benq w1070+ cannot play 3d...?

k300

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have just purchased benq w1070+and i cannot play 3d from my ps3 grand tourismo 5 allows 3d tv..however the 3d option on my projector setting is greyed out so i cant select it?

I been checking online and it says i have to update firmware to new 1.08 at the moment i have 1.03.

How do you do this?

Thanks

I have just purchased benq w1070+and i cannot play 3d from my ps3 grand tourismo 5 allows 3d tv..however the 3d option on my projector setting is greyed out so i cant select it?

I been checking online and it says i have to update firmware to new 1.08 at the moment i have 1.03.

How do you do this?

Thanks
You have 2 options, safe or hard. Safe is to send it to Benq who will update the firmware, takes a couple of weeks. Hard is to do it yourself, which runs the risk of breaking the PJ, not a recommended route.it will also invalidate any warranty you have.
Are you sure you are reading the info you have right as the firmware you are referring to is for the 1070 not the + version.
Do you have an amp or anything else between the PJ and ps3?.

Mine is 1.03 and does 3D fine. I suspect it's the handshaking between the PS3 and BenQ. My PS4 has the same issue. And it's to do with the power up order. If I switch my amp to the PS4 when the BenQ is on my PS4 thinks the BenQ is not 3D. If I leave everything on, but power down the BenQ, then turn it back on again the PS4 then recognises it as 3D. I know when the PS4 sees it as a 3D device as I get an extra option in the PS4's screen options to set the screen size.

Doing a quick search, when the PS3 recognises a 3D display it should say "Your TV supports the viewing of 3D content" and ask you to set the screen size 92" etc. If this doesn't happen then like mine I suspect it's not handshaking right. There is an article here for the PS3 that says you can manually set it to 3D :-

Configuring PlayStation 3 For 3D Output

Just dug out my old PS3 and done some testing. I have same BenQ and firmware as you and can confirm it works fine with my PS3. Didn't need to touch the BenQ and as soon as the PS3 played the BD the BenQ auto flipped to 3D mode.

Here's the menu on the PS3 to set the screen size, which confirms the PS3 thinks you have a 3D display. I did this same setup on my non 3D TV and the option didn't pop up then.
16756240325_e9e718c279_o.jpg

Frozen in 3D
16548980397_bde28b6f8b_o.jpg

I followed this steps

Configuring PlayStation 3 For 3D Output

But when i go to step 5 and choose automatic it goes blank and benq says hdmi 1 source searching and then just goes back to step 5 choose auto or custom.

Whats happening with this ? I am also using 1.4a hdmi cable which benq told me to use.

I changed 3d setting on pj to side by side only option other is 3d off and just blanks and goes to step 5.

help

When it does the auto detect do you get the screen that says "can you read this screen"?
16192473073_085fb72e5d_o.jpg

If not I suspect it's taken longer than 15 seconds to sync and so timed out or you've pressed x on the 'no' option. If you press yes on the above screen it then goes on to see the screen below.
16756240325_e9e718c279_o.jpg

If you've seen the top screen and pressed yes and then you do not get the screen above asking to set screen size, then I suspect your HDMI cable it good enough to support the 3D signal. See if you can try another, maybe a short one temporarily just to try.

What HDMI cable are you using and how long is it?

I changed hdmi to another and it works now. I get the ps3 message of 3d viewing.
Interesting this.

I may want to ask benq to upgrade my projector.

it does blink alot about 8 times choosing the correct settings and stuff when i go to the game and after the game is finished goes to ps3 screen blinks alot. Then stabilises after.

Thanks

Ok cool, sounds like you're sorted. Why thinking about upgrade projector, haven't you just proved it's the HDMI cable? My projector is brand new, same firmware as yours and has no issues, now I know which order to turn things on.

How long was the cable you were using. It seems strange that it was that as there is no such thing as 1.4a cable that is the standard for the hardware. Cable is rated high speed or not. Sometimes though long cables can have a problem with 3D or it could have been a dodgy connection on the cable.

I originally had hdmi cable which came with the ps3 hoping it would allow 3d as it didnt i purchased a 1.4 hdmi cable. The 1.4a cable kept showing green dots weird.

I originally had hdmi cable which came with the ps3 hoping it would allow 3d as it didnt i purchased a 1.4 hdmi cable. The 1.4a cable kept showing green dots weird.

Green dots is the effect of bandwidth issue. I bet they aren't there if you lower the resolution. Typically something you see if it's a long cable and the quality isn't good enough to handle the length.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom