BenQ W1400 3D DLP Projector Review & Comments

Do you calibrate your review projectors for 3D as well? I ask because your review of the Optoma HD25 was great but the out of the box 3D settings were so bad that you couldn't actually watch it with any great belief. A great disc to test 3D on (as you probably know) is Oz The Great And Powerful as it starts in black and white and then goes into colour. On the HD25 out of the box settings, the B&W section was actually green tinted so it had to be calibrated manually to get rid of this. At the same time, the colour part of the film looked good - until you compared them when calibrated - the out of the box setting (which is retained) now gives everything a yellow tint whilst the calibrated settings are pretty good...Apologise if going off the beaten track on this particular PJ but I'm curious as to whether you calibrate for 3D or not...

As the owner of a Panasonic PTAE3000, how would this compare for black level performance?

I know it's not a strong point of 'budget' DLPs, but I wonder of technology has progressed to such a degree that an new Benq 1400 is at least 'as good as' my 4+ year old Panny (I don't use the Dynamic Iris, btw)?

I'm after better convergence, motion handling and good 3D, so considering the DLP route as an alternative for my living room set up (not batcave).

I haven't seen the PT-AE3000 in a long time but I'm sure the black levels are at least comparable and the W1400 will certainly deliver all the benefits you mention.

Hi Steve, thanks for another great review! As I'm on a budget I have decided on the benq w1300 after reading your review on it earlier in the year, in your opinion is there much difference between the 1300 & the 1300? I

Supposed to say 1400 & the 1300? I've got a really good deal on the 1300 with a ceiling mount so just wanted to ask for your valid opinion before I buy.
Thanks
Mark

No there isn't much difference, both projectors are great and if you go for the W1300 I'm sure you'll be pleased.

just 2 questions, how are the 1300/1400 about the rbe?
for the same price, should be better a refurb optoma hd87 or a new benq 1300/1400? thanks

What screen would you recommend for this projector considering the price point?

hows the input lag for gaming on this projector?

been hearing its at around 63ms compared to the W1300 which is at around 34ms. Did you by any chance run any input lag tests?

Hi, I'm considering buying this projector, but for the life of me cannot find what model the glasses required for RF sync are. Could you tell me what the glasses that come with the projector are and also if there are any alternatives? Many Thanks

So its actually DLP link for 3D, I thought this projector had an RF emitter?

Yes I thought that was confusing too & judging by the reviews on Amazon the glasses don't sound great!

Reading the Benq W1400 manual it doesn't mention anything about the type of 3D sync, I've emailed Benq and I'll report back if I get a response. I really wanted this projector but reading reviews of DLP link 3D I think I may have to find an alternative

The reviews on Amazon are mainly complaints about the battery being dead on arrival, and the ones that work seem to say they are great so it is a bit misleading

I and many others seem to have them for the Benq W1070 and they work fantastically well.

Just had a response from Benq

Thank you for contacting BenQ.

We can confirm that the projector model W1400 uses DLP link type glasses.

Might be worth updating the review to reflect that, as the RF type glasses were what headed me towards the W1400. Although I've still gone ahead and pulled the trigger anyway, so hopefully I haven't made a mistake.

I'm considering to buy W1300 or W1400, tending towards the former. I've demoed both yet it would be interesting to read another opinion on the W1400 once you set it up.

I might have missed out some setting, or used a cheap HDMI cable, or my Sony 5100 blueray player is not good enought....3D performance on W1400, fast movement part, like kind of blur. Got the "OZ The Great n Powerful" blueray 3D disc. When the monkey flipping it's wings, or even looking at the legs when oz was walking, it's not smooth....kind of blur....not like when watching 3D in a cinema, using 3D passive glasses, which is smooth although, there's saying passive glasses not giving 1080p but 1080i. Had project on a matt white wall in my living room. What did I miss....it's not like what Steve's review saying W1400 3D is superb. Anyone please advise, tks.

I might have missed out some setting, or used a cheap HDMI cable, or my Sony 5100 blueray player is not good enought....3D performance on W1400, fast movement part, like kind of blur. Got the "OZ The Great n Powerful" blueray 3D disc. When the monkey flipping it's wings, or even looking at the legs when oz was walking, it's not smooth....kind of blur....not like when watching 3D in a cinema, using 3D passive glasses, which is smooth although, there's saying passive glasses not giving 1080p but 1080i. Had project on a matt white wall in my living room. What did I miss....it's not like what Steve's review saying W1400 3D is superb. Anyone please advise, tks.
Do you think it could be your glasses? I keep hearing that cheaper ones are not as good.

Do you think it could be your glasses? I keep hearing that cheaper ones are not as good.
Hi lloydread, thanks for suggesting. I got the problem solved yesterday. I've setted the 'Disable' to 'Invert' in the 3D mode option.
I'm using the Benq New Glasses II(Rechargeable). These glasses are ok for my wife and daughter.....but abit tight for my big head therefore causing me head discomfort, Ha....
Saw the SainSoinc Rainbow 3D glass on youtube, that glass frame looks flexible enough n should not b too tight for my head. Anyone any suggest on which sainsonic glasses should I take, as long it's 144hz rite? Tks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom