BenQ W1300 3D DLP Projector Reviewer's Recommended Best Settings

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Steve Withers, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
    Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,622
    Disclaimer: The settings below are supplied for information purposes only. We make no guarantee that using the adjustments below will improve your TV's picture, they may even make it look worse. Every TV, even from the same manufacturer and model number will vary, as will the environment the TV is used in. For further information on how to set up your TV, please follow the steps in our Picture Perfect campaign.

To find a professional calibrator near you, see our Custom Installer and Calibrator Directory.

You can read the review here: BenQ W1300

Preset Mode: Cinema

Brightness: 52

Contrast: 45

Colour: 50

Tint: 50

Sharpness: 8

Colour Temperature: Warm

Lamp Power: Economic

Advanced

Clarity Control: 0

Colour Temperature Fine Tuning: (Red Gain 93, Green 98, Blue 100; Red Offset 256, Green 256, Blue 256)

Gamma Selection: 2.5

Brilliant Colour: Off

Colour Management: (Red - H 46, G 50, S 49; Green - H 50, G 48, S 55; Blue - H50, G 50, S 50; Cyan - H 58, G 50, S 50; Magenta - H69, G 50, S 50; Yellow - H 62, G 50, S 46)

2. Memino

Memino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As always, enjoyed reading your review. Thanks a lot for this mate, good reference for when I calibrate mine. You don't happen to have your 3D settings do you? Would be much appreciated.

3. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
    Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,622
    Sorry, I didn't make a note of the 3D settings.

4. sapperjohn

sapperjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi
    I have just bought one these, not had chance to set it up yet but it came with what appears to be a much better back lit remote control rather than the one in your review.
    Can you tell us what firmware level the review machine was.

Thanks

5. Petter88

Petter88
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say Lamp power: low, do you mean "economic" or "smart eco"? Like the color settings and have been wondering a bit what lamp setting would be the best. Just bought the projector at a discount due to the release of the w1350

6. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
    Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,622
    Yes I mean Economic.

7. Petter88

Petter88
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for a quick answer!

Economic also means lower noise, which is really sweet. The manual States lower lamp hours then on smart eco thou, no idea how or why as I would guess the lamp will usually be on higher effect with smart eco.

Will be using economic from now on, sorry if the answer was obvious, wanted to be sure. Thank you for a good review! Weighed in heavily on my choice (almost went with the optoma hd26)

8. Maldestra

Maldestra
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sorry to revive an old thread.
    I've just got myself a W1300 and with your settings it looks brilliant in 2D!
    However, I can't seem to make it look as brilliant in 3D.
    I can see it has been brought up before, but is it possible to get the calibrated settings for 3D?

9. joker18

joker18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    HI Guys!
    I used the settings and it looks very good now. I had trouble with red which was way off in many dark scenes.

I want to ask you guys about the ISF settings. Why are they gray? How can they be activated?

Same goes for SmartEco it is grayed out and I cannot select it.

10. joker18

joker18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Guys I want to share my calibration settings for my Benq w1300 2D and 3D.
    My projector has about 700 hours lamp life. And has a similar behavior like the one reviewed , 100% green goes a bit towards yellow. (it cannot get on target).
    Calibration was done using HCFR + colormunki Display.
    HDMI Settings - Video Signal (sellecting PC signal black becomes gray and contrast goes close to 100:1)

Preset Mode: User1
    Brightness: 52
    Contrast: 52 (I went up with contrast to get better blacks) 1051:1
    Sharpness: 13
    Colour Temperature: Normal
    Lamp Power: SmartECO
    Advanced
    Colour Temperature Fine Tuning: (Red Gain 86, Green 86, Blue 83; Red Offset 258, Green 256, Blue 256)
    Gamma Selection: 2.4
    Brilliant Colour: On ( increases contrast without damage)
    Colour Management: (Red - H 46, G 68, S 49; Green - H 73, G 62, S 71; Blue - H60, G 54, S 50; Cyan - H 61, G 57, S 53; Magenta - H68, G 61, S 50; Yellow - H 67, G 60, S 43)

I also have a 3dLUT for this profile to correct non linear behavior but result are as good as possible

For 3D Content - This was very tricky I had to do calibration trough the shutter-glasses.
    Preset Mode :User3 - 3D
    Brightness: 50
    Contrast: 60 (A lot of light is lost because of the glasses so I consider this is the best way to compensate) 537:1
    Sharpness: 13
    Colour Temperature: Normal
    Lamp Power: SmartECO
    Advanced
    Colour Temperature Fine Tuning: (Red Gain 94, Green 91, Blue 94; Red Offset 257, Green 256, Blue 256)
    Gamma Selection: 2.0
    Brilliant Colour: On ( the only way to get white close to D65 in 3D)
    Colour Management: (Red - H 43, G 50, S 49; Green - H 73, G 52, S 70; Blue - H67, G 38, S 60; Cyan - H 76, G 63, S 68; Magenta - H55, G 50, S 52; Yellow - H 75, G 52, S 44)

Due to high contrast and low luminance of Blue there is a error of 6,7 on 100 White. but the rest of the gray scale is very good. Color accuracy is not perfect but acceptable. 3D calibration was a very difficult process to find the correct balance. Every small change had big a influence on global result.
    In case you find the 3D Profile to dark for daytime use, increase contrast. Do not increase brightness, it has the worst effect possible.
    If you used 3D with standard settings and Briliant color off at fist you will find you 3D content to look stange but belive me it shouldn't look yellow/red as it did.
    Depending on the glasses you use there might be differences in White temperature. I calibrated using original Benq Glasses. The Sainsonic 904 give similar results but the Andoer G15 change the White temperature. So keep in mind depending on glasses you use there might be small differences.

Last edited: May 5, 2016