Benq W2700 and ALR Screen Query

Rocketrazor

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Been looking into getting a projector in the lounge as finally got the approval from the 'better half'. Looked at the Benq 6050 UST, and now out of stock and don't look like returning from Richersounds. Looking at alternatives and not sure some of them meet my requirements, plus I may have under estimated the distance it would stick out from the wall!

Now looking at possibly a Benq W2700 as the distance wall to wall in my lounge is only 3.3 mtrs. Taking into account drop down screen, as will drop in front of TV, and projector depth I think I can get a 92/100" screen from the Benq W2700 which would meet my needs. Gaming, blacks and noise is a compromise, but the 3D should be good. Not sure if I suffer from rainbow effect as never seen one before (assuming I'll notice this fairly easy on booting up and testing against the wall paper before purchasing the screen?). I can return if not suitable.

One thing I'm not sure on is the screen. Been looking at ALR grey screens as it's a lovely bright lounge and south facing (joy!), reasonably dark at night with the lights out but that wont be the case once the projector is on! I came across these two. (providing links are allowed)

Vividstorm - Drop Down ALR Screen for Standard Projectors from Keene, product code VSDROPDOWNSCREENSP

Gain 0.8
Viewing Angle 150 degrees

and the

Draper Euroscreen React 3 from IdealAV

Gain 1.0
Viewing Angle 76 degrees

From previous recollection the React screens tend to be expensive (happy to be corrected), I haven't confirmed price yet, but fundamentally, what's the likely difference between the two screens other than price? Any one know?

Cheers

Rocket

Hi All,

Been looking into getting a projector in the lounge as finally got the approval from the 'better half'. Looked at the Benq 6050 UST, and now out of stock and don't look like returning from Richersounds. Looking at alternatives and not sure some of them meet my requirements, plus I may have under estimated the distance it would stick out from the wall!

Now looking at possibly a Benq W2700 as the distance wall to wall in my lounge is only 3.3 mtrs. Taking into account drop down screen, as will drop in front of TV, and projector depth I think I can get a 92/100" screen from the Benq W2700 which would meet my needs. Gaming, blacks and noise is a compromise, but the 3D should be good. Not sure if I suffer from rainbow effect as never seen one before (assuming I'll notice this fairly easy on booting up and testing against the wall paper before purchasing the screen?). I can return if not suitable.

One thing I'm not sure on is the screen. Been looking at ALR grey screens as it's a lovely bright lounge and south facing (joy!), reasonably dark at night with the lights out but that wont be the case once the projector is on! I came across these two. (providing links are allowed)

Vividstorm - Drop Down ALR Screen for Standard Projectors from Keene, product code VSDROPDOWNSCREENSP

Gain 0.8
Viewing Angle 150 degrees

and the

Draper Euroscreen React 3 from IdealAV

Gain 1.0
Viewing Angle 76 degrees

From previous recollection the React screens tend to be expensive (happy to be corrected), I haven't confirmed price yet, but fundamentally, what's the likely difference between the two screens other than price? Any one know?

Cheers

Rocket

I'd go for Draper React. They're great, used them before. I think the most important thing re: Draper is their return policy for any fault on the screen is brilliant so their tolerances are fairly strict to what they think is a suitable product whilst other brands are a little more relaxed. I had one swapped for a fault I could not catch on camera very easily at all so its a testament to some good customer service. I'd suggest not going borderless as you can see the lines where the screen touches joins the thread/tension IMO.

I'd personally go for Epson over the DLPs to avoid RBE and because I know calibrated lumen wise, they definitely pack enough to give a stunning image. 9300/9400/LS12000 will likely be killer choices for this but if you prefer DLP, thats up to you as they are sharp.

The draper is going to be much more expensive than that Kleene screen. The linea is the better version if u can stretch to that. My diplomat is nice but the linea was built like a tank and silent in operation comparatively.

Thanks I never liked the borderless look so would also go for a border. Good to know the customer service is good though (hopefully wouldn't need it)

I'd go for the Epson 9400 as well but for two reasons, 1. throw distance is cutting it extremely fine and leaves very little for error, 2. the wife, no way am I getting that beast in the lounge :). 9300 I believe is the same size (plus 3D is not good), LS12000is far to expensive and about the same size!

I'll give Ideal a call once I've made my mind up for a quote, I can't see me spending more than the projector though! Plus I have a niggly feeling I'd be better off with UST if I can find a decent one. Just ruled out the Optoma P2 because it would fit on my current or proposed stand as needs 51cm from screen to front of projector, might not seem a lot but it is in a lounge.

Cheers for the input, much appreciated.

Are the ALR screens even an option for me at such a short distance? I read on another thread that they need a distance overwise I'm likely to get hot spots? Might have to settle for just a plain grey screen

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom