• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Benq w1070 strange noise

Garryoo2

Novice Member
hi

I have a benq w1070 projector hooked up via a 10meter Ethernet hdmi extender which is all working fine while I use my android box via it but when I send my sky or bluray signal threw it there is a constant drone comes from the projector.
I don't change cables or settings it's all hooked up to my pioneer receiver so it's just a case of changing channels has anybody got any idea what this may be?

Thanks

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Is it the on-board fan? Mine makes different drones ,maybe to deal/compensate with dark and light scenes but my Panasonic pt ae900 did this also

Garryoo2

Novice Member
Ah it might didn't realise they had a onboard fan aswell the only way I can describe it is like a electrical humming but the part that don't make sense is it only does it when I'm watching sky or a bluray it's alright on my android box and Xbox

cypher007

Established Member
could be something to do with the different signal frequencies, I would think the android might be 60hz while the sky is probably 50hz and the blu ray is 24hz.

cypher007

Established Member
another thought, is it some sort of earth loop through the hdmi extender which is making noise through the built in speaker?

Garryoo2

Novice Member
It is very close to a ground loop noise I had that with my sub before I changed it but again wouldn't you think that would come threw with everything?

Would there be anyway of correcting it if it was the hz.?

Garryoo2

Novice Member
Hi after trying pretty much every setting I think I've worked out what's causing it everytime the signal to the projector goes to 50hz it gives the noise but running at 60hz there is no noise.

The only problem is I don't know how to resolve it any ideas?

Idle Bull

Established Member
Had a quick google and it seems different refresh rates = different colour wheel speeds. (Although there's some confusion as to the actual speeds).

However, these speeds seem to crop up quite a bit :-

1080/50 6x
1080/60 5x
1080/24 3,2x
1080/24 4,8x (3D)

So it looks like the extra wheel speed at 50hz is probably causing the noise.

not sure what the solution is for you.

Also, the faster the wheel spins, the less you're likely to see the rainbow effect.

Garryoo2

Novice Member
That's perfect I've been trying to google it for a while I never got any of that think I need to work on my keyword searches lol

Looks about right tho as I've managed to get the bluray player to stop making the noise by changing the settings so it's not running at 50hz I can live without watching sky threw the projector lol

Thanks again for all the help if anybody does come up with a complete solution I'd appreciate it but I'm happy for now

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom