Benq W2700 (HT3550) - is my projector faulty?

Rairun

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I've been happy with my Benq W1070 for 5 years. And recently I bought a used W2700 (HT3550). It has been used for 15 months and shows 1123 hours in eco mode and 144 hours in normal mode. Firmware is 1.0.5.

Here are some info about my system:

The walls and the ceiling is painted with dark brown, matte paint.
120" Elite Screens white screen
PC with GTX1060 3GB gpu
Sony STR-DN1080 avr
Madvr+Mpc-Hc

I reset all the settings including picture mode settings as a first thing. I chose D. Cinema to start with. Lamp mode is always "Normal". From the first moment I had the feeling that the image was a bit dim on Windows compared to what I was used it. Then I tried a couple of SDR 1080p movies and still felt that the image was not bright enough. I also tried Cinema mode. I liked it more since it didn't feel so dim but still I wasn't impressed with the image from this projector. Then I checked some test patterns for black and white clipping. I could adjust the brightness and contrast to get rid of the clipping in separate black and white test patterns. But it was impossible to eliminate the clipping using a combined test pattern. I remember that W1070 did better on these tests.

I also tested HDR10 test patterns found on the forum. I had the same problem. (Madvr passes through the HDR mapping to the projector and the projector switches to HDR10 mode automatically.) Then I tried some UHD HDR movies. Colours definitely looked much more vivid and nice but still didn't see the "pop" I expected. The whites were still underwhelming. And reds were oversaturated. Brilliant colour was always on. Turning WCG on in HDR mode made it extremely dark and look weird. I turned it off immediately.

I don't know much about calibration and those technicalities but this HDR pattern looks like something is not OK:
20210212_201944.jpg

And this is from Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark, 2nd Edition (SDR):
20210212_203659.jpg

I tried all the different settings on Nvidia control panel: different colour formats, limited, full etc. Same with Madvr settings. I tried a lot of combinations. Nothing I did helped the clipping with those colours.

So now I wonder, can something be wrong with the projector I have? What can I do to determine the problem? Or is this simply how this model performs?

Thank for your opinions.

I had a problem (particularly with the red oversaturation with HDR) it turned out it was my AV recievers fault - a Yamaha one. I had to switch from mode 2 to 1 on Yamaha to enable 2160 HDR i 60hz .It might be worth checking if something similar applies on your Sony AVR? Even your Pc (if thats what youre using to play movies ) Also check your hdmi cables - i had to replace crappy ones with gooduns to ensure decent quality playback

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom