BenQ W2700 4K DLP Projector Review & Comments

Hi
The W2700 is factory calibrated. After uploading the latest software available on the manufacturer's website, do you lose these calibration settings?

Hi
The W2700 is factory calibrated. After uploading the latest software available on the manufacturer's website, do you lose these calibration settings?
No, but re the factory calibration, remember that is calibrated to 'their' viewing standards, so whilst it is pretty good out of the box it can be improved upon by getting a professional calibration done in your own HT! Depends if you consider it a worthwhile exercise/expense on a PJ in that price bracket.

Hello
I have some questions

1) I installed the mounting bracket near the center of the "Center of Gravity". Is it correct?

20210816_221752.jpg

20210816_221812.jpg

2) I want to hang the projector to the ceiling with just this one screw. Will this screw support the full weight of the projecotr?

20210816_221820.jpg

Noise

Projector is mounted upside down.
60dB noise is generated in normal lamp mode.

Do you have that too?

Noise

Projector is mounted upside down.
60dB noise is generated in normal lamp mode.

Do you have that too?

I've never measured it on mine, but I wouldn't be surprised. Normal lamp mode is unusable for me because it runs so loud. Eco is ok until the weather gets warm and then that gets too loud as well.

It's the one downside of any otherwise excellent projector for me.

I've never measured it on mine, but I wouldn't be surprised. Normal lamp mode is unusable for me because it runs so loud. Eco is ok until the weather gets warm and then that gets too loud as well.

It's the one downside of any otherwise excellent projector for me.
Do you have the option to measure the dB?
Even with the phone app.

Was the Brilliant Color option enabled for the review for SDR & HDR?

Apparently this brings colour accuracy down but increases the brightness, I’m kinda town between leaving mine on or off 🤔

Hi All, recently had an issue with my W2700 where the bottom 1/5th dark banding had started to happen as well as the projector not switching the projection on until I kept pressing the power button on remote for a good 30 seconds or so.
As the projector was still under warranty I sent it to BenQ where I was advised it will be repaired and spare parts were awaited before it being sent back to me. However completely out of the blue I received a call from BenQ on Tuesday that I will receive a replacement unit! No further explanations. The replacement unit arrived yesterday, works fine. Less noisy. But with 72 hours already on the lamp. (Mine had done over 2000 hours when I had sent it in)
Is this unusual?
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Thanks.

Hi All, recently had an issue with my W2700 where the bottom 1/5th dark banding had started to happen as well as the projector not switching the projection on until I kept pressing the power button on remote for a good 30 seconds or so.
As the projector was still under warranty I sent it to BenQ where I was advised it will be repaired and spare parts were awaited before it being sent back to me. However completely out of the blue I received a call from BenQ on Tuesday that I will receive a replacement unit! No further explanations. The replacement unit arrived yesterday, works fine. Less noisy. But with 72 hours already on the lamp. (Mine had done over 2000 hours when I had sent it in)
Is this unusual?
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Thanks.
Sounds like your unit had some serious issues so they didn't bother fixing it!?

When my W2700 started having hissy fits I returned it to BenQ and they sent me a 'loaner' to use that belonged to them. When they contacted me to say mine was fixed, (new HDMI board). I was given the option of keeping the loan unit or having mine back - I went with getting mine back.

Footnote:- not long after it went mental again, this time it went back to BenQ and stayed there.

Sounds like your unit had some serious issues so they didn't bother fixing it!?

When my W2700 started having hissy fits I returned it to BenQ and they sent me a 'loaner' to use that belonged to them. When they contacted me to say mine was fixed, (new HDMI board). I was given the option of keeping the loan unit or having mine back - I went with getting mine back.

Footnote:- not long after it went mental again, this time it went back to BenQ and stayed there.
It did surprise me. As at no point in my communications with them they mentioned it was not repairable.
Let’s hope this one lasts a bit longer. Luckily I do have the 6 year Richersounds warranty. 😅

It did surprise me. As at no point in my communications with them they mentioned it was not repairable.
Let’s hope this one lasts a bit longer. Luckily I do have the 6 year Richersounds warranty. 😅
I'm in Australia so not sure what the Richersounds warranty is but sounds like a good thing.

These days I have a W5700, but to be honest, when it was working properly I was happy with my W2700!

Hello everyone,
My mancave/ theater was under going some maintenance (new paint job) hence I packed everything away and now when the paint job is done I connected and fired up my projector only to notice something I had never seen before is the noticeable (in the bright scenes) a rainbow sort of one quarter of a ring at the top right corner of the screen. I restarted my PJ and nothing seemed to solve it. Initially it looked some sort of a stain on my screen which wouldn't make sense as my motorized screen was tucked away. It is very annoying and I hope someone can help/guide me in this regard.
Thanks
I am also attaching the image for reference, the artifacting is faint but of you look closely and carefully in the marked area you can see it.

Attachments

• 20211126_094950.jpg
    20211126_094950.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 100
Hello everyone,
My mancave/ theater was under going some maintenance (new paint job) hence I packed everything away and now when the paint job is done I connected and fired up my projector only to notice something I had never seen before is the noticeable (in the bright scenes) a rainbow sort of one quarter of a ring at the top right corner of the screen. I restarted my PJ and nothing seemed to solve it. Initially it looked some sort of a stain on my screen which wouldn't make sense as my motorized screen was tucked away. It is very annoying and I hope someone can help/guide me in this regard.
Thanks
I am also attaching the image for reference, the artifacting is faint but of you look closely and carefully in the marked area you can see it.
I can see across the whole photo.. Did you wipe your lens with some liquid that stayed on it?

I can see across the whole photo.. Did you wipe your lens with some liquid that stayed on it?
No not really. When I saw this pattern I just used a dry tissue paper to rule out the possibility of something on the lens cover. But the "artifact" remained.

No not really. When I saw this pattern I just used a dry tissue paper to rule out the possibility of something on the lens cover. But the "artifact" remained.

You maybe be seeing this across the entire picture because it is a DLP PJ and it the picture was taken by my cell phone so the rainbow effect is more visible when viewed through the lens of camera. But if you look at the area I highlighted in colour red it looks sort of a like a "wavy" pattern as opposed to the rainbow lines of the DLP projector.

You maybe be seeing this across the entire picture because it is a DLP PJ and it the picture was taken by my cell phone so the rainbow effect is more visible when viewed through the lens of camera. But if you look at the area I highlighted in colour red it looks sort of a like a "wavy" pattern as opposed to the rainbow lines of the DLP projector.
I think you might have hair or something in the light path, by time it's blown up by the lens, it would just look like a bit of distortion. Maybe there for a while but dislodged when you took it down. The light path on DLP projectors is supposed to be sealed, but nothing is perfect.

If you are lucky, it's not actually inside the DLP module, just the optics, so you could try an air duster (can of compressed air) and try to blow through the vents.

I think you might have hair or something in the light path, by time it's blown up by the lens, it would just look like a bit of distortion. Maybe there for a while but dislodged when you took it down. The light path on DLP projectors is supposed to be sealed, but nothing is perfect.

If you are lucky, it's not actually inside the DLP module, just the optics, so you could try an air duster (can of compressed air) and try to blow through the vents.
I don't want to risk it by opening it up. Can this be done from outside without opening? I searched for a servicing/teardown video of my projector but had no luck. If it's not too complicated and if there is decent video that can followed I may try this OR wait for the vendor to pick it up. The problem with the vendor is their customer support SUCKS! The PJ would be lying in the workshop for days and days and I will be the one calling them and reminding them etc. I had encountered 2 issues prior to this and the vendor was not able to deduce where the problem was ( just like those IT tech support guys, Sir Turn this On...... and turn that Off, Sir have you tried this..... have you tried that......) meaning wasting time with nothing conclusive. It was YOU wonderful people at AVS forums who have helped me sitting continents apart and especially @Joe Fernand who is extremely humble and helpful every single time whenever I ask him regarding technical issues.

I don't want to risk it by opening it up. Can this be done from outside without opening? I searched for a servicing/teardown video of my projector but had no luck. If it's not too complicated and if there is decent video that can followed I may try this OR wait for the vendor to pick it up. The problem with the vendor is their customer support SUCKS! The PJ would be lying in the workshop for days and days and I will be the one calling them and reminding them etc. I had encountered 2 issues prior to this and the vendor was not able to deduce where the problem was ( just like those IT tech support guys, Sir Turn this On...... and turn that Off, Sir have you tried this..... have you tried that......) meaning wasting time with nothing conclusive. It was YOU wonderful people at AVS forums who have helped me sitting continents apart and especially @Joe Fernand who is extremely humble and helpful every single time whenever I ask him regarding technical issues.
Yes, that's what I mean, just blow it through the vents, and maybe around the outside of the lens if that doesn't help. A can of air duster usually comes with a thin tube that should fit through the vents and past the fan blades. I wouldn't open it up though, especially if still in warranty.

Actually you could just try blasting it with the internal fans and see if that can shift it. Set the projector to inverted, high altitude mode and high lamp power and the fans will hit top speed. Maybe you will be lucky!

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I mean, just blow it through the vents, and maybe around the outside of the lens if that doesn't help. A can of air duster usually comes with a thin tube that should fit through the vents and past the fan blades. I wouldn't open it up though, especially if still in warranty.

Actually you could just try blasting it with the internal fans and see if that can shift it. Set the projector to inverted, high altitude mode and high lamp power and the fans will hit top speed. Maybe you will be lucky!
Hi there, I did try High Altitude mode, set the Lamp Mode to Normal (which is actually high), but that did not solve. However that artifact went away by itself when I watched a 2 hour movie by itself.
It looks like the foreign object in the light path shifted itself away from that path.
Thanks for suggestion though.
Thanks to @Joe Fernand for all the guidance.
Just a quick question though, should I still contact my vendor for service or leave it (I still have an almost years warranty left (1 year gone and 1 remains).

If whatever was in the light path has dislodged I would not be looking for a service.

Ensure you read the user manual to understand how often you should be cleaning or replacing the air filter on the projector.

Joe

Have had this projector in mind as an upgrade for some time now and have recently got back into gaming, albeit only casual. Any owners who game out there who can comment on the input lag for gaming on this projector from a user experience. Not a serious gamer by any stretch of the imagination and rarely if ever play multi player shooters so will the lag be of any concern?

I game on mine mate a lot, it's fine for gaming, I'm no fast reflex multiplayer gamer, but game a lot Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Guardians of the Galaxy, all fine on the BenQ, look spectacular as well

I game on mine mate a lot, it's fine for gaming, I'm no fast reflex multiplayer gamer, but game a lot Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Guardians of the Galaxy, all fine on the BenQ, look spectacular as well
That's good to know, the w2700 should be a direct replacement for my in situ w1070 without the need to re-site mount etc. Will be purchasing next week and have been holding off watching any films over Xmas period to view on new pj.

I have had quite a few issues over past few years with this projector. Recently again getting the split screen issue with a line down the centre, quite a bad blue hue in the screen and also it's much noisier than the w1070. Going to get around to placing a sound box around it at some point but may be contacting RS Glasgow to have a chat about repair.

Anyone got a good pic of close up of the test bars to see if they have a similar blue outline?

I have had quite a few issues over past few years with this projector. Recently again getting the split screen issue with a line down the centre, quite a bad blue hue in the screen and also it's much noisier than the w1070. Going to get around to placing a sound box around it at some point but may be contacting RS Glasgow to have a chat about repair.

Anyone got a good pic of close up of the test bars to see if they have a similar blue outline?

The split line issue was solved for me after firmware update, it still happens very briefly when changing sources now and then but resolves itself within a few seconds.
However its bloody noisy, which is my main complaint about this pj, can ruin a quiet scene in a movie.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom