BenQ W3000 motion Judder in 3D?

RiGoRmOrTiS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just recently purchased a BenQ W3000 projector and I'm in the processing of setting it up. Its a DLP-Link 6 color wheel projector and it comes with one free pair of BenQ GDG5 glasses.

When watching movies in 3D there doesn't appear to be any cross talk, but any fast movement in the scene doesn't feel smooth, this is only through 3D.. 2D looks find.

also when a scene changes I could swear I'm seeing the previous scene in one eye for a fraction of a millisecond longer than the other eye. but again, there isn't any cross talk in any scenes.

Are the glasses just not very good and I'd do better with another pair? I read a bunch of reviews on avforums and other sites who all said 3d on this projector is very good.

If I was to further explain it, if I close my left eye, movement looks smooth in the right eye, if I close my right eye, the left eye looks smooth as well. But with both eyes open movement seems off... almost like one eye is ever so slightly out of sync with another. I would be inclined to blame the glasses but when looking at the movement with the glasses off, it looks like the moving parts of the stereo image are not quite matching up.

Is there something wrong with the projector itself?

Last edited:
From a PS4, so its direct 24hz 1080p Full Frame 3D Blu-Ray. I'm moving from a smaller 55" Passive 3D LG TV which didn't exhibit these issues. Like I said, if things are moving slowly or static the image quality looks great, amazing depth and sharpness, no cross-talk etc... and individually through each lens motion looks smooth, but both eyes open together as soon as something moves quickly it almost feels like one eye is ever so slightly lagging behind the other making fast scenes very uncomfortable and jittery. which would also fit with the fact it feels like I see a previous scene in one eye for a fraction of a millisecond longer.

enabling motion compensation on the projector helps with this slightly, but that leaves you with the soap opera effect and it doesn't work well on animated content like Beauty and the Beast 3D where the hand drawn animation is of a lower framerate.

The reason I got this projector was all the reviews (AVForums included) saying its 3D was great; my old 55" TV is too far away from the sofa now to properly enjoy 3D.

has no one here with DLP 3D-Link projectors ever encountered these issues? :( or is passive 3d on TVs just way better?

Returned the projector for an Epson EHTW6700 instead. Hopefully I'll have better luck with that.

I have the W3000 since yesterday and I have the same problem with the 3D picture. I had the W1070 before and 3D was much better. Do you know which firmware you had? I have 0.23 because I have bought a used W3000, the previous owner bought it in July.

I have the W3000 since yesterday and I have the same problem with the 3D picture. I had the W1070 before and 3D was much better. Do you know which firmware you had? I have 0.23 because I have bought a used W3000, the previous owner bought it in July.

I had 0.23 also, I asked BenQ if there was an update and they said there wasn't. I think its just the way 3D is working on this projector. Its nice to hear its not a problem inherent with DLP since your previous DLP projector didn't have the problem.

I had 0.23 also, I asked BenQ if there was an update and they said there wasn't. I think its just the way 3D is working on this projector. Its nice to hear its not a problem inherent with DLP since your previous DLP projector didn't have the problem.

I used to have an Optoma hd131 DLP, the 3D was outstanding on it ( bar black levels) and motion was good, the glasses rate was some kind of 144hz triple flash which gave crosstalk free images with smoother motion from the active 3D.
My current Sonys 3D isn't as good for crosstalk although punch and blacks are better. 3D is 120hz which does show up some anomalies with motion.

LG's top flight oled E6 is apparently the best 3D tv but even at 65" does not compare to a 106" projector screen from the same distance.

I used to have an Optoma hd131 DLP, the 3D was outstanding on it ( bar black levels) and motion was good, the glasses rate was some kind of 144hz triple flash which gave crosstalk free images with smoother motion from the active 3D.
My current Sonys 3D isn't as good for crosstalk although punch and blacks are better. 3D is 120hz which does show up some anomalies with motion.

LG's top flight oled E6 is apparently the best 3D tv but even at 65" does not compare to a 106" projector screen from the same distance.

BenQ W3000 uses 144hz DLP 3D too, but is terrible for 3D. I'm just glad it seems other DLP projectors don't suffer in the same way. But on the w3000 one eye is definitely behind another, you can even see the stereo images not matching up correctly during movement with the glasses off. Just thinking off the top of my head I don't see why 144hz DLP would be better than bog standard 120hz. Considering it uses every 3rd frame to flash either red or white (depending on manufacturer), essentially cutting the visual image to 96hz? (unless I'm misunderstanding something).

even if 120hz 3D is a little juddery compared to 144hz in general I'd take it over my brain and eyes trying to work out why one of my eyes is slightly behind the other (on the W3000)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom