BenQ W2700 4K DLP Projector Review & Comments

haxel666

Standard Member
Is it possible my cable before I ask for replacement?
It's a new cable and It looks well made I can't find a bad review of it.
Also do you think I should only go for one made from October 2019 onwards and if they can't get that date then to not get that projector.? Thanks.

haxel666

Standard Member
The company I brought from will give me a replacement if I call them on Monday they suggest I call benq first optionally just to find out what is wrong exactly if they know of a firmware fix or something else.

But from reading on here I'm already on latest firmware and it seems others have the same issue so can't see them doing much
But I'll probally ring just to see what they say.

What I'm worried about is getting a new replacement it working for a few weeks then going wrong I'll be then having to wait weeks for benq to fix I went through that with the w1070 it was getting dust on lens sent back 2 times and was along turnaround.

I see lots of users are happy with the uhd51 although it's going to be a picture downgrade and the light border might be annoying I have a screen with black border maybe it wouldn't be to bad.

I like the idea of a working replacement most but just worried it might be ongoing nightmare.

Thanks for supporting me here on this.

nadg63

Standard Member
1.05 is the latest Firmware version, so that's it.

Never seen a UHD51 so cannot comment. I've been watching the Lord of the Rings movies over the weekend, Blu-ray via PS4 thru Yamaha Rx and 7.2 speakers, no sound issues from the W2700.

haxel666

Standard Member
I seen on the previous pages here that other users have had 2-3 replacements and still have the issue even with models from 2020.

And other users don't have any issues so it's like a lottery.

Unless it's a hdmi issue???

If I had to pick an optoma uhd51 vs uhd52alv as replacement should I go for uhd51 as the color wheel would be better suited for movies. Even though older projector. I don't care about smart features.
And I always watch with curtains closed and dark red ceiling and walls

Last edited:

haxel666

Standard Member
I plugged with different hdmi cable directly into projector without av receiver and still doing the split image darker one side etc and on ps4 pro directly into it. Using good quality 4k cables which work perfect on my 4k TV.

So that is 100 percent projector.

Drezic

I seen on the previous pages here that other users have had 2-3 replacements and still have the issue even with models from 2020.

And other users don't have any issues so it's like a lottery.

Unless it's a hdmi issue???

If I had to pick an optoma uhd51 vs uhd52alv as replacement should I go for uhd51 as the color wheel would be better suited for movies. Even though older projector. I don't care about smart features.
And I always watch with curtains closed and dark red ceiling and walls

hmmm... from 3 recent w2700 i've unboxed not one was more recent then September 2019 (rev 3 or rev 4, different store and date of purchase ) and i also never heard of any comment in forums with a date after that.

About the split screen, it's a well documented bug, no luck, as i said before.

haxel666

Standard Member
Optoma released a firmware fix for this problem split screen sync for 2 of their projectors.

Benq when I told them about it and asked if they would do the same as optoma didn't comment and said I would need to send to an engineer and they knew nothing of the issue.

The problem even happens without hdmi cable via USB media player.

I seen the screenshots of it happening on the optoma which have been given a fix lucky for them.

Benq I sent back.

Drezic

Optoma released a firmware fix for this problem split screen sync for 2 of their projectors.

Benq when I told them about it and asked if they would do the same as optoma didn't comment and said I would need to send to an engineer and they knew nothing of the issue.

The problem even happens without hdmi cable via USB media player.

I seen the screenshots of it happening on the optoma which have been given a fix lucky for them.

Benq I sent back.
haha... all the professional reviews had this bug last year, they never did manage to fix it completely.
Even the new TK850 has the same bug wich is weird.

I'm lucky, my W2700 (sept 2019 rev3) is (almost) not bugged, it didn't happen while watching a movie.
But i did manage to see the bug a minute or two when i was playing wih the settings (wide color and different modes) and suddenly all my image was split in 2 with the famous bug.

All 3 W2700 i bought new... where opened and flashed by benq to firmware 1.5 with an official benQ sticker....so they are now flashing all units before sending them to stores, because the firmware 1.5 came out AFTER september 2019 (it was 1.3 back then).
And as i said, the weird part is that i did't see once a w2700 with produciton date after September and rev xx4... like if they stopped production or something.

i would ask for a replacement if i was you.
the optoma won't be better

haxel666

Standard Member
I can't risk it as they said no control over what version is sent to me and if the problem happened again I would need to send to benq which I had all that hassle before was long turnaround

I'm aware benq picture is superior to the optoma just the issue is really annoying it is everytime for me and when telling benq their support to me was not very good.

They didn't want to admit to the issue.

Last edited:

haxel666

Standard Member
So I got the optoma uhd51 and it looks like my older benq w1070.
And compared to the benq 2700 its picture would be a 5 out of 10 for me with benq w2700 being 10
but its quiet and i dont have split screen glitch.
I dont know if i can take the picture quality drop i might have to get benq w2700 back and hope i get a good one or just get used to glitch.

Sandra51

I have the 51A and I cannot believe that anyone would not like the quality of the picture on it, even if they were used to a more expensive projector.

haxel666

Standard Member
Sandra51, I'm sorry It is not a bad picture but compared to the benq 2700 its got so much less detail.
To be honest everyone i showed can see it also its like comparing HD resolution to 4k Resolution.
But the uhd51 is older technology. And its quieter and doesnt have that annoying bug with screen splitting. Also the light border thing I couldnt even see on my projector screen with a black border.
Just the overall image with any setting i tried is inferior. But still if i had not seen the benq i would of been happy with the optoma. And another plus point for your optoma is the 3d looks amazing.

Sandra51

Thanks for explaining the difference but it sounds unbelievable to me that anything could have more detail, I can not even imagine how a true 8K projector could improve on it as I am blown away with my picture, but I am coming from a 12 month gap of having no projector since my old HD600X packed up so even a 1080p projector would probably be amazing after that :D

I must try and see a Benq 2700 in action as I would have got the Benq 2700 if it had had a similar throw ratio to the Optoma but I would have had to have it closer to the screen, or get a bigger screen, which I can not really fit in my room at the moment. I have never noticed the the light border either, so my black border must handle that OK like yours does and as you say it is very quiet.

The only thing I have a problem with is getting the wi fi to work, but as I do not need it I haven't spent that long trying to make it work and it would be nice if they could make it easy to switch into 1080p mode when watching 3D instead of having to change the output from the source.

haxel666

Standard Member
Yes you would need to see it to really see the difference but personally my wife and kids found the difference massive.
Even with older movies not in 4k the benq made them look so much better.
And the BBC wildlife 4k documentary on benq look so crystal clear compared to optoma. But I would be happy with your optoma still it's a good projector and the noise level of the benq really needs a hush box or something loudest projector I heard. 😂

Regtastical

I bought the W2700 as my first projector. I am totally blown away by it. I was worried about the noise, but I can say I am happy with it. In quiet scenes I am focused on the movie I don’t hear it, if that makes sense. Also, the heat it gives off, going to need an AC unit installed too ;-)

I am just running it on top of my bookshelf, but it does need ceiling mounted. So that Is my next project. I’ve never installed a PJ Or a screen so going to measure measure measure and drill once lol. The plan is to convert the room into a batcave over time with Atmos, etc.

All in all, I am thrilled with this purchase. The kids love it too and that makes me even more content. :clap:

Jezzzzz

Novice Member
I bought the W2700 as my first projector. I am totally blown away by it. I was worried about the noise, but I can say I am happy with it. In quiet scenes I am focused on the movie I don’t hear it, if that makes sense. Also, the heat it gives off, going to need an AC unit installed too ;-)

I am just running it on top of my bookshelf, but it does need ceiling mounted. So that Is my next project. I’ve never installed a PJ Or a screen so going to measure measure measure and drill once lol. The plan is to convert the room into a batcave over time with Atmos, etc.

All in all, I am thrilled with this purchase. The kids love it too and that makes me even more content. :clap:
I’m happy with mine, but being in a loft it is like an oven when it’s on and the split screen glitch is frustrating. I think I’ll be giving them a call this week to see about a replacement. Make sure to post photos of your final setup :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020

Trending threads

Top Bottom