BenQ W1050 1080P DLP Projector Review & Comments

Good point about the fan noise frequency - these new Benqs all suffer from it. I found the pitch to be unbearable.

I also don't quite get why they keep churning out new models....doesn't seem to be any different to their previous models?

Good point about the fan noise frequency - these new Benqs all suffer from it. I found the pitch to be unbearable.

I also don't quite get why they keep churning out new models....doesn't seem to be any different to their previous models?

This is very sad thing to read, cause the noise is very important factor to me aswell. I think the W1110 was said to be quiet, also W2000. And now going backwards? I have 1080ST+ and it`s quite terrible sitting at coffee table (not that close to me). Smart eco mode is even worse cause the sound will change when the picture get`s brighter etc. My bulp exploded also at age of 2years / hours about half what it should last. Warranty is over with the machine also. Not sure will i buy the new bulp if it has damaged the projector, i asked about customer support but i need to send it to Benq so they can check it or i risk buying new lamp and hope it works. Benq not high on my list next time i choose projector. Picture quality for the price is fine though!

This is very sad thing to read, cause the noise is very important factor to me aswell
Fan noise with these small home entertainment models is a fact of life I'm afraid. The bulbs just get so hot in that little box that they require powerful fan.
The only thing you can do if fan noise is a deal breaker is go for a bigger home cinema model, you could pick up a decent used one for the price of this Benq. Even then, it will never be inaudible.

Agree. They would be better concentrating on a short throw 4K UHD to replace W1080ST as there’s nothing 4K short throw out there at the moment.

Having just bought one of these to replace my long serving VPL-VW50 I'm very impressed with the marked improvement in picture quality for such a budget projector, subjectively it looks great.

I'm interested in what adjustments you made to get such a good tracking result as no matter what I do, I can't seem to stop blue/magenta portions of colour bars from being polluted by green?

I should point I'm using colour filters to assess this as I don't have access to colorimeters etc, so this may be the issue.

Any advice is appreciated.

Having just bought one of these to replace my long serving VPL-VW50 I'm very impressed with the marked improvement in picture quality for such a budget projector, subjectively it looks great.

I'm interested in what adjustments you made to get such a good tracking result as no matter what I do, I can't seem to stop blue/magenta portions of colour bars from being polluted by green?

I should point I'm using colour filters to assess this as I don't have access to colorimeters etc, so this may be the issue.

Any advice is appreciated.
Hello,

I've got the same model, and would be interested as well in your settings. Did you manage to get the ones from the test ?

Cheers

Nicolas

Hello,

I've got the same model, and would be interested as well in your settings. Did you manage to get the ones from the test ?

Cheers

Nicolas
I'm afraid not, yours is the only response so far.

I calibrated mine by eye using a combination of the Avia DVD and Curry's Picture Perfect BD so it's a relatively crude calibration by modern standard, but it looks good to my eyes.

My settings may not map well to another projector (which would be the same issue with the settings from the test) and will be affected by your screen, but I can post them if you like?

I'm afraid not, yours is the only response so far.

I calibrated mine by eye using a combination of the Avia DVD and Curry's Picture Perfect BD so it's a relatively crude calibration by modern standard, but it looks good to my eyes.

My settings may not map well to another projector (which would be the same issue with the settings from the test) and will be affected by your screen, but I can post them if you like?

If you can that'd be nice :)

Attachments

• full-9290002.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 261
  • full-9290003.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 225
  • full-9290004.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 223
  • full-9290005.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 213
  • full-9290006.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 205
  • full-9290007.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 217
  • full-9290008.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 213
Here you go, I thought it might be easier to just insert screen captures of the menus.

Thxs a lot mate :) I'll try yours and as soon as I have a bit of time, I'll try to calibrate it myself so we can exchange settings

Does the new 2200 ANSI model also suffer from the brightness scene change bug in Smart Eco mode ?
It reminds me of a cheap laptop LED screen.

I'm quoting from a amazon review on the previous model regarding the bug:

BenQ W1050 2000 ANSI

There is one fly in the ointment, and that is an issue with the Smart Eco mode for the lamp; this tries to dynamically adjust the light intensity according to the scene. This works perfectly on the W1110s - it's the mode I use all the time - but on the newer projector it seems to struggle to keep up, and you quite often notice the lighting intensity change visibly a second or so after a scene change. Switching to Normal mode on the light fixed this, but this is nominally at a cost of the lifetime of the bulb. It's probably fixable in firmware, but out of the box, Smart Eco mode has issues.

Does the new 2200 ANSI model also suffer from the brightness scene change bug in Smart Eco mode ?
It reminds me of a cheap laptop LED screen.

I'm quoting from a amazon review on the previous model regarding the bug:

BenQ W1050 2000 ANSI

There is one fly in the ointment, and that is an issue with the Smart Eco mode for the lamp; this tries to dynamically adjust the light intensity according to the scene. This works perfectly on the W1110s - it's the mode I use all the time - but on the newer projector it seems to struggle to keep up, and you quite often notice the lighting intensity change visibly a second or so after a scene change. Switching to Normal mode on the light fixed this, but this is nominally at a cost of the lifetime of the bulb. It's probably fixable in firmware, but out of the box, Smart Eco mode has issues.
Hello,

I've got the W1050 model, and I'm using the Smart Eco Mode. To be honest, I haven't noticed anything like this guy describe.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom