BenQ W1080ST grey or ALR screen

coolenough

Novice Member
Hey guys, long time forum reader but first time poster. I never realised how difficult it was trying to sort out a screen suitable for my room. I've searched online and taken into account any information from this forum but still don't know the best solution.

I've got a BenQ 1080ST projector, I've had it 3-4 yrs and rarely used it but when I did it would be projected onto a white wall. I've decided to treat myself to an electric screen which will come down in front of my wall mounted TV.

The problem I have is the ambience in the room, the walls and ceiling are white and it's a light coloured carpet.

I was initially thinking of an ALR screen but based on the information on this forum it won't be suitable as my throw ratio would be too low (0.69 – 0.83). The projector won't be ceiling mounted and will just be on a low table.

I then thought about a grey screen so experimented with a grey bedsheet to see how it looks. I've checked the measurements and 120" would be suitable for the room. I double checked everything on the 'projector central' website in regards to throw distance.

I've attached some pictures to give you an idea of how it looks. I watched some scenes from 'Our Planet' and you can see the light being scattered everywhere, you see the details clearly on the grey sheet whereas the whites are all blown out.

I then checked out 'John Wick 3' and the image on the grey fabric is just too dark especially in the desert scenes. I presume this is because there's no light getting reflected back from the sheet? If I get a 0.8 or 0.9 gain screen would that help with the brightness on a grey screen?

Changing wall/ceiling colour is not an option at this point. I would have liked to get some screen samples but they only tend to be for fixed screens and they're fabric not PVC.

My budget is £300-£400 but don't know what to do. ALR seemed the best as would have helped with light bouncing of the ceiling and I'll be mainly using it at night. I was about a purchase a cheap grey screen but recent reviews from some of the members here are not giving them a thumbs up.

HELP AVFORUMS YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE.

IMG_20201003_205129.jpg

IMG_20201003_204730.jpg
IMG_20201003_205039.jpg
IMG_20201003_211933.jpg
IMG_20201003_210356.jpg
IMG_20201004_113008.jpg
IMG_20201003_204715.jpg

moujik

I was also gonna go with a grey screen, until I projected something that had grey in it and I could see more detail on a white side of the blackout cloth.
I have a BenQ HT2150ST sitting on a table, short throw as well, but I have at least a couple of feet from the white ceiling to the top of the screen and don't seem to get nearly as much reflecting light. I would experiment with placing the pj lower, so you get some head room.

Last edited:

coolenough

Novice Member
I was also gonna go with a grey screen, until I projected something that had grey in it and I could see more detail on a white side of the blackout cloth.
I have a BenQ HT2150ST sitting on a table, short throw as well, but I have at least a couple of feet from the white ceiling to the top of the screen and don't seem to get nearly as much reflecting light. I would experiment with placing the pj lower, so you get some head room.
Hi, thanks for the advice.
Did you end up buying a white screen or do you just continue projecting to a cloth?

If the white screen is better I may as well just buy an Optoma or Sapphire screen. I could maybe get a smaller size and lower it as far as it can go so i'm as far down as possible from the ceiling.

moujik

Hi, thanks for the advice.
Did you end up buying a white screen or do you just continue projecting to a cloth?

If the white screen is better I may as well just buy an Optoma or Sapphire screen. I could maybe get a smaller size and lower it as far as it can go so i'm as far down as possible from the ceiling.
I was gonna make a screen from the blackout cloth (it's very smooth, more expensive one at £7/m), but I nailed it to the wall temporarily and I liked the result too much :) it's 3 x 1.4m. I was gonna go with a constant height setup, but now I'm using the whole width (anamorphic 128") or whole height (16:9 112"). The width is certainly enough for me from 11ft watching distance. I like the idea that film picture size is bigger than series/sports picture size..

Anyway they say, the best viewing eyes height is 1/3 from the bottom of the picture and your setup seems to allow you a big enough picture to fit this advice even extending from near the floor.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom