Quantcast

BenQ W2700 4K DLP Projector Review & Comments

Idle Bull

Could be my next upgrade, from the my W1070 which has served me well.

Any idea how the fan noise compares? As that was always one of the bugbears on the W1070.

big boss

Does it do 3D?

LotusElan

Does it do 3D?
Picture Mode
Bright / Vivid TV / Cinema (Rec. 709) / D. Cinema / Silence / User 1 (HDR / HLG / ISF Night / ISF Day / 3D*)

3D Compatibility‎
Yes

* In 3D Mode: Resolution is 1920x1080 in 3D Mode.

big boss

How's 3D performance?

Mallardo

Fan noise is about the same at 32db.
Wow. I honestly don't know how people can live with that level of fan noise. I know that with a good sound system you won't notice it during louder scenes but It would drive me crazy in the quieter bits.
Mind you my projector is right over my head in a small room so that probably is a factor.

big boss

No idea as the projector wasn't supplied with 3D glasses.
It's a shame when manufacturers don't bother to send 3D glasses along with their projectors for review.

Can I suggest that the review team keeps some generic 3D glasses for reviews? They're not expensive at all, and will immensely help people interested in 3D performance.

Idle Bull

Fan noise is about the same at 32db.
Thanks for replying. I can live with it, but was hoping for slightly quieter. (Although no one in the familly seem to notice it, and I onyl notice it later at night when I need to restrict the overall volume when everone is in bed :))

Idle Bull

Wow. I honestly don't know how people can live with that level of fan noise. I know that with a good sound system you won't notice it during louder scenes but It would drive me crazy in the quieter bits.
Mind you my projector is right over my head in a small room so that probably is a factor.
Out of interest, what projector do you use and how quiet is it?

The_Wierd

Makasu

Novice Member
Just Projectors are selling it for £1229.

Mallardo

Out of interest, what projector do you use and how quiet is it?
I have a Sanyo PLV-Z2000, it is an older model produced about 10 years ago that I got second hand. It is 19db in eco mode, which is practically silent.
Because it is specifically designed as a home cinema projector it is bigger and less bright than multimedia projectors like the Benq, which is why it is so much quieter, but not much use if you need a bright, portable projector.

The_Wierd

One thing I noted in the review, Phil says that the Dynamic Iris is either on or off. If that's the case, then the model tested had the original firmware. There is a later firmware released that allows DI to be set to low/medium/high and fixes a lot of other issues. I haven't tried to calibrate mine, but the CMS controls do seem to visibly modify the picture, so maybe it is fixed by the update. I read a few reviews that say the 'Brilliant Colour' feature (which is not unique to this model) seems to mess up calibration, and people had to turn that off to use the CMS effectively.

daveb975

I've had one of these since they first came out and it is a solid upgrade to the W1070 I had before.

2D PQ is a good step-up and 3D is as good. Feed it the 'right' 4K material and it looks quite stunning for the money.

I can get away with running mine in Eco mode (completely dark room but not bat-cave) and I find the noise relatively acceptable. It is about the same level as the W1070 but a slightly different pitch which I don't find quite so obtrusive.

There are only a few downsides:
1. The software seems a bit buggy, but this is supposed to be fixed in firmware. I've obviously not been that bothered by it to upgrade yet.

2. The Dynamic Iris seemed a bit clicky on mine. Again, I'm hoping the new firmware will improve this, and it is supposed to give it different levels rather than just on or off.

3. The lens on mine isn't as perfect as the one in the review. There is definitely some CA and the bottom right hand corner is not as sharp as the rest of the screen. This is only noticeable when I have the Apple TV menu showing AND I am right up close to the screen. Definitely not noticeable at viewing distance for me.

4. Sample variation seems rife according to feedback I've seen on other forums. There's no chance I'd be returning mine for the very minor issues after seeing some of the horror stories I have heard. On the upside, BenQ customer service is supposed to be excellent.

bertha

I've had mine a couple of months now - having circled the epson w9400 for a good while but as I have to use this as a coffee table number (my ceiling is simply too high and my rear wall is a mile away) I couldn't go for that behemoth (sadly) but my disappointment was made up for by this bargain - I have the w1070 now on bedroom duties which is a bit of a luxury :) this is definitely a step up, not a massive leap but a good solid stride...
Noise for me when you are in the film or whatever doesn't intrude..I've noticed a bit of iris flicker but I'm also on the default firmware the update is supposed to correct this - 3D is good. Sky Q looks decent - blu ray looks great, PS4 and Netflix look pukka and UHD is the biz for such a well priced pj..this will keep me going till the dust settles on all the 4K issues that are still kicking around...

SonOfSJ

How's 3D performance?
No idea as the projector wasn't supplied with 3D glasses.
It's a shame when manufacturers don't bother to send 3D glasses along with their projectors for review.

Can I suggest that the review team keeps some generic 3D glasses for reviews? They're not expensive at all, and will immensely help people interested in 3D performance.
Putting "active shutter universal 3D glasses" into eBay's search bar takes you to several examples, such as these for only £16, though I do notice that there are now much fewer 3D glasses on eBay than there were even as recently as a year ago. I'll be hanging on to all my 15 pairs of 3D glasses!

Last edited:

garyc

Hi,
does anyone now the differences between the w2700 and the BenQ TK800M & Benq w1720? I did check the specs but other than throw distance nothing much jumped out?

thx

Abacus

800 has a more basic colour wheel, older 0.47 DLP Chip, no lens shift, no dynamic iris, no WCG, limited input support and lesser quality lens.
1720 no lens shift, no dynamic iris, no WCG, limited input support, lesser quality lens and I believe the older 0.47 DLP Chipset.

Idle Bull

I have a Sanyo PLV-Z2000, it is an older model produced about 10 years ago that I got second hand. It is 19db in eco mode, which is practically silent.
Because it is specifically designed as a home cinema projector it is bigger and less bright than multimedia projectors like the Benq, which is why it is so much quieter, but not much use if you need a bright, portable projector.
Thanks, 19dB sounds good. I use my Benq in ECO, so it's a bit quieter, but I do sometimes wish for silence. :)

davidhunter

I have the projector. Just noticed a firmware update but I have downloaded it, unzipped the file to a usb stick but cannot get the projector to upgrade the firmware. Can see the files etc. but nothing uploads. Anyone else having this problem?

Also on a test pattern page does anyone see the faint blue outline on the white grid? Didn't have that on my old W1070 ! Pretty noisy machine as well !

daveb975

Also on a test pattern page does anyone see the faint blue outline on the white grid? Didn't have that on my old W1070 ! Pretty noisy machine as well !
You are seeing Chromatic Aberration, and I have been led to believe this is caused by the lens rather than anything else, so firmware will not fix it unfortunately.

Can you see it from your seating position? On mine, it is clearly visible close up, both on the grid and on white text on my Apple TV menu, but I can’t see it once I move more than a few feet away.

My understanding is that there is a lot of sample variation on this, affecting focus, CA, noise levels etc. It is worth searching ‘HT3550’ which is the US name for the W2700 as there seem to be a lot more users over there.