Benq W1070 variable picture quality

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by daveb975, Apr 19, 2016.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    I watched the Force Awakens Blu Ray on my W1070 last night and was surprised by the poor picture quality. Some scenes were outstanding but others just seemed blurred or slightly out of focus.

I came on here this morning to see that the review of the disc gave a 10 for Picture and most of the comments seem to agree with that, so I am starting to think that there is something wrong with my PJ or settings.

I could understand if the picture was universally poor, but it isn't, it was actually stunning at times. I have had this with some other discs as well, but just assumed that they were poor transfers which is obviously not the case with this one.

Anyone else had similar?

2. Alan1978

Alan1978
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I watched it on Monday morning on my benq w1070 I didn't notice any picture problems, thought it looked great, nice and sharp,good colours and great sound fx.i think some people have had a dodgy lens on the w1070 where the picture in in focus across most of the screen out out of focus in the corners ?

3. sim12

sim12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I completely agree i watched it on a panasonic pt-at6000e , i think it was shot that way , kind of keeping some of the 70`s vhs type of picture in scenes , but when movies are given a high picture rating alot of the time its not just aimed at the sharpness of the image but as the full movie is delivered.

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Mine is definitely sharp across the screen. If there is any difference in the corners, it is too minor to notice.

The problem with Star Wars was mainly with face shots in the centre of the screen. In one scene, there was a close up of Rey that was just razor sharp, then it goes to Finn and it looked like they forgot to focus the camera.

I had a quick look at it on my 55" Samsung LED and it looks fine at my normal viewing distance, but the same effect is still there if you go up close. I suppose the projector is just exaggerating the problems because of the screen size, but it is just strange it is on some scenes and not others.

I assume that the review was based on watching the Blu Ray on a TV rather than a projector.

5. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    They definitely tried to keep the look and feel, but I just don't understand why a lot of it was so sharp, whilst some was really soft.

6. Alan1978

Alan1978
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well it's given me a reason to watch it again. I'll keep an eye out