BenQ W2700 4K DLP Projector Review & Comments

When I had mine, most of the material I put through it was 4K, and it was annoyingly noisy! (also ceiling mounted right above listening position)

Thought that I would chime into the debate on NOISE

I don’t like the fact that you need to select SILENT OFF each time you use it, or for each device……

however the W2700 is INCREASINGLY NOISY for 4K material over 1080p. Playing a 4K disc on my Oppo and the noise increase … and there appears no way to change it. I’ll check later to see if it’s it ECO but this is my observations

the projector is ceiling mounted and right above our lounge.

Anyone else experiencing this with 4K ?

The projector upscales 1080p to 4k anyway, so there should be no difference in noise. Only thing that might change is if HDR10 mode is using Normal fan speed and maybe the SDR Cinema mode is using Economic, although if you change the light mode, it should remember it for next time.

The "silent" setting turns off the 4K pixel-shifter which should be no more than quiet humming sound when it is on. If there is a big difference between Silent On and Off, you may have a fault. On my unit, I can hardly tell the difference with silent on or off, the fans are louder than the pixel-shifter even in Eco mode. I agree the fan noise is too loud in Normal or Smart Eco setting, but Eco mode is about the same as other projectors I have owned, and not distracting once a movie is playing.

Has anyone ever tried boxing the unit in and adding their own form of ventilation to the box like computer fans? i appreciate you shouldn't have to, but surely there's a DIY methods to reduce the noise?

Has anyone ever tried boxing the unit in and adding their own form of ventilation to the box like computer fans? i appreciate you shouldn't have to, but surely there's a DIY methods to reduce the noise?
Can be done, Google or YouTube probably the best bet.

They are called a 'hush box', you can find various guides online. I looked into it, but decided it might be a bit obtrusive in our room. Usually they use a kind of 'maze' to baffle the sound and quieter low speed fans to maintain airflow, something like this:

1625821205457.png

Thought that I would chime into the debate on NOISE

I don’t like the fact that you need to select SILENT OFF each time you use it, or for each device……

however the W2700 is INCREASINGLY NOISY for 4K material over 1080p. Playing a 4K disc on my Oppo and the noise increase … and there appears no way to change it. I’ll check later to see if it’s it ECO but this is my observations

the projector is ceiling mounted and right above our lounge.

Anyone else experiencing this with 4K ?

I've not noticed an increase in noise between resolutions, but do check it's in Eco - I find this projector to be unusably noisy in any other mode.

The other thing it doesn't deal well with is ambient temperature - as soon as the room its 25C in the summer, the W2700 really roars, whatever mode it is in.

Iif I didn't;t have it all set up and dialled in, I'd probably change for an Optoma. I prefer the image of the Benq, but the Optomas don't seem nearly as noisy.

Hi
I bought this projector. I'll get it in 2 days.

Please help.

The projector will be installed upside down.
The screen size is 100 inches.
The distance of the lens from the screen is exactly 3064mm.
I need to get the bottom edge of the screen min. 980mm.

At what exact height do I need to mount the projector?
Can someone check me out please?

Hi

Please help.

When I had one of these the bottom edge of the 110" screen was 940mm from the floor, the PJ was mounted at 2.2M from the floor! I have 2.7M ceilings so had to get a ceiling mount with a 'dropper' to make it work. This is the mount I used, (not the cheapest out there admittedly)

When I had one of these the bottom edge of the 110" screen was 940mm from the floor, the PJ was mounted at 2.2M from the floor! I have 2.7M ceilings so had to get a ceiling mount with a 'dropper' to make it work. This is the mount I used, (not the cheapest out there admittedly)

this height is 2.2M to the center of the lens or the bottom of the projector?

this height is 2.2M to the center of the lens or the bottom of the projector?
This was to the bottom of the PJ - as I did not keep the measurements from the W2700 this was the specs of my current W5700! To the centre of lens add 90mm to the above. NOTE the W2700 does have some vertical lens shift that will help with the setting BUT it does not have horizontal lens shift which is a bit of a pain :(

Hi

Please help.

What you need is

BenQ Projector Calculator

…but I did it for you. The lens should be 2225mm from the ground. Measure your ceiling height so you can work out what drop you need.

The projector has a bit of vertical adjustment, so you don’t need to be accurate to the exact mm. As nadge63 says, the horizontal adjustment can actually be more difficult as the adjustment is only what is possible with the ceiling mount, but you can enter all the room dimensions in the calculator.

F87165FF-9580-4A2A-9A48-E82D00AF6CBB.jpeg

Best buy Benq or LG?
I don't know. Best to just read the reviews and see which one fits your needs the best, and try them out at home if you can.

Hi
I already have the W2700. A good choice.

But I have a problem.
I have:
-Lenovo Y540 (integrated graphics card + gtx 1660ti, HDMI 2.0 output supporting 4K60Hz)
- HDMI 2.0 cables
-W2700 has software 1.0.5

Unfortunately, I can't set the signal on a 4K60Hz projector, only 4K30Hz.
Any advice?

I have a w2000 and am looking to upgrade to 4K, am I being hopelessly optimistic in hoping that this would be a simple upgrade?

ceiling mounted in the centre of the room using a touch of vertical lens Shift

I have a w2000 and am looking to upgrade to 4K, am I being hopelessly optimistic in hoping that this would be a simple upgrade?

ceiling mounted in the centre of the room using a touch of vertical lens Shift

I upgraded from a W2000. Basically a straight swap - zoom and lens shift are almost identical so didn’t have to move my mount at all. Bear in mind you may need to replace your HDMI cable for 4K if you have a long run to your player.

I future proofed with a 4K cable when we did the ceiling mounting two years ago, so I’m hoping this can be a simple swap

This is on my radar. Only thing that is putting me off is the fan noise.
It will be in a totally dark bedroom with is 9.9ft square. Will the noise be to much for such a small room?

I had similar concerns, but genuinely I don't really hear it (or I am used to it) - I keep it in eco mode. I am projecting onto a 120" screen and just get sucked into my movies and I really don't hear it.

My room is roughly 4m x 4m.

Saying that, if you go looking for it, you will hear it. But I am a happy camper.

This is on my radar. Only thing that is putting me off is the fan noise.
It will be in a totally dark bedroom with is 9.9ft square. Will the noise be to much for such a small room?
If you listen for it, you will hear it - then you'll not be able to un-hear it!

I find the W2700 fan noise is fine (in Eco Mode) most of the time. I can hear it in quiet scenes, but can just about zone it out even though it is mounted about 3ft above my sitting position.

The W2700 does not like high ambient temperatures at all, and the fan really starts roaring when the room gets over about 25C. That may sound obvious (the fan doing it's job), but my old W1070 was not nearly as loud in the heat, despite the 'baseline' level of noise being about the same.

It's annoying for me as I have to have it mounted not far from a radiator, so I get elevated fan noise in the depths of winter as well as the height of summer. It's great at the moment with the ambient temperature in the room at about 23C. When we had the heatwave a few weeks ago I stopped using it for a while.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom