating distance places my head about 9-9.5ft from the screen and I have had a mate bring over he’s Native 4K Sony 360es and both of us and 2 of my kids who were about all said from this distance the Epson looked the crisper of the two, we all had to move to about 7ft from the screen to start and question whether we were seeing the better resolution of the Sony but by 6ft it was a done deal.

Don’t assume it makes a difference from normal viewing distance because it doesn’t, but one thing you can’t miss regardless of where you sit is blacks and colour pop because on both the Epson are far superior.
yes i have gone through many reviews, forum threads, still wanted to make sure. Now i just want to confirm whether the distance measurement(from the attachments i have shared here) is workable with the epson and a 120inch projection. Max i can do is to put the sofa a bit towards the bar counter to have a bit more distance between the screen and the seating area. And also my projector mounting distance cant not be more than 14ft since there's a beam as u can see. so 14ft is enough for a 120inch projection?

also i'm from India and two brands i can get here are the liberty Grandview and elite screen. Which one do you think should i go for for the best image quality (cant afford an ALR screen at the moment). planning to mount the motorized bar inside the false ceiling so that it does show from outside, looks flush.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
My Epson is 3.8m away from the 112” screen, near max zoom gives the most light output which is what you want for HDR.

Asked @Rickyj at Kalibrate about screen choices, I know he sells Grandview as well as his own brand Diverse Screens which I have. I’m sure he can ship their too.

soumyajit92

Novice Member
My Epson is 3.8m away from the 112” screen, near max zoom gives the most light output which is what you want for HDR.

Asked @Rickyj at Kalibrate about screen choices, I know he sells Grandview as well as his own brand Diverse Screens which I have. I’m sure he can ship their too.
thank you so much for the help, but i dont think i can wait for shipping since i'm getting married in 10days, hence the new apartment, hence new av setup. In fact i'm trying to seal a deal within next 3-4 days here locally and those are my options as far as reputed screen goes.

btw does using 1.9x on the widest side (as calculated from the projectorcentrals calculator for a 120inch projection from 13ft away) affect image quality? I know keystone correction does, don't know whether the zoom range has anything to do with it.

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
thank you so much for the help, but i dont think i can wait for shipping since i'm getting married in 10days, hence the new apartment, hence new av setup. In fact i'm trying to seal a deal within next 3-4 days here locally and those are my options as far as reputed screen goes.

btw does using 1.9x on the widest side (as calculated from the projectorcentrals calculator for a 120inch projection from 13ft away) affect image quality? I know keystone correction does, don't know whether the zoom range has anything to do with it.

Get an Epson mate.

Buy the projector first. Project an image onto your wall and see what the biggest size image is you can produce. Then buy a screen which fits those dimensions. Projectorcentral is only a guide. You might get a slightly different sized screen.

Don't use keystone. Buy a good projection mount with lots of fine tune adjustments (like a Peerless) or if you're not going to ceiling mount it, just align it properly.

Home theatre and projection is a step by step process. I'd really just buy the projector first, then research screens.

If you're in a light-room (not blacked out with black walls), most will suggest a GREY or ALR screen. Grey being cheaper and still lowering the black floor and enhancing perceived contrast without the ALR price tag and decreased viewing cone.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I would go with the cheapest option on screen if ideally you want/need an ALR screen, it’s a shame you can’t wait for delivery from Ricky on one of his screens, I’m willing to bet that his ALR screen wouldn’t be much different to a regular Grandview.

Regarding which brand is best I think the Grandview is the better one but if your room is a light colour you might be wiser pricing the Elite 3D Cinegrey screen instead is it will ultimately look better in these conditions.

Last edited:

Luminated67

Distinguished Member

Not at all, the wide zoom hasn’t any affect of image quality but it boosts its HDR ability that’s for sure. BTW what you are seeing from my images are at 1.96 zoom.

soumyajit92

Novice Member
Get an Epson mate.

Buy the projector first. Project an image onto your wall and see what the biggest size image is you can produce. Then buy a screen which fits those dimensions. Projectorcentral is only a guide. You might get a slightly different sized screen.

Don't use keystone. Buy a good projection mount with lots of fine tune adjustments (like a Peerless) or if you're not going to ceiling mount it, just align it properly.

Home theatre and projection is a step by step process. I'd really just buy the projector first, then research screens.

If you're in a light-room (not blacked out with black walls), most will suggest a GREY or ALR screen. Grey being cheaper and still lowering the black floor and enhancing perceived contrast without the ALR price tag and decreased viewing cone.
wall colour i'm not sure but i am installing thick dark curtains on both LR sides, not only for the projector but it'll also help with the acoustic reflection. Now for the mount, i have to talk to the dealer since i've been suggested a height adjustable universal mount, don't know if there's any fancy one available. Also i ll ask for a grey screen anyway and compare the prices. With the brightness of the epson and my throw distance (170nits) i think grey screen ll be better irrespective of the fact that i ll have dark curtains?

soumyajit92

Novice Member
Not at all, the wide zoom hasn’t any affect of image quality but it boosts its HDR ability that’s for sure. BTW what you are seeing from my images are at 1.96 zoom.
great. may need some help with calibrating in future when it's setup since we don't have any calibrators around here ... need to get it on trial and error basis with the help of kind and experienced people like you.

soumyajit92

Novice Member
Hi guys, so as i'm getting deeper into this, seems like projector hdr tone mapping is a thing (PITA?) unlike 4k hdr tvs where the hdr is handled by the tv. What's the best and hassle free practice to get the best hdr quality out of the epson? I'll be using nvidia shield pro and 90% of my movies are in 4k hdr format.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hi guys, so as i'm getting deeper into this, seems like projector hdr tone mapping is a thing (PITA?) unlike 4k hdr tvs where the hdr is handled by the tv. What's the best and hassle free practice to get the best hdr quality out of the epson? I'll be using nvidia shield pro and 90% of my movies are in 4k hdr format.

Just use the slider in the Epson and I'm sure it will satisfy you for now.

Once you have the Epson, you can decide if you want to go forwards with a more superior dynamic tone mapping solution but in short, its not cheap nor is it easy to extract the best HDR tone mapping from any advice. However this applies to every single device, including TVs, just to a lesser degree.

Get the projector in-house first, then start exploring these options. You are running before you can even crawl. With projection, there is a huge personal learning curve to what you will want.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member

I have used both my Panasonic UB420 which has static tonal mapping and the Sony X700 which hasn’t, the combination of the Panny and Epson does a brilliant job but to be honest the Epson’s HDR slider can do a bloody good job in its own right. One thing for sure it will do a much better job than any other brand bar the JVC.

If you use 4K blu-rays mostly then get yourself a Panny UB420 or a Blu-ray player that has tonal mapping built in.

soumyajit92

Novice Member
Unfortunately all i have right now is the nvidia shield tv pro and 10bit 4k hdr encodes connected to a denon x2700h.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately all i have right now is the nvidia shield tv pro and 10bit 4k hdr encodes connected to a denon x2700h.

Well the Epson built in HDR software is better than all others bar the JVC’s so it’s the best option.

soumyajit92

Novice Member
Hi guys, finalized the epson. Now i have two concerns.

1. My viewing distance is coming at 10ft and have decided to go with a 120inch screen even though i was advised for a 106inch one. Made the right choice? Brand of the screen is vuemax (i have not heard, local brand is my guess) since grandview is not in stock, and the one they have is 133inch which i cant fit. I'm attaching the brands brochure for you guys to see.

2. Projector mount is an universal one but has tilt and swivel adjustment. Heard keystone correction affects quality. Is it possible to avoid that using a budget oriented universal mount?

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Hi guys, finalized the epson. Now i have two concerns.

1. My viewing distance is coming at 10ft and have decided to go with a 120inch screen even though i was advised for a 106inch one. Made the right choice? Brand of the screen is vuemax (i have not heard, local brand is my guess) since grandview is not in stock, and the one they have is 133inch which i cant fit. I'm attaching the brands brochure for you guys to see.

2. Projector mount is an universal one but has tilt and swivel adjustment. Heard keystone correction affects quality. Is it possible to avoid that using a budget oriented universal mount?

Edited:

I read 10ft and thought that was projector distance not viewing.

1: You are absolutely fine viewing from this distance I am using a 112" Scope screen which has the same width as a 118" 16:9 screen and I'm sitting between 9ft and 9.5ft away.

2: The key is to get the projector level both left to right and front to back, after this you should be able to adjust the pivot so its square with the screen. Then all you need do use the lens shift and zoom to fill the area to the limit.

Last edited:

soumyajit92

Novice Member
I am 100% certain that if you only have 10ft between the projector lens and the screen your screen is WAY TOO BIG, the absolute max is 103" but to leave a little buffer I would say 100" which was what I used when mine was mounted at 3.08M (10ft 1inch).

Unless you can move the projector lens back to a distance of 12 foot you would be best returning the screen for a 100" one.

Sorry to give you bad news. :blush:
no no, between the screen and the lens the distance is 14ft. between me and the screen the distance is 10-11ft. I have calculated the projection online for an 120inch image. I'm asking whether 11ft is fine for 120inch viewing or not, do not want to end up with visible pixels.

Attachments

• vuemax-catalog.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
no no, between the screen and the lens the distance is 14ft. between me and the screen the distance is 10-11ft. I have calculated the projection online for an 120inch image. I'm asking whether 11ft is fine for 120inch viewing or not, do not want to end up with visible pixels.

People think they are seeing pixels at times when it's the actual quality of the movie. Put something like Lucy in either 4K or even 1080P in and you will not see any structure at all. Like I said above I'm siting only 9ft away and it's perfect.

This is a poorer quality 1080p as an example to the above images I posted.

BEBE3FD9-99FE-4AFA-9485-6555D041880E.jpeg

Now the Hobbit 3
34C12F40-70C6-4E15-AF03-3FF22C120349.jpeg

A world of difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom